• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Mosin Nagant Sporterizing

Mauser34

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
South Florida
I was recently given a Remington Mosin hex action from my dad. I don't know where he got it from, but the barrel was chopped of an inch in front of the rear sight and the bolt was shortened and bent. I want to build a hunting rifle out of it as long as I can get the barrel off. I have a machinist friend who can thread and chamber a barrel for me.

Build Plan:
Barrel: Shilen lightweight or sporter barrel finished at 18 or 20 inches
Stock: Boyds Pro Varmint stock
Trigger: Timney
Scope Mount: Rock Solid Industries
Scope: ?
Finish: ?

I am looking for some feedback on barrel length and contour and a type of finish for the rifle.

Got an old Jap Arisaka 7.7 that has been converted to 7mm08 and is pretty slick. 20 inch barrel iirc. Timney trigger, boyds laminate stock, vortex viper pst in some badger rings. Nice blued finish

Reactions: Mauser34
Timing and cutting extractor channel is not as easy as just spinning a barrel on/off. It will spin off with a good vise and proper receiver/action wrench. Kroil for a day or two prior will help!!! If you have to pay gunsmith + a barrel cost - hope it’s worth it $$ wise.

Could be a fun project

If you don't want to save the barrel, cut a ring around it just in front of the receiver. If you only leave 0.030-0.050" of shoulder on the barrel, that should relax the barrel threads enough to remove it without major tools.

I was able to do it with a receiver wrench made from a scrap of pine 2x4 and a pipe wrench on the barrel.

My project is currently stalled but it's going to be a machine gun barrel (UK59 I think) and a Timney trigger in a M28-76 stock and probably an AK style scope rail to mount a Zrak scope or something.

How do you like the Boyd’s stock?
Boyds stock is pretty nice. Choice was extremely limited due to being an Arisaka action. I have shot it a few times and it seems comfortable enough. I definitely haven’t given it the time it deserves though. Scope has been changed to a gen 2 viper pst since these photos
7B5FCCD5-5E1D-44F9-B207-B07D2F088532.jpeg
6806A52D-CACA-48FF-9746-7E916D2FDE72.jpeg
D995E470-739B-4B79-A694-0B7E4E56E9EC.jpeg
F0F7E034-A0B0-4DF5-890E-0F316A12423F.jpeg

I picked up a 91/59, factory "sporterized". It's surprisingly well balanced and comfortable to shoot.