• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

most accruate factory 22lr

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
i am looking to buy a new 22. i currently have a 883ss 22 mag that shoots fine i just dont need a mag. ill only be shooting 50-75 yards. i defintally want bolt action.

so far im thinking

cz 452 varmint or
savage mk11 fv

anything else i should consider. also my price range is 350ish pre optics. i figure i can get a used 452 for that

Re: most accruate factory 22lr

I was very impressed with my son's new Savage MK II-BTV. After he got his new rifle zerod in at 50 yards this past Wednesday, I took 5 shots with it from 50 yards off the bench using only the rifle's bipod and shot a 9/16" group with it.

I'll be getting myself one of those some day.

Several good choices out there. Research a few from the major companies, CZ, Savage and Marlin come to my mind, find the features you want then go out and handle a few and see which one you like best. Get it and find which ammo it likes and more likely than not it will shoot well.

In my experience, CZs tend to be a little less picky about ammo. I love my 452 Varmint. Bought mine new for $355 + tax.

Buy a Anschutz. Figure out what your willing to spend and buy the best/nicest Anschutz you can afford! Best bang for the buck out of the box!

I was very impressed with the out of the box accuracy of a CZ 452 that I bought for my son.

Most accurate are the Anschutz...the yard stick by which all others are measured. CZ, Marlin, Savage, Ruger, Kimber, New Ultralight Arms and dare I say Sako, do not even come close in their factory configuration.

Pat

Accuracy potential is going to be as much or more about what ammo you feed it. If you're not willing to drop $7-$10 a box for 22LR then you probably don't need to concern yourself with which is most accurate and focus instead on which on you like better.

I have an anschutz 54.18 repeater "there no longer made" at 25 yds all one ragged hole.
Great out of the box performance but approx $2K used

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an anschutz 54.18 repeater "there no longer made" at 25 yds all one ragged hole.

Bill </div></div>

I would hope that @ 25 yds ANY decent 22LR would make 1 ragged hole since 1 MOA is only about 0.25" at that distance and your projectile is 0.22"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Drane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that the anschutz followed by cooper. </div></div>

I would disagree with that statement, there is no more accurate 22 rifle built than a Cooper.

Ratbert
your right but the outer measurement is .33 @ 25 yds then .33 - .22 = .11 times for = .44 at 100 yds

-<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an anschutz 54.18 repeater "there no longer made" at 25 yds all one ragged hole.

Bill </div></div>

I would hope that @ 25 yds ANY decent 22LR would make 1 ragged hole since 1 MOA is only about 0.25" at that distance and your projectile is 0.22"

</div></div>

In that price range, I like the Savage MkII BTV. The thumbhole stock is comfy, comfy.

Re: most accurate factory 22lr

I have a few target 22 rifles ,and for out of the box as attested above: Anschutz. If you are looking for a used target ....look into BSA mark 11 or Mark 111. Among the guns I own the Rem.37 and 40x are also great shooters ,BSA mark 111,Anschutz 1911 and Win.52D shoot right in there also. These old guns just need some care. I have been collecting these rifles over a period of 15 years ,and they are all precision rifles. 45/70SS

I agree, if you are talking about factory production rifles. Otherwise go to a rimfire bench rest match and you will discover that both Anschutz and Cooper are scarace. For ultimate accuracy, the custom rifle's rull the roost.
wink.gif

Go look at the 22s the cmp are selling right now. they have a few that would be a bit more then what your saying. I shoot a win 52D and its the only .22 that i shoot at matches and such. I love the gun and its top of the line as far as this game goes. But a good used one starts around $1000 and then you need sights.
there are many fine rifles out there, as others have said. if you can and you are going to get into this type of shooting save you cash and go for the better rifle up front. If your just going to blow off ammo any gun shop with get you a good plinker.off the bench my 52d will drill out the x ring. and that is shooting 20 rounds. the xring is about the size of the .22 round. We just fired a 200 yard shoot and plan on doing this at our matches here in Fayetteville NC from now on. lots of fun but you need the rifle that will do it. let us know what you ended up with

My trainer is a very basic Savage MKII. It's rather old, but right now the MKII F is about the closest equivalent. I don't really think anything more competent or expensive is really needed.

I think the time/money/effort is best spent on optimizing the shooter and finding a reliable supply of affordable and compatible ammo. The real accuracy is going to be found in the ammo.

The potential accuracy level is not going to change unless something occurs that impairs the rifle; so IMHO, reliability is more critical than basic accuracy.

My only concern about that basic accuracy level is that I don't get caught in a death spiral over trying to achieve ultimates and absolutes. It's not the groups size that counts, it's the group consistency; and the knowledge about becoming one with the conditions that all that practice should be giving me.

Greg

Without a doubt, Anschutz, 40x, and the 52D

i would say a savage. buy a nice rifle, nice scope. dont break the bank like some other rifles would. and buy a large amount of ammo and go practice.

You should be able to find a nice Winchester M75
I shoot mine against my friends M52D,no really noticeable difference,at 100yds. We switched and still got the same groups.
Using NRA #A17 50ft targets we kept them all in the center 2 rings,1/2 " Mine wears a Unertl 12x 2" Programmer,his is a 10x.

edit sorry about $800 total in mine

The OP said up front his range was "$350ish", so why are we talking about Anschutz and the like. I went through the same decision about 6 mo. ago. I looked at CZ, Winny, Remmy, Savage and Marlin. I chose CZ not for the lower price but because build and function looked to be higher quality. I'm glad I did. 50 yrd 5 shot groups at .5" are pretty easy and I hav'nt even searced for the right ammo yet. May be hard to find a clean used 452 for 350 though, prices have been climbing fast for the last 18 months or so. Gave 385 plus tax for mine and that was the best I could find. Good luck.

okie

PS For a little more you can get the 453 that comes with a completely axjustable trigger and they are nice.

Well I did a lot of research before making my mind up and went for the Anschutz MPR 64 (Multi-purpose rifle)

I have a weaver T36 fixed power scope and is very accurate BUT.... very dissapointed with the rifle. I had feeding problems from day one were the bullet head wouldn't go up the feed ramp into the bore properly effectivley damaging the bullet therefore it's coefficieny was affected.
Sent it back and they said the wronG pillar washer was used??? Still isn't quite right in my opinion.
I should have purchased ny first choice which would have been the Cooper TP3!

WARNING: going off topic

nice rig, nice to see a tricked out leftie, excuse my ignorance, what are those red "thingies" under the objective and what are they used for? you can pm me with the answer or share with the world....

My personal experience with both the winchester 52 and the anschuts reaffirms the above posters. My winchester shot as good as my anschuts, pretty impressive for a rifle built in 1935!

you are correct guy's
these are magazine
I have shot in a few tactical competition and the rifle handle's like a charm.....
and its accurate with federal gold match
target number 711B
before you ask the bipod is from Atlas