• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mosin Nagant 91/30 600 Yards iron sights!

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
What's up Hide members! Today I got a chance to get out with my trusty ole Mosin Nagant and do some shooting at 600 yards. I was shooting at a 1/2" steel plate that is 16" x 21", I had it hanging from chains on a saw horse. I used Brown Bear 174gr FMJ ammo. I hope you guys enjoy the video! Please tell me what you think!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzM3bVp4N0

That's some nice shooting with an iron sight Mosin. Nice job. Those mosins are a ton of cheap fun.

Grizzdude
Gotta love the sound of steel on impact, especially when it is as challenging as shooting 600 yards with an old WWII rifle, with iron sights and using factory ammo.
Did you make any mods to your MN?
This is a good way to start the day; good filming and good shooting.
Thanks.
Ombre noire

Grizzdude
Gotta love the sound of steel on impact, especially when it is as challenging as shooting 600 yards with an old WWII rifle, with iron sights and using factory ammo.
Did you make any mods to your MN?
This is a good way to start the day; good filming and good shooting.
Thanks.
Ombre noire

Thanks Ombre noire! I have made a few mods to the Mosin, first would be some trigger work I did to get the creep out and reduced to around 2lbs pull. Also I have a custom tapered front post sight that is adjustable. Also made a trigger slack spring from a close pin. The last mod would be the limbsaver recoil pad for all day fun!

Thanks Ombre noire! I have made a few mods to the Mosin, first would be some trigger work I did to get the creep out and reduced to around 2lbs pull. Also I have a custom tapered front post sight that is adjustable. Also made a trigger slack spring from a close pin. The last mod would be the limbsaver recoil pad for all day fun!

Grizzdude
Trigger at 2lbs! I would be happy if I could get it down to 3, as of now it more around 6.5lbs. I ordered a Finnish sear spring and hope it is going to help some, I should receive it within a week. I am also looking at these adjustable front sights from Smith-Sights, did you get yours from him?
I have been tinkering with shimming barrel/action using different material, felt, cardboard and brass. So far, the brass made the best improvement but I am still looking; I started a post on SH, "Accurizing the Mosin-Nagant" in the Vintage Sniper Rifle section and several Members shared their thoughts and ideas, good stuff.
I like the bipod on your MN, not historically correct but I bet the shooters from back then would have liked it too. How is the wood holding up where the screw is and what size is your Harris?
10-4 on the limbsaver, I never used one of these before but after 150 + rounds of a good day shooting, you know when you did not hold your rifle properly. Most of our "modern" rifles have enough padding, so we do not really think about it, even with calibers such as .338 LM. I learned shooting with military rifles with metal butt stocks, you screw up, you've got a bruise.
Thanks and good shooting.
Ombre noire

Grizzdude
Trigger at 2lbs! I would be happy if I could get it down to 3, as of now it more around 6.5lbs. I ordered a Finnish sear spring and hope it is going to help some, I should receive it within a week. I am also looking at these adjustable front sights from Smith-Sights, did you get yours from him?
I have been tinkering with shimming barrel/action using different material, felt, cardboard and brass. So far, the brass made the best improvement but I am still looking; I started a post on SH, "Accurizing the Mosin-Nagant" in the Vintage Sniper Rifle section and several Members shared their thoughts and ideas, good stuff.
I like the bipod on your MN, not historically correct but I bet the shooters from back then would have liked it too. How is the wood holding up where the screw is and what size is your Harris?
10-4 on the limbsaver, I never used one of these before but after 150 + rounds of a good day shooting, you know when you did not hold your rifle properly. Most of our "modern" rifles have enough padding, so we do not really think about it, even with calibers such as .338 LM. I learned shooting with military rifles with metal butt stocks, you screw up, you've got a bruise.
Thanks and good shooting.
Ombre noire

Yep around 2lbs, but let me stress that it is still safe and will not go off from a hard jolt to the ground. I did get my sight from smith sights. He also tapered the front post extra to my own spec for free. I haven't shimmed the action but I bedded the barrel using electrical tape where the two barrel rings are. After doing that accuracy went WAY UP. The wood is holding up pretty good actually, put more that 500 rounds through it with the bipod already. The Harris bipod is a 6-9" with notched legs, also has the swival option. Thanks

Yep around 2lbs, but let me stress that it is still safe and will not go off from a hard jolt to the ground. I did get my sight from smith sights. He also tapered the front post extra to my own spec for free. I haven't shimmed the action but I bedded the barrel using electrical tape where the two barrel rings are. After doing that accuracy went WAY UP. The wood is holding up pretty good actually, put more that 500 rounds through it with the bipod already. The Harris bipod is a 6-9" with notched legs, also has the swival option. Thanks

