• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision MoroVision MonoCam NV Photos & Video

SkyPup

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2012
North FLorida
I finally got my MoroVision MonoCam and Olympus TG-820 digital camera hooked up to one of my ITT Pinnacle PVS-14s for taking NV videos and photographs.

The Olympus TG-820 camera is ruggedized and waterproof down to 33 feet and so is the PVS-14, so I could actually do some NV SCUBA filming sometime?[:p]

The camera takes 12MB photos and/or 1080P High Definition video, so this setup will really be nice for recording some of our hunts.

The camera also has a huge LCD in back, so I may be able to take some through the scope kill videos too.

I like it allot and will be putting it to good use soon....

http://morovision.com/monocam/monocam-kit-nepvs14-17.html

http://tnvc.com/shop/monocam-digita...vs-14-night-enforcer-gen3-pinnacle-monocular/

Here is a pic of the rear of the house and my KTM 690 Enduro just for kicks;

House%20NV.jpg

KTM%20NV.jpg

SIG 716, ACOG TA02,FLIR T-50, DBAL-D2, Truijicon RMR Hog Eliminator

SIG%20716%20NV.jpg

Will have to try out some DBAL-D2 IR laser videos next compared to Torch Pro!

DBAL-D2 IR laser @175 yards using MonoCam & ITT Pinnacle PVS-14 on very dark starry night:

DBAL%20D2%20IR%20Laser.jpg

Coon with IR laser @ 175 yards:

Coon.jpg

What other recording devices did you consider?

I can see why you would like a cam/video recorder. Did you consider a camcorder with still picture capability and rule it out due to weight?

just wondering, nice looking photos .

BB

BB, I have been using two of my Sony HandiCam mini-DV video recorders with appropriate lens adapters, they work very very nice for real time video, but are kind of heavy and awkward and fragile with the camera lens attachments, they take great video though though my PVS-14s I can always capture a photo out of the video stream if needed too. They require tripod mounting to keep things from shaking and being unuseable. They are expensive and not very portable when everything is hooked up and running for NV videos.

I also have been using Casio and Olympus SLR digital cameras with lens adapters and they can take some great photos and videos too, but also are very heavy and very awkward to be dragging around out in the woods. These units are too sensitive to be taking on long hikes out in the swamps and getting muddy and wet. They work nice on a clean stand setup in my backyard on my farm, but I won't be hiking around in the woods carrying them with me.

I got the MoroVision MonoCam with the Olympus TG-820 as it is a small portable easy to use NV video and photo system that is extremely rugged to take on long hikes out in the swamps and woods with us where we hunt all setup and ready to use at anytime. It takes HD video and high resolution photos and is resistant to mud, water, shock, etc. And it is super simple to use and ready to go in a heartbeat without any manipulation configuring things on my behalf somewhere out in the dark. When I take it out of my fanny pack deep in the woods, it is ready to use in two seconds with no flashlights or messing around, video or photo. All my other setups require allot of hassle getting ready and are not point and shoot setups in the field....

Last edited:
Excellent explanation, since I don't navigate terrain like you I think I will opt for a camcorder that takes better video (than my current cam) with generous megapixel still capability.

I guess I am one of those clean stand kinda guys :)

Just as an aside, I had never read the words fanny pack and deep woods together in a sentence.... :-O ;)

Thx,

BB

LOL on the fanny pack in the woods!!

Here are a couple of representative photos of my Thompson Center Contender with custom Match Grade Machine 20" 1:7" twist barrel with a Redfield 3-9X-50mm on it and some MonoCam PVS-14 photos of it and through the scope, my game cam tree is 175 yards, if I had a rest for the rifle the photos would be awesome, unfortunately this is only free hand wiggle.....

