• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mossberg M44

burgessb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2010
in the woods
any experience or input on mossberg m44???
i am thinking of buying one from a local guy to hold me over til i can build 40x.

thanks in advance

Re: Mossberg M44

i have a couple of them. they are as accurate as my other vintage .22lr rigs. the biggest thing is finding spare parts for them. if its a good price snatch it up.

do they all have heavy barrels. i have not laid hands on it yet and hard to tell from the pic

both of mine do roughly the same diameter of a 513T. one of mine has an old mossberg scope that came with it plus iron sight blocks, the other has blocks for the front globe and rear mircometer sight.

the trigger is adjustable also. you can find the old manuals online to do this. IIRC CMP was selling complete rifles last year for 275.00, just for your barganing information.

these are awsome shooters, and hey why get a 40X later? its a .22, its a bolt action, as long as its one with the drilled holes for a scope mount you can scope it and be the only trainer you need, just my opinion and off topic but i dont see the need for the 22 trainer to be the exact same style as your fullsize bolt gun.

anywho, too bad CMP sold out of them a while ago, thats where I got mine for 149 bucks i think it was.

M44.jpg

M44-2.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette

The M44 is a WWII trainer but Mossberg lead lapped each barrel so they are well known to be accurate. The trigger is the real hold back. Even after adjusting it they still suck as compared to most other triggers. They break hard but were only supposed to be used to train people the fundamentals of shooting. The rifle was not really a target rifle, it just happens to be accurate more by accident than intent. 400 bucks without a mag is a bit high. You can get mags from Brownells and Midway but they get them from Havelin sales. Old man Havelin is the president of the Mossberg Collectors Club and he has the license to make all the parts for the old Mossberg rifles. I would by from him directly but that's just me. At 400 dollars you need to at least get all the sights. Only the middle contract rifles were drilled for scope use. If it is factory drilled the two holes will be off center to the left side of the receiver just above the wood line. You can get a mount from Havelin for weaver rings or look for a Mossberg #4 scope and mount and just install and your ready to go.

The Mossberg 44 is a great shooting rifle and a good value for what they sell for. I have a bunch of them and not one is a poor shooter.

going to meet the guy today. will send pics when i get home.

thanks for the advice

you guys with the scopes. did u have to have them drilled and tapped?? thanks

When did Mossberg discontinue building this rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShamrockIV278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">going to meet the guy today. will send pics when i get home.

thanks for the advice

you guys with the scopes. did u have to have them drilled and tapped?? thanks</div></div>

as Don mentioned there was a run of them that were produced with drilled and tapped holes for mounting a scope base, like he said they are on the side of the receiver and I ordered the scope base from Havelin sales. So some have them some dont

US44 were made until 1946 or 47. Mossberg made a few changes and the US144 was the next trainer they made. These are 1950's rifle I think. Either rifle would make for a nice practice rifle as they are adult size rilfes and not smaller child size guns. I believe some of the 144's have a groved reciever for standard 22 type scope rings. I'm do not think all 144 do so make sure before you buy one if you want to put a scope on one.

I made a suppressor host out of one of these a few years back.

The sear surfaces can be re-cut to really do wonders with the trigger pull. Downside is the metal seemed to be super soft and didn't take long for it to deform under weight of the system/use. Ended up fab'ng new engagement parts out of harder metal which was then cut and redone like the factory was modified.

Wonderfully accurate.

It maybe the parts are only surfaced harden. This needs to be considered before getting to agressive with moding parts on these old rifles. It could be an expensive mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made a suppressor host out of one of these a few years back.

The sear surfaces can be re-cut to really do wonders with the trigger pull. Downside is the metal seemed to be super soft and didn't take long for it to deform under weight of the system/use. Ended up fab'ng new engagement parts out of harder metal which was then cut and redone like the factory was modified.

Wonderfully accurate. </div></div>

My M44 has a sporter weight barrel and micrometer rear sight. It shoots as well as I'd want an iron-sight trainer to shoot. I consider it a training companion to my Garand, which is probably precisely what it was designed to be.

I don't intend doing any mods.

It's intended to be a family heirloom. Collector value aside, it's a very good example of what I'd like my descendants to be shooting long after I'm gone.

I'd be more inclined to paint mustaches on a Jackson Pollock (if I could figure out where they'd go) than to alter my M44.

Greg

well i pulled the trigger. what a fun and interesting rifle!! shot about ten times man it will stack them in. now all i need is a scope mount!! thanks for the advice!! pics to follow

A while back you could buy a Pentax 4.5X-14X from BestBuy(online only) Hell of a deal as these were the old scopes still produced in the Phillipines and quite good for the money. Dont know if they are still available or not.

Now you guys have my curiosity tweaked. I picked up Mossberg trainer last year and played with it a bit. I don't think that I ever tried it for accuracy, just for function. It was missing the rear aperature and I got one from, I think, Havelin's.

Hafta pull it out of the safe and have another look at it.....