• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More bipod stuff

ykrvak

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've read a lot of threads regarding people's opinions on all the choices that are available now. I've been shooting a Harris since 2008 and with the completion on my new rifle would like to try something new. The rifle specs are M70 classic LA, McMillan game warden, 22" Bartlein #4 sporter contour (basically a sendero contour), and will probably be topped off with an old school NXS F1 3.5-15 although I have been drooling over the ZCO 4-20.

I thought I had it narrowed down to either the TBAC or an Atlas CAL. However, I've been eyeing the Elite Iron recently and although the price tag is giving me pause, people really seem to like them. This rifle will be getting carried A LOT as well as being my primary centerfire range rifle. I know it won't be light, but that doesn't bother me. What will bother me is if it gets too bulky and is constantly hanging up on willows, alders, ect.... of those three the only one I've actually gotten to see in real life is the EI. It wasn't small, but i don't think it was in the same class as an Atlas 5H or super CAL. Of course, I've never seen those. I know the CAL is a little smaller than the TBAC, but how does the TBAC compare to the EI in size? Also, for those that have used more than one of these, do you feel the added expense of the EI is justified by significant added stability??? I'm going around and around with this, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the CAL, SCAL and Elite Iron.
I’d rate them
Elite iron
SCAL
CAL,,,,,if you Value something a bit more compact the CAL beats the SCAL.

How do the SCAL and EI compare in size/bulk?
SCAL is way bulkier than the EI.
EI is surprisingly slim when folded and you ca rotate it and if lays flat in a case or bag.

B65033AE-4C1D-4992-BE14-9249B615A468.jpeg

Last edited:
I not Mr. Experienced with bipods, but I have a Harris and a Scal. The Scal, well, I really wouldn’t want to walk in the woods with a Scal attached.

Come to think about it, I’ve never even used a sling with the Scal attached. It’s so wide, I wonder if it’ll hit my back or head (I carry like a regular ol’ hunter). It’s on a gun I never, ever plan on carrying more than from my car to a bench (range bench or portable swivel bench for prairie dog shooting).

Anyway, something to think about.

Reactions: ykrvak
This is probably the worst case application with a Scal and walking around hunting. The gun is a CZ 455 Ultra Lux .22 LR. I don’t have easy access to my other guns at this sec, so I just laid it on top of the Scal (which I like, btw). Gun only has a sling stud, you see.

Worst case: thin gun, phat bipod:

C69588AD-5A4D-4673-9C7D-BE6BA8C0EF90.jpeg

One thing in favor of a Scal/cal is it’ll work easier on a wide variety of guns, whereas the Elite Iron, not so much. It’s optimized for a certain pic rail to barrel distance and doesn’t have a universal QR. On some guns, EI makes a QR, but I’m unsure how well/easy it works.

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks guys! That helps confirm my impressions of the EI from the couple times I've handled one.

I'm assuming that even though the TBAC is a little wider than the CAL and has a higher apex, that it's still more similar to the CAL in terms of stability than it is to the EI? Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Another thing to think about is how you want the legs to work. Do you want to fold them towards the butt, so they don’t hang up on stuff? Do you want them to lock when folded, so they don’t spring open when they grab a branch?

Scal/cal lock wherever you put them, and they fold forwards and back.

I just got a Tier One Evolution mounted--wanted something with a high axis, tilt only, relatively light and low profile. View attachment 7300099
View attachment 7300100
I had bought one of those before I got the Scal. I returned it because it just would not work with most of my traditionally wood stocked rifles. I had mistakenly thought the forend could fit within the “U” like the LRA bipods https://www.eurooptic.com/long-range-accuracy-f-class-bipod.aspx. As you can see, the Tier One is pretty narrow and is designed with either a spigot in mind or a pic rail that is right at the end of the forend (or even juts out a bit). Bad pics on Tier One’s site.

It’s really nice, though, if you have the right rifle.

I think I’m going to try a EI and keep it on that gun, keep the Scal and use the Harris for sling swivel guns that I don’t want to modify with a permanent pic rail. Those stud to pic rail adapters don’t work that great, in my experience. Too much wiggle, even when I tighten them down.

Last edited: