• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Montana Wolf Hunt

BigMikey

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2009
Miles City, MT
Hey guys, a friend and I have got a 10 day wolf hunt planned for the 6th of January in Montana. I was just curious if some of my Western MT boys have been seeing many big dogs over there. I've been getting some good reports for the Helena/Lincoln area, but just thought I would see if anyone on here had any good areas, or been successful this year. Thanks guys

Re: Montana Wolf Hunt

I live in the mission valley, ive been hunting north of here where I have seen wolves in the past but I havn't ran into one since they opened a season. A friend of mine saw 4 wolves on a elk carcase the other day...no gun!

We have lots of wolves but they are elusive, I havn't figured out a good way to get on them yet. They cover such big areas.

I would get somewhere you can see lots of country and glass! Helena could be good, or Dillon/Ennis area.

Good luck! Post pics if you nail one.

MTyotehunter, is it legal to use electronic calls hunting wolves in your area ?

I've been itching to come up that way for a wolf hunt but budget hasn't allowed.

I have heard there is a pack running up in that "Spotted Dog" area over on the Deer Lodge side of the unit. (I also heard it is best accessed by horse back, not much access) Another place I have heard is over by the Monida pass area.

Good luck. I bought a tag when I went up elk hunting this year. They didn't say it ahead of time but they put a five day waiting period on the tags, so it wasn't "legal" to shoot until a few days before I came home....didn't matter cause I didn't see one to shoot, legal or otherwise...:)

Good luck to you I hope you guys get into them! Some other good spots (which also offer accessibility issues would be the Absaroka Beartooth, and the Bob Marshall Wilderness areas, the guides have been having issues with them in those spots)

It's a great hunt, but the odds are low for success....last year 18,000 licenses sold with 166 wolves taken state wide.

When pressured, they are extremely wary. Lose the crowd and get away from the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broknbonz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MTyotehunter, is it legal to use electronic calls hunting wolves in your area ?

I've been itching to come up that way for a wolf hunt but budget hasn't allowed. </div></div>

No, unfortunatly it is ilegal to use electronic calls for wolf hunting...
I have been trying elk bugles and cow talk, wolves dont know the rut is over;)
My father called one in with a cow call during archery season but didn't get a shot.

thanks guys, heading out tomorrow! not sure if I'll even see any let alone get a shot, but I do know I wont get shot at one sitting on my couch. I'm an avid coyote hunter and can hardly handle the excitement of that, so I just have to try for the big dogs.

MTWolf011.jpg

Here's a little primer for you.....

Nice! I would love to get the opportunity to hunt one and it would be nice to get one to the taxidermist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MTWolf011.jpg

Here's a little primer for you..... </div></div>

that picture makes me smile !!

PGS that is a serious animal.They must make for a fantastic hunting experience.

I've been trying to get info from Richie Outfitters in Idaho for a wolf trip but getting info from them is like pulling teeth.

Tell me which is better hunting (i.e., better chance of success), MT or ID?

Great dog PGS!! We were out looking today, wolves had moved the elk herd I had been watching, found the elk 6 miles from there but couldn't find the Wolves. One coyote stood at 475 and got shot!
P1030265_zps4c7684b2.jpg

Always amazes me how big these dogs are. Do you guys just check out elk heards or do you actively call to get success?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broknbonz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MTyotehunter, is it legal to use electronic calls hunting wolves in your area ?

I've been itching to come up that way for a wolf hunt but budget hasn't allowed. </div></div>

Electronics are allowed in Idaho now FYI ...