Grizzdude
Today I received the Finnish trigger sear from C&R and installed it on the 43 Tula Sniper; before doing so, I rechecked the original trigger pull (several times) and it was at around 4.7 lbs but definitely not very crisp. The "Finnish" sear gave me similar reading on the gauge, so I bent it ever so slightly and it is now at a crisp 2.7 lbs. I ran the bolt hard several times, as well as hit the stock in different manners, trying to recreate an accidental drop, to ensure there would be no accidental discharge but no issue, it feels solid and secure, even the sledge hammer did not make a difference (just kidding).
I left all of my brass shims on the Tula (action and barrel), as it seems to be working well.
I did the same "trigger job" on a 37 Izhevsk, but this time using the original trigger sear and it went from 6.5 lbs to a nice 3.12 lbs; also ran the same safety tests with no issue.
So far, I did not feel the need for a trigger slack spring, as both triggers do not wobble. What is your take on that?
After looking at your video, to get Uncle Mike's sling swivel stud part #, I will be ordering it soon, as I like the practicality to have a bipod on the rifle. Also went to Michael's and Home Depot for cork and electrical tape, as well as other stuff for possible bedding and shimming.
I will try the cork, then the electrical tape, on the 37 Izhevsk. Curious to see what difference both system bring. I will be at the range, as soon as the wind goes below 10 mph, as for now we have 20 to 30 mph winds. I usually do not mind wind, rain or snow but too much wind is not the best to observe accuracy changes. As as just started reloading for the 7.62x54r, I have few good reasons to make it soon to the range. I will start shooting with regular factory and surplus ammo, before trying the reloads, so I can see if my "bedding and shimming" job makes a difference, good or bad (good...hopefully)
Thanks for sharing your ideas and experience on the Hide, I am going to check your "Grizzdude gun's website" to see what other cool stuff you are talking about.
Have fun and good shooting.
Ombre noire

Grizzdude
Today I received the Finnish trigger sear from C&R and installed it on the 43 Tula Sniper; before doing so, I rechecked the original trigger pull (several times) and it was at around 4.7 lbs but definitely not very crisp. The "Finnish" sear gave me similar reading on the gauge, so I bent it ever so slightly and it is now at a crisp 2.7 lbs. I ran the bolt hard several times, as well as hit the stock in different manners, trying to recreate an accidental drop, to ensure there would be no accidental discharge but no issue, it feels solid and secure, even the sledge hammer did not make a difference (just kidding).
I left all of my brass shims on the Tula (action and barrel), as it seems to be working well.
I did the same "trigger job" on a 37 Izhevsk, but this time using the original trigger sear and it went from 6.5 lbs to a nice 3.12 lbs; also ran the same safety tests with no issue.
So far, I did not feel the need for a trigger slack spring, as both triggers do not wobble. What is your take on that?
After looking at your video, to get Uncle Mike's sling swivel stud part #, I will be ordering it soon, as I like the practicality to have a bipod on the rifle. Also went to Michael's and Home Depot for cork and electrical tape, as well as other stuff for possible bedding and shimming.
I will try the cork, then the electrical tape, on the 37 Izhevsk. Curious to see what difference both system bring. I will be at the range, as soon as the wind goes below 10 mph, as for now we have 20 to 30 mph winds. I usually do not mind wind, rain or snow but too much wind is not the best to observe accuracy changes. As as just started reloading for the 7.62x54r, I have few good reasons to make it soon to the range. I will start shooting with regular factory and surplus ammo, before trying the reloads, so I can see if my "bedding and shimming" job makes a difference, good or bad (good...hopefully)
Thanks for sharing your ideas and experience on the Hide, I am going to check your "Grizzdude gun's website" to see what other cool stuff you are talking about.
Have fun and good shooting.
Ombre noire

Those are going to be some nice shooting mosin's there! As far as the slack spring I only have one because the trigger has play in the beginning of the trigger pull. It's not necessary but it makes it like a 2 stage trigger. I'm interested to see how the cork bedding turns out for you! Keep me updated!

Those are going to be some nice shooting mosin's there! As far as the slack spring I only have one because the trigger has play in the beginning of the trigger pull. It's not necessary but it makes it like a 2 stage trigger. I'm interested to see how the cork bedding turns out for you! Keep me updated!

Grizzdude
I started with the electrical tape and put it on this morning, was fast and easy install, also easy to recreate after removal (for when I will "cork it"). Here we should have a break in the wind on Friday; it will be the "moment of truth" at the range.
I am also very curious to see the results; two of my other rifles are an Anschutz 64 MPR and a Sako TRG 22, they are both tack drivers in their own way. I am a sucker for accuracy and want to give the best accuracy treatment to my Mosins, but keeping them as stock as possible, meaning that all work done on them could have been done by a WWII shooter but that's just me. I do have a Timney trigger for the Mosin at the house but I could not get myself to install it, this is why I worked on the original trigger first.
I never looked, yet, on how to post pics on SH but I will eventually, as a good pic is better then 1000 words.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire