• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most accurate. 50 BMG on market.

DeBoer2001

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
USA
I am getting into the. 50 bmg world. I have graduated from my. 416 barrett and want to get a Bmg. I have been looking into the tac-50 but see there are many others to pick from as well. I want to know how accurate the M99A1 barrett in. 50 is compared to others like the windrunner and mcmillan I understand the 82a1 is not a very accurate rifle. Please anyone give me factual information on accuracy and for which rifle I should persue that I am a very picky individual when using accurate arms. Thanks to all.

Re: Most accurate. 50 BMG on market.

I have read that story before it is amazing, I should appologize in that I should have clarified that I am out of the reloading market due to past time doing it and am planning on purchasing match grade shells and a BMG like a Barrett or McMillan ect. So any information on brands of such would really help me pull the trigger on a purchase soon. Thanks

AR50 for an unmodified, reasonably priced gun is damn accurate. I traded mine for an M99 32" Barrett though, just due to the difficult of moving an AR50 around all the time. It's heavy.

I can attest to the accuracy of the TAC-50. From my experience it has been excellent. I am also getting a m82 tuesday but not expecting it to preform like my TAC-50. I'll post a side by side when I get the opportunity to take them both out.

The only other suggestion I would offer is if you go the TAC-50 route definitely look at the elite iron supressor. It actually tightens up my groups while completely taming the concussion of the BMG, which is formidable.

C

For an accurate easy shooting .50 right out of the box the AR50 is excellent and is a great value for the money.

The down side is that it is huge and heavy and you'll need a pickup truck to carry it around in.
(The huge and heavy also is what makes it so nice to shoot).

The EDM version is heavy but has the advantage of being able to come apart into a much smaller case so you can carry it in a car or on a heavy duty backpack etc.

Accuracy International makes an excellent .50 rifle it's just hugely expensive.

The Mcmillan Single shot 50 cal action or the BAT action will make the most accurate custom rifle. If you want a factory rifle that is a mag fed repeater I would recommend a Mcmillan Tac-50 or Accuracy International AW-50 or AX-50. The AX-50 isn't out yet, but will be about 4 grand less than the AW-50 and well worth the wait according to Stacy at 2011 shot show. That puts it in the cost territory of the Tac-50. Of the two I prefer the Accuracy International.

I own a custom Mcmillan single shot 50cal that averages 1 MOA (.4 MOA is best group) at 1000 yards as well as a Barrett M107 that averages 2.5 MOA at 1000 yards (1.1 MOA is best)

Hey your name isn't Ashley by any chance is it? The only reason I ask is because you changed your name to ask the same question over in a different way. You didn't have to do that. Get some thicker skin, if you have questions you'd like answered this a damn good place to learn. I'd suggest starting by searching, reading all the FAQ's, and then asking questions more like what you posted this time.

Link to first post

By the way Ashley that was just a friendly way of saying hello;) There was SL in my old Unit named Ashley and he was a cool dude, but we still gave him hell for his name.

If your going for all out accuracy I think some would suggest the 375/408 Cheytac. The .50BMG is a bad ass round but other than the AMAX, Lapua, and some other's the .50 is handicapped by the non match bullet's. It was already said but you need to hand load that bad boy. By the way toss up some pics of that .416

Take look at the Steyr HS-50, for a 50BMG, it's reasonably priced and damn accurate.

mcmillian, easy call. there have been 2 for sale on here. mac 50 repeater is VERY hard to beat.

ArmaLite also has an "AR-50A1 National Match" version - see http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...1f-d045b91324c3 A true match rifle at a rather reasonable price.

IF you want to step up to semi-auto consider RND - incredible product but very expensive. See http://www.rndrifles.com/firearms/rnd-3000/

The difference in cost between the two is like $6K.

Check back later today (5/30) and my site will identify which of the 59 companies I have listed that are producing ELR rifles have a 50 BMG model.

Update..." Rifles " page revised, 35 of those 59 companies have 50 BMG models.

Enjoy the decision making.

This guy actually messaged me asking to buy my Barrett with $319 down and payments for the remaining balance over the next six months.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey your name isn't Ashley by any chance is it? The only reason I ask is because you changed your name to ask the same question over in a different way. You didn't have to do that. Get some thicker skin, if you have questions you'd like answered this a damn good place to learn. I'd suggest starting by searching, reading all the FAQ's, and then asking questions more like what you posted this time.

Link to first post

By the way Ashley that was just a friendly way of saying hello;) There was SL in my old Unit named Ashley and he was a cool dude, but we still gave him hell for his name.

If your going for all out accuracy I think some would suggest the 375/408 Cheytac. The .50BMG is a bad ass round but other than the AMAX, Lapua, and some other's the .50 is handicapped by the non match bullet's. It was already said but you need to hand load that bad boy. By the way toss up some pics of that .416 </div></div>

I love my BA50 with the stock 30" match Lothar Walther barrel. Bush guarantees 1 MOA with M33 ball. Amaxes will get you even better though. The longest I have shot it was 600 yds. With ball ammo clay pigeons were easy. It's mag fed with a left hand bolt right eject... can't get much better than that. Heavy as hell but what 50 isn't?

