• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Mossberg 930 SPX LPA sight failure

One_Feather

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2006
South Dakota
www.onefeather.org
Just a note to others.

I got a new Mossberg 930 SPX on trade the other week. It was in mint condition. I cleaned it and lubed it up and took her to the range. I shot 150 rounds. I was testing LE TAP 00 Buck and Reduced Recoil TAP, Remington #7 Home Defense, Remington Slug and bulk bird shot.

They all functioned fine. Somewhere at the end during the TAP the LPA rear sight exploded into pieces which I colleceted for display.

Mossberg said they had a few cross members made of Al and steel, they are currently sending a steel unit as replacement.

photo5-1.jpg

Re: Mossberg 930 SPX LPA sight failure

Ooops! That's definitely NOT good. At least Mossberg is stepping up.

On a side note, I have several thousand rounds of everything from full power 00 buck and slug loads to reduced recoil/birdshot through my 930SPX and my rear GRS hasn't missed a beat. That is likely because, on the advice of a person who has put tens of thousands of rounds through one of these same models, I put a small dab of blue loctite on the mounting screw to ensure that it stayed put as apparently it is somewhat of a known issue with the LPA removable sight design working lose over time with heavier-recoiling loads. I don't remove my rear sight to mount optics, etc., so it really doesn't bother me to have it more "fixed" to the rear rail than some other folks might like though.

When you get the steel replacement unit it...go for the loctite!! Fix it and forget it.

I had a 930 spx and liked the gun but the rear sight could not adjust high enough for me. I called mossberg and they sent me a rear sight off of thier pump gun and it shot great. Good company to deal with. But make sure you keep it clean because it will not cycle all the time when it is a little dirty. It also needs an extention if you are going to use it in three gun matches.

What exactly failed on the sight? Its hard to tell from the pic, but it just looks like it came apart. Did something actually break?

I'm curious as this was next on my list of additions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rukus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly failed on the sight? Its hard to tell from the pic, but it just looks like it came apart. Did something actually break?

I'm curious as this was next on my list of additions. </div></div>

I don't want to speak out of line for One_Feather, so I'll let him chime in on what happened to his sight...but from what I have seen...these failures are two-fold:

1) the cross-slot mounting bolt comes lose under recoil and allows the sight to "come apart" and fly off the receiver rail;

OR

2) the sub-standard Aluminum cross-slot bolt that shipped with some of these sights breaks at the threads which allows the sight to "come apart" and fly off the receiver rail.

The sights on these guns are made by LPA in Italy which manufacturers some incredibly high-quality products. My guess is that LPA got a bad batch of bolts which in turn got installed on some of their sights that were sent to Mossberg for their use.

My LPA rear sight (factory 930SPX) came with the OEM steel cross-slot screw which I loctited down (this has been a couple years ago now since I first got mine). After 3k+ rounds...it hasn't budged and shows no signs of working lose.