• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mossy MVP .308 binding issue

doubletapacp

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Gents, wondering if any of ya’ll have encountered binding (like locked up solid) issues when cycling a Mossberg MVP.308 rifle. Cycling the bolt to eject the spent case locks this rifle up tight, depressing mag release and wrenching/rocking out the mag in order to eject spent round is the only way to free up the action. It was a common issue with the .223/5.56 model that Mossberg was willingly happy to rectify. With the .308 model not so much, they are either unwilling or can’t solve these problems. They admitted they are aware of the issues and I quote “have no immediate plans in the future to offer up any repairs or upgrades from the factory”.
New rifle, no help from the factory. Hmmmm. Happens with any and all cartridge types, bullet designs, original OEM mags as well as (NIB) GI issue M14 mags which was the precise reason I bought it. Anybody out there know of either a solution or reputable smiths than have some experience with this rifle as well as this particular problem? Appreciate your time.

Does this happen only on an empty magazine, or for every single round being fed from the magazine?

We’ve run this in every scenario we can think of. Single round stripped off mag, half full mag, full mag, loading 1 round into the chamber by hand. All yield same results with magazine locked in place. We can only surmise it’s a mag alignment issue. The .223 version I believe Mossberg added a sleeve of some sort to cure that alignment issue.

I hate to say it, but, honestly, those rifles are pieces of shit.
You would have been far better off with a savage or ruger american.
And that's not saying much.
Your best bet is to sell it and buy something a bit better.
My recommendation is Howa

We’ve run this in every scenario we can think of. Single round stripped off mag, half full mag, full mag, loading 1 round into the chamber by hand. All yield same results with magazine locked in place. We can only surmise it’s a mag alignment issue. The .223 version I believe Mossberg added a sleeve of some sort to cure that alignment issue.

So the rifle doesn’t work, and Mossberg isn’t going to fix it?

Trade it off and move on, life is too short and free time is too scarce to waste it on trying to make things that don’t work function properly; especially when there are alternative products that will do what they’re supposed to out of the box.

Sorry your rifle is a turd.

I hate to say it, but, honestly, those rifles are pieces of shit.
You would have been far better off with a savage or ruger american.
And that's not saying much.
Your best bet is to sell it and buy something a bit better.
My recommendation is Howa
Indeed that is a fairly true statement. It’s got potential in terms of compactness in a “scout” type role. Just disappointing when the factory says in essence “you’re on your own”.
It’s not my “go to” by any means, was hopeful though with all the smart folks here someone had come up with something,