• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

The wildlife sideshow at this match can be pretty good. Deer and turkey mostly, but elk and bear as well - all pretty much oblivious to gunfire and the clanging of targets. Its pretty common to have to stop the clock and wait for the critters to move away from the targets. The toms put on a good show this weekend with their strutting and gobbling around the targets. Congrats to Rick on the win, Tom (not the turkey) as best old fart, Chris with the 308 and Seth as FNG - from the memory of an old fart, so I hope I got it right.

Thanks! It was fun.

Sat swap meet, I have a box (20-each) once fired Weatherby 300Weatherby Mag cases. I'm driving a blue Ford Ranger. Look me up if you want them - FREE

For the Colorado folks, I have a couple new in wrap 30-round PMags, gen 2 (not M2 or MOE). I would like to get $12-each, or trade for?

Got a box of 140 A-MAX 6.5's. Black Honda Accord. Sure do like Berger 140 hybrids and 142 smk...

Hit me up if you want to share a hotel :)

Last edited:
Great match guys! Talk about interesting wind... Whew!

Also, isn't it great that this match has been around for 10 years?? I think this match has just the right level of difficulty - not too hard for beginners, just difficult enought that no one has ever shot a perfect score. It is certainly my favourite match.

A big thanks to Mike and the guys who run the match!

Does the Magnum match this Sunday really start at 0730?

Past Magnum matches haven't started until 0900 or so......

.....thinking of driving down Sunday morning at 0'Dark Thirty and wanna time it correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Starbuck: I can't make the Magnum match, but I just happened to be on the phone with the match director a few minutes ago and asked him your question. He said the match starts at 8:00 and that sight-in will get going about 7:15.

When are we going to see the results from the May SRM?

I'm excited to finally say I should be attending this match very soon. My rifle is getting a bed job done right now, then a vacation for me. After that I should be gearing up for my first trip to Raton!

Whoo Boy this match was a hot one... and a long one, too - massive turnout
I think this was the most physically challenging Raton match i have ever shot.

The wind was up to it's usual tricks again too...

Again a big thanks to Mike Kolar and the crew for making it happen!

I was exhausted after shooting the July match (my first one btw). Hot as hell ( I hate heat!). I drained my camel back and 3 20oz gaterades, and was still thirsty by the end of the day. But had a hell of a lot fun, will come back.

Crazy winds yesterday. Got my ass handed to me. Pulled the 300 barrel this moring and screwed the 6CM barrel back on. Lesson learned.

Crazy winds yesterday. Got my ass handed to me. Pulled the 300 barrel this moring and screwed the 6CM barrel back on. Lesson learned.

Hi Hoser -

Reading your comment above... what was it about the .300 win mag that bothered you? I would have thought that caliber would be great for bucking the wind. Recoil too much over an extended period of shooting? Somthing else?

Hi Hoser -

Reading your comment above... what was it about the .300 win mag that bothered you? I would have thought that caliber would be great for bucking the wind. Recoil too much over an extended period of shooting? Somthing else?

I dont spend much time behind heavy kickers, mostly just little 6mm calibers as I am a delicate flower.

Managing recoil was a huge deal for me. Seeing hits/misses was not happening with those 230s.

And yes, after 70-ish rounds I was done.

Yep, it was a hot and long day but I had fun. Didn't do as well as I'd've liked but that's the breaks. Thanks for all who set it up and nice to see a good turn out.

I dont spend much time behind heavy kickers, mostly just little 6mm calibers as I am a delicate flower.

Managing recoil was a huge deal for me. Seeing hits/misses was not happening with those 230s.

And yes, after 70-ish rounds I was done.

Yep, same thing with my 30-375R. Does crazy good in the wind with those 230 hybrids but harder to see misses on the closer targets.

How many revs did those 250Y steels swing Hozer?

I hosed myself down with bug spray right before the match, and it paid off, I only had one bite on my left arm. Also helped that I was wearing a long sleeve shirt.

LOL, I got away unscaved. bug spray, long sleeve shirt (with hood) and pants for the win. HEHEHE, in this new competition does the most bites win or the least?

BTW does anyone know Dennis that was on squad 5? does he have a SN on here? I was supposed to exchange contact info with him before we left and I forgot.

Last edited:
August 22-24 Sporting Rifle Team Match Reminder

Just a reminder to all competitors regarding ammunition restrictions for this match:

"In order to prevent target damage and wildfire hazard, SRM rule 2.2 prohibits steel core, steel jacketed, armor piercing, incendiary or tracer bullets. Since AR15 ammunition with these characteristic is commonly available, shooters should expect inspection and/or magnet testing of their ammo. Shooters should magnet test their own ammo prior to attending the match."

We still have a few team slots available. If interested check the info here: The NRA Whittington Center Sporting Rifle Match

Hey huntinggamo. This is Dennis that was on squad 5 with you. I sent you a PM with my info, not sure if you got. Hope things are going good.

Is there going to be a "sight-in" practice on this Friday? Or only the regular early morning sight in on Saturday morning before the team match?

I want to shout out a sincere THANK YOU to Mr. Kolar and his crew for putting on this match! Great fun trying to hit those targets on stage 4 with an AR15... I nearly emptied a 30 round mag trying to hit them...

Sounds like this is going to become an annual thing!

Saturday Swap-meet - I'm heading down for the last SRM of the season. If anyone is interested I can bring the following:

NIB Premier Tactical 3-15 Scope, as listed in the optics section.
700 or more Norma 6.5 130-gr Diamond Line moly-coated match bullets.
Like new Sako TRG bipod, it's been attached to the rifle, but never fielded.

Contact me via PM or email before 8AM Friday, and I'll make sure they're on the truck Heading to Raton.

Thanks!

Alpine - could you please bring that TRG Bipod? I would like to play with it for a little bit. PM me a price that you are looking for...

I had a great time yesterday, thanks for the opportunity. Couldn't have asked for better weather and about 4 trillion fewer mosquitos than last month too!

could not agree more.... nice and overcast in the AM, not too hot, and yes the mozzies seem to be (mostly) gone. :)
Gonna be a long wait till next year...

The match was great, and the weather was perfect. The morning clouds didn't bring any rain, the afternoon wasn't too hot, and the bugs weren't biting. Who can complain about that? :) I really thought it was going to rain based on the weather the night before, and was picturing a day spent laying in the mud. Fortunately it turned out really nice.

Unfortunately my duties at work keep me from making it to very many matches (a graveyard/weekend work schedule), and this was my first time at the Raton match. I really liked the match setup, and will definitely try to make it down there again whenever my schedule allows.

Zak,
i wish that were true but... that info has not been updated since the April match from 2016!

The latest target chart and rules are now up on the Sporting Rifle Match website. The target chart has changed substantially from the prior version. The only rule change is the reduced muzzle velocity limit of 3100 FPS for 2017. It will change to 3000 FPS in 2018.

The results from the Feb match are available at https://thunderbeastarms.com/forum/f...s-competition/ or through a link on the SRM website that takes you to the same place. This is how results will be posted going forward. Typically they will be available within 48 hours of the match unless I miss the match and Mike has to mail the score sheets to me. In that case, it will probably take 5 days or so.

Last edited:
Go to that link.

Click the link that says, "MATCH RESULTS ON FORUM - 2017+"

The Feb 2017 results are at the result of that link, titled,

"NRAWC Sporting Rifle Match Results - FEB 2017"
"RMField, Feb 7, 2017"

Planning on going with some friends from NM. Hope wind is not 25 - 30 mph like weather channel is predicting... maybe weatherman will be wrong.