• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft More sponge painting fun

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
Decided to do a practice run on an unused Savage Mark II tupperware stock for a pattern I'm thinking about putting on an A2 Medalist. Forgive the crappy pictures - all I had was my iPhone today.

First, a base coat of Krylon Khaki:

IMG_0292.jpg

Then striped with OD:

IMG_0295.jpg

Then sponge khaki on top of the OD stripes. Multiple 'dabs' with light pressure works best in my experience, and take care to apply the paint evenly (not always easy on the first pass, as you can see)

IMG_0296.jpg

Then, sponge OD on top of the khaki stripes.

IMG_0298-1.jpg

On the other stock I have sponge painted, this is where I stopped. But after a couple months of reflection, I decided to try more colors to improve the depth of the camo.

So next was a light coating of Brown over the entire stock. IMO, a little of this stuff goes a LONG way to provide subtle depth and shadowing.

IMG_0303.jpg

Finally I tried a light coat of Woodland Green. This color jumps out at you on a brown/khaki/OD stock, so a very light application is important.

IMG_0307-1.jpg

At this point, I decided to go back over a few areas with a sponge covered in OD. This served to help break up some of the brown & woodland colors, as well as provide a more even finish on the stock.

Finished product:

IMG_0310.jpg

Re: More sponge painting fun

That will work. I have found the sponges so easy to work with and just as effective as anything else. I use a base coat of cerakote and go from there.

reclaimer1986,

Nice job. Amazing what you can do with a couple of sponges and a little imagination.
cool.gif

Regards, Paul.

Looks good, that's how I do mine
smile.gif

I'm gonna sponge the crap outta an XLR chassis in a couple weeks. Should be interesting...

That looks like it'd be way more effective than any of the digital patterns I've seen, and you don't need to mess around with stencils or anything. Plus it looks way more "factory" if that matters to you.

Did a Winchester with sponges,scope and all, before I sold it. Like how easy it is to blend. Also should be very easy to touch up or modify.
Eric