• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mosin Nagant Sniper Scope/Mount (Cheap)

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
So me and my cousin were watching Enemy at the Gates and I had an idea..

He has a mosin nagant not sure what model or whats what about it. But it was one of the Big5 Specials.. I've been trying to get him into the precision/sniper game for a while but he's too broke to get into the 700 game.

He has a mosin nagant and I figured well if I cant bring him to the long range game why cant I bring it to him.. They used this for years in war as "sniper" rifles and I figured it would be pretty dam cool if I got to shoot an old style sniper rifle too and get my cousin his own sniper rifle..

So my question is.. Whats a decent priced and function scope/mount or combo for a mosin nagant.. Thing is I know he wont spend more than $100 on it so it has to work and be cheap.. I looked up scopes and saw that it was a PU scope was the most popular.. Only thing is those look real and cost around $400 from what I've seen..

So do any of you guys know of a cheap ass 3 or 5x scope that looks like its from that era or close we can slap on his nagant??

Also if its cheap enough and the guy is too stingy to buy one Ill probably opt to buy it for him for his bday or something.. After all he is the guy who got me into shooting in the first place.

So what would you Mousin nagant guys reccomend?? I love that PU or what ever scope but $400 is a little too high for out tastes.. This is for the f of it and I cant justify spending that kinda $$ on a garage gun.

(Garage gun- What we call guns that you buy just cause its a gun and costs $80 out the door. Why why not factor if you will)

Re: Mosin Nagant Sniper Scope/Mount (Cheap)

Just go with http://tickbitesupply.com/mos.html get the longer scout mount. It will replace the rear sight. Then get a long eye relief or a shotgun scope and mount it up. Total cost will be under 100 and it will be enough with the accuracy you're going to get out of brown or silver bear ammo which is what I'm assuming you're going to be running.

Good luck,
Merritt

i have 2 Mosin Nagants 1 is the 9130 sniper with the original mount and the other is a 44 carbine with after market mount. i got that tri rail mount then when i found my scout scope on e bay it came with mount for less then 100$.AMI was brand of the scope/mount combo and utg was the tri rail. i do not think night force and badger have anything to worry about. if your going to reload slug the bore and find out what Dia it is. my 9130 was .311 and 174 smk shoots grate.....kinda. i do like the pu better

Were not trying to make a match rifle out of it or anything just throw on a scope and mount and mix it up a little. We have fired it a ton of times and honestly don't think we have ever hit anything with the irones haha weather it be us the brown bear or just the horrible quality of the rifle we got. $80 out the door what can we ask for haha

But we just want this for pure for and sh*ts and giggles. Honestly if we hit anything at 200 to 350 we will be stoked lol

I'm working on a Mosin Nagant 91/30 "rebuild" bootstrap budget pseudo tack driver that's currently in the concept/planning stages.
In my research, I've been told that with the MN's, some will shoot quarters at 100, but most aren't worth snot thereafter.
I'm intending to change that with my build.
Brownells has a scope mount that's pretty inexpensive, but requires drilling and tapping the receiver to mount it.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=78/avs|Make~~Model_1=Mosin%20Nagant__Universal%20Rifles/Product/MOISIN_NAGANT_SCOPE_MOUNTING_SYSTEM

It's the one I plan to use on mine when I build it, as I've heard mixed feelings on the scout style mount being a pain, as well as being accustomed to having the scope in close proximity to my eye as on a "standard" sporter style rifle.

The recoil of the MN tends to be rough on scopes, so be sure to get one that can handle it. It may cost a few bucks more, but the headaches of dealing with a POS scope, taking it back, dealing with people about it, and whatnot, are well worth the extra few bucks invested into the glass.
It doesn't have to be a Cadillac, it just has to work.

I'm sure that you'll be able to find a budget Nikon that will do what you need it to do. Watch the sales flyers, especially online at Midsouth, Midway, and Brownells, and you'll find what you need.
Don't forget to check on the sponsors' pages too. Some of them offer screaming deals from time to time, especially this time of the year with post holiday sales slumps in full effect.

I really hope that scope mount works well for you and your bud.
Dave

Get the ATI one that you drill and tap the receiver and also comes with a bolt handle. I also epoxy bedded the mount when I installed it since the receiver was less-than-nicely machined.

my old 91/30 was a 2MOA gun at 100 with silver bear. But as stated before slug the barrel the quality checks on these rifles were non existant as they were mass producing to be able to give their troops something to use. They also have ghost ring rear sights for these which since we qualified at 500 yard with open sights with the M16 I see no reason you couldn't hit something at 200 or 300 with these all day with decient ammo. Winchestor does make 7.62x54r for 18.00 a box.

Good luck,
Merritt

What about an S&K mount and a 2nd hand 4x old pistol scope? My 91/30 has them and shoots pretty good for 100 $, and You don't have to drill anything and still have that 'vintage' looks...

I just traded a buddy for one too.

Check out surplusrifleforums.com for a bunch of guys finding loads and things. Cast bullets may help if you have a really big bore, and many of the mosins are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingnut49b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just traded a buddy for one too.

Check out surplusrifleforums.com for a bunch of guys finding loads and things. Cast bullets may help if you have a really big bore, and many of the mosins are. </div></div>

I googled that site and nothing came up. Honestly we dont even wanna other with making loads for this thing..

What ever brown bear does were happy with.. If we dont shoot anything big deal.. As long as it shoots and we can pretend were Enemy at the Gates were happy lol

And If we really need to hit something Ill just pop out my 700.