TC RIFLE:

TC%20Rifle.jpg

Game Cam Tree @ 175 yards no magnificaiton through the MonoCam & PVS-14

Game%20Cam%20Tree%20175%20Yards%20No%20Mag.jpg

Through the scope @ 6X with IR:

TC%206X%20IR.jpg

Through the scope @ 9X NO IR:

TC%209X%20No%20IR.jpg

Remember this is free hand, if I had a rifle rest it would be much much better....

OK, fellas, I finally nailed the BLOOMING HOLY GRAIL!

The LDI Neutral Density Filter works absolutely perfect and sheds the bloom, leaving a nice precise laser beam footprint!

DBAL%20D2%20Neutral%20Filter.jpg

MonoCam%20Front.jpg

Here are the photos of it from my MonoCam ITT PVS-14 setup at 175 yards using exact same camera settings, one set is 1X and the other set is zoomed in some for a close up of the beam footprint.

No%20Filter%20No%20Mag%20175%20Yards.jpg

Filter%20No%20Mag%20175%20Yards.jpg

Filter%20Mag%20175%20Yards.jpg

No%20Filter%20Mag%20175%20Yards.jpg

You just leave the filter cap on over the lasers for low power, and flip the cap over to use high power, super simple and it even works now if you had forgotten to flip the cap to begine with and then needed to use it...

Last edited:
This LDI Neutral Density filter works great on the DBAL-D2, there is another model available for the DBAL-I2 and OTAL & ITAL lasers...

It does not make any mention of the filter strength on the filter or the packaging from LDI.

But this LDI Neutral Density filter works great on the DBAL-D2 turning it into a two level IR laser, low & high, there is another model available for the DBAL-I2 and OTAL & ITAL lasers...

Low seems to be equal to about 0.1mW and High is of course 0.7mW.

Here is a comparison shot from my 0.1mW LASTAC pistol laser compared to the 0.7mW IR DBAL-I2:

LASTAC2%20&%20DBAL%20I2%20175%20yards.jpg

LASTAC by itself:

LASTAC2%20175%20yards.jpg

Here is a 30 yard pic of the DBAL-D2 0.7mW IR laser and the LASTAC 0.1mW IR laser side by side with lots of bloom:

LASTAC2%20&%20DBAL%20I2%2030%20yards.jpg

I'll take some more close-ups to show the bloom abatement....

Here is the pictorial story of the LASTAC 0.1mW IR laser compared to the DBAL-D2 0.7mW IR laser close up @ 30 yards and @ 175 yards to show the major decrease in bloom associated with the use of the LDI Neutral Density Filter on a 0.7mW IR laser footprint:

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20NO%20Filter%2030%20Yards.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20Filter%2030%20yards.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20D2%20175%20Yards%20NO%20Filter.jpg

LASTAC%20&%20DBAL%20D2%20Filter%20175%20Yards.jpg

The LDI Part Number of the ND filter I am using on my DBAL-D2s is FA05349-01

Neutral Density Filter - Black

The filter itself is very black glass and you cannot see through it at all unless looking through it at the sun.

The correct filter for the civilian legal IR laser in the DBAL-I2 is FA06147-01

It is nice to be able to use it without having to remember to take the cap off...

Thanks BB, these filters are excellent for eliminating the bloom on our hog and coyote hunts, there is virtually no more bloom, and that is good for us and bad for the hogs and coyotes.

TNVC will have the LDI Neutral Density Filters for the DBAL and OTAL/ITAL IR lasers up on their site in a day or two for anyone that wants a High/Low IR laser setup....

Btw gents, just found out LDI is NOT making these in TAN any longer, only BLACK and FOLIAGE colors. Foliage is taking much longer to produce as well.

Customers who have ordered from us will be getting call backs real soon from Jaimie on the color choices which at the present time is black only. Thanks!

Vic

Got my IR filter for my dbal d2 today. Tried it out this evening, it is nice and precise. No bloom. Thanks fella's!!!! Thanks Vic for the dbal and Skypup for the filter idea.

Glad to hear you enjoy it, it is great to be able to use the DBAL-D2 IR laser on either high or low!