• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

MORE 224 VALK

Quick questions: .224 Valk is based off of 6.8 spc case right?
Why did they choose that parent cartridge instead of the (my opinion) better Grendel case?
Are we going to see the .224 Predator/Grendel become SAAMI certified and another bias war between .224 Valk and .224 Pred?

I ask because I have a 6.5 Grendel and I'd rather not have to buy a whole new bolt to run .224 Valk.

Be Biased! - Lowlight
6.8 case head size is very similar to 10mm case head size. Just buy the bolt and then check out 338 spectre based off a 10mm magnum case are we talking ar bolt or bolt gun? If ar, you can never have too many different leggo pieces for our favorite big kid toy.

Reactions: Srikaleak
I think the fact that this case is somehow stepping on everyone's toes shows us that its not redundant. its not a .223 and its not a 22 creed. Dont expect it to be but dont ignore that its a great compromise. As far as the Grendel goes, in terms of ballistics there is some comparison but the .224 valk already has steam and is dirt cheap.

Reactions: lash
One factor in barrel life of 224V vs 5.56 is max chamber pressure. The 224V is designed to run at 55k psi whereas the NATO chamber is spec'd to 62.5kpsi (13% increase). I'm not certain of how hot the FTR guys run their 223s but I'd wager they tighten headspace/chamber specs and run them much closer to 62k (or more) than the Valkyries 55k book max.

Over the life of a barrel, it seems more than reasonable to expect 224V to match or exceed the accurate barrel life of a 5.56 NATO/223 Wylde style chamber when run near maximum SAAMI pressure.

Then again accuracy is all relative; for some uses, 3/4 MOA sucks and for others 3/4 MOA is still a tack driver.

I wonder if its a coincidence that the army is moving to 6.8 SPC, Perhaps we will now see SAPR's chambered in 224 valk on the frontlines.
Is this true? I thought 6.8 spc I/II was rejected years ago.
Edit: someone beat me to it.

So far I like my 224. I sold my 24" barrel in favor of a 20" on the AR. New 20" barrel comes in day after tomorrow.

My old 24" barrel was 1:7 and didnt like the 90s really. It would shoot 88ELDs but was kind of picky with everything else. So the new 20" tube is 1:6.5 so I'm excited to see how it does with 90s.

I do enjoy shooting it, I mostly like the fact I can push 75gr-90gr pills out of my small frame AR. Comes in handy for a lot of shooting/hunting that I do.

As long as it's not crazy expensive per round i will continue to shoot and give much love to my 224 its just another choice of what to shoot that day for fun, less recoil that my 308 which i still love to shoot . A tad bit less recoil than my 223 maybe not really sure on that , but I like them all / cheap/ works well i do notice of those two gas guns the 223 gets a tad hotter in the barrel way faster it may only be construction it may not be no idea . still waiting to try it at further than 600 yard ranges . I do not believe i would pay more than i am for the ammo which is around 75grain 8.88 per box with free shipping. But after watching that one video of the guy who reloads shooting to 600 yards so far, and his group sizes have really made me want to try reloading .

Intrigued by Frank's recent comments on the reasons for the Left Hand Gain Twist barrel -- as a left-handed shooter, will look for a RHGT.