• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More elevation for ELR rimfire

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Just had a range trip where I planned to shoot a mile with one of my centerfires, but part of the range was closed leaving the furthest target at 930 metres, which was a bit of 'been there, done that' for me with a centerfire.

So I got out my 22LR rimfire.

Pic is below, it's a Tikka T1x, 16 inch barrel, 20 MoA rail and Primary Arms GLx 4-16x50 FFP with a 30mm tube.

Furthest I'd shot with a rimfire prior to this was 200 yards.

Started off on steel plates with 252 metres (I use metres; the range where I'd done my previous max was measured in yards so change in units), then 400 metres and finally 452 metres (494 yards).

The 452 metres was tricky as I only have 14.5 mils of available elevation on my scope and 5 mils of holdover marks, but 452m required 26.5 mils of elevation, so ended up holding over on the unmarked part of the reticle. Managed to get consistent 452m hits on the plate by putting the lowest holdover mark on my reticle on a ground feature above the target.

Anyway, this one trip has got me addicted to ELR 22 rimfire.

Need more elevation on my setup. I'm thinking of either the Charlie Tarac prism

or the Cold Shot adjustable rail

I figure for 600 metres, I will need about 45 mils of elevation. 700 metres about 57 mils. Well outside of what I could achieve by getting a scope with a 34mm tube or a higher MoA fixed base.

Just wanted to check in on this thread to see if there is anyone who has used a prism or an adjustable base on a 22LR and how it went?

As you can see, the rifle doesn't have a full length top rail so a prism would have to be scope mounted ($$$ for mount, or change to chassis $$$$$). Not sure if I could leave the Cold Shot adjustable scope base on full time as it will raise the scope, so my comb will be too low for general shooting/plinking/normal range target.

i-gT55MmH-X2.jpg

Iv run a 40 moa base and have about 27 mils of adjustment plus another 20 hold over will get me out to 650 never stretched it out that far but I have done 500.

Iv run a 40 moa base and have about 27 mils of adjustment plus another 20 hold over will get me out to 650 never stretched it out that far but I have done 500.
Who makes a 40 MOA base for a T1x?

Just had a range trip where I planned to shoot a mile with one of my centerfires, but part of the range was closed leaving the furthest target at 930 metres, which was a bit of 'been there, done that' for me with a centerfire.

So I got out my 22LR rimfire.

Pic is below, it's a Tikka T1x, 16 inch barrel, 20 MoA rail and Primary Arms GLx 4-16x50 FFP with a 30mm tube.

Furthest I'd shot with a rimfire prior to this was 200 yards.

Started off on steel plates with 252 metres (I use metres; the range where I'd done my previous max was measured in yards so change in units), then 400 metres and finally 452 metres (494 yards).

The 452 metres was tricky as I only have 14.5 mils of available elevation on my scope and 5 mils of holdover marks, but 452m required 26.5 mils of elevation, so ended up holding over on the unmarked part of the reticle. Managed to get consistent 452m hits on the plate by putting the lowest holdover mark on my reticle on a ground feature above the target.

Anyway, this one trip has got me addicted to ELR 22 rimfire.

Need more elevation on my setup. I'm thinking of either the Charlie Tarac prism

or the Cold Shot adjustable rail

I figure for 600 metres, I will need about 45 mils of elevation. 700 metres about 57 mils. Well outside of what I could achieve by getting a scope with a 34mm tube or a higher MoA fixed base.

Just wanted to check in on this thread to see if there is anyone who has used a prism or an adjustable base on a 22LR and how it went?

As you can see, the rifle doesn't have a full length top rail so a prism would have to be scope mounted ($$$ for mount, or change to chassis $$$$$). Not sure if I could leave the Cold Shot adjustable scope base on full time as it will raise the scope, so my comb will be too low for general shooting/plinking/normal range target.

i-gT55MmH-X2.jpg
Only rimfire shooter here I've seen post one up, but is in a chassis with NV bridge:

I use a Charlie tarac on my 7mm and 338.
Mine is the adjustable macro model.
They certainly work, needed 79 mils for my furthest 7mm shots.

You could also consider the NF prisms in 50 and 100 moa I think.

Who makes a 40 MOA base for a T1x?
Easiest way to get 40 MoA is to use the Burris Signature rings with the inserts, to give you 0, 5, 10, 20, 30 or 40 MoA.... or a bit more if you have the rings closer than their nominal spacing, which you probably will. I've got these on a 308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Using a 25moa base with 30moa in the Burris XTR rings and an Arken SH4 and directly dial to 550 yards without holdover with my Anschutz Exemplar Pistol. Figure that will get me farther than is practical. Easy to get the needed moa increase as long as your scope can handle it. Burris rings work great for these longrange rimfires.

20210728_185058.jpg

Topstrap

Last edited:
I’m thinking of buying the Cold Shot 72 milliradian canting mount now. It’s the cheapest solution. Changing over the scope for a 34mm tube job would be more $$$ and still wouldn’t get me to 600 metres.

Like many of the above shooters I'm running the Burris Signature XTR rings also, I can't remember how much MOA I have between the base and the inserts though, at least 40 MOA. Long story short I have about 22 mils of adjustment which is enough for me to dial directly to 400 but I also have a good bit of holdover in the reticle if I need it. Yesterday I shot my Bergara at 440 (21.2 mils) and 476 (23.7 mils) yards and was pretty consistent on steel, it was a good day of shooting overall.

I got a Mil model of the Ertac mount and a 20MOA rail. i think the best set up would be a 40-50 mil rail, and the Ertac mount. That way you would not use the Ertac to zero, but have all that Ertac for extended ranges.

I’m liking the Ertac mounts because you need a mount no matter what, so why not get one with added functionality for a similar price to other high end mounts like Sphur. The Charlie Trac look cool though.