JTB33, That's awesome did he did try selling you anything? The way his first post was he seemed like some kinda scam/spammer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JTB33, That's awesome did he did try selling you anything? The way his first post was he seemed like some kinda scam/spammer. </div></div>

He did not. However, he did follow up with me after my above post and let me know that he "just got back from Afghanistan and like the barrett M107 over the mcmillan that we shot and I want a M99 like yours since it is more accurate."

The scout sniper
shocked.gif
then proceeded to apologize for offending me; "...I am sorry if i offended you by wanting to do a payment plan but I dont have a lot of money since me being a scout sniper this country pays me little to nothing."

Lastly, he asked me not to "mock" him, so I'll stop.

Yeah there's no such thing as Hazardous Duty pay right. If he really is broke just returning from deployment maybe he shouldn't of bought so many video games, or spent so much trying to get laid by a stripper. It's nice that he asked not to be mocked, that just makes it so much more fun. Take it easy Brother

I shot a few different 50's but I chose the TAC50 repeater-flutted but with the full length stock. It's very very accurate with the 750 A-Max rounds. I really wanted the AI Semi Auto but it was out of my price range..let me clarrify that...it was out of my wifes "allowable for me to spend"...price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tazman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot a few different 50's but I chose the TAC50 repeater-flutted but with the full length stock. It's very very accurate with the 750 A-Max rounds. <span style="text-decoration: underline">I really wanted the AI Semi Auto but it was out of my price range</span>..let me clarrify that...it was out of my wifes "allowable for me to spend"...price range. </div></div>

Unless, you are Uncle Sam and your order is on a Dept. Navy letterhead, you can't get the semi AI, even if you have the money. It was specifically designed for the US Navy SEALs application. You can certainly get the AX50, or the existing AW50. I am waiting for the AX 50 to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This guy actually messaged me asking to buy my Barrett with $319 down and payments for the remaining balance over the next six months.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey your name isn't Ashley by any chance is it? The only reason I ask is because you changed your name to ask the same question over in a different way. You didn't have to do that. Get some thicker skin, if you have questions you'd like answered this a damn good place to learn. I'd suggest starting by searching, reading all the FAQ's, and then asking questions more like what you posted this time.

Link to first post

If your going for all out accuracy I think some would suggest the 375/408 Cheytac. The .50BMG is a bad ass round but other than the AMAX, Lapua, and some other's the .50 is handicapped by the non match bullet's. It was already said but you need to hand load that bad boy. By the way toss up some pics of that .416 </div></div></div></div>
Delivery on final payment. Non refundable deposit.
smile.gif

"Unless, you are Uncle Sam and your order is on a Dept. Navy letterhead, you can't get the semi AI, even if you have the money. It was specifically designed for the US Navy SEALs application. You can certainly get the AX50, or the existing AW50. I am waiting for the AX 50 to see."

Never really looked into it to far since I heard the price was around 27K. I will have to check our the other AI50's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joker7940</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my BA50 with the stock 30" match Lothar Walther barrel. Bush guarantees<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="font-size: 20pt">-----1 MOA with M33 ball</span></span></span></span></span></span>. Amaxes will get you even better though. The longest I have shot it was 600 yds. With ball ammo clay pigeons were easy. It's mag fed with a left hand bolt right eject... can't get much better than that. Heavy as hell but what 50 isn't? </div></div>

at what range
this i have to see

this is directly from the Bushmaster web site
notice the last line

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Product Description:

A highly accurate, long distance target rifle for those who want to shoot the ultimate rifle on the range.

• MIL-STD-1913 Rail at 12 o’clock position on Vented Forend
• Steel Bipod with Folding Legs
• ErgoGrip Deluxe Tactical Pistol Grip • Hard Case
• Magpul PRS Adjustable Buttstock with LimbSaver ButtPad
• Disassembles like an AR type rifle for cleaning
• Lower Receiver is machined from T6-6061 Aluminum billet
• Upper is machined from a T6-6061 extrusion with MIL-STD-1913 Rail
• Manganese Phosphate finish on steel parts
• Hard Anodized black finish on aluminum parts (Mil-Spec)
• Bushmaster Barrel is Free Floated within Vented Forend
• High Efficiency Recoil Reducing Brake (Similar to a .243 hunting rifle)
• 1 M.o.A. Accuracy with M33 Ball Ammunition</div></div>

here the link to the web page
Bushmater BA50

if that isn't false advertising i don't know what is
but hell they have people believing it
and while were at it
there is no such thing as Santa Claus or the Easter bunny

I did a lot of research earlier this year and ultimately chose an EDM M96 Windrunner. I have not shot any other 50s so I will not be able to compare them, but I do love my Windrunner.

I've been reloading for a couple of months now and trying to get used to shooting it so I've mostly been shooting pulled API with WC860, WCC brass, and CCI primers. I know I'm making plinking ammo but I still treat case prep like match grade which definitely seems to be helping. I'm getting 1.5 moa consistently with my current load out of my M96 using APIs. I have shot a 3 shot group of match grade ammo with 750gr AMAX and that dropped my group down to .75-.8 moa.

As with all 50s, its loud. However the recoil isn't bad at all. My cousin's wife who is 100lbs soaking wet even shot it and said it didn't hurt.

As said before, I haven't shot any other 50s so I can't do a direct comparison. However my personal decision was the M96 over the Tac-50 for 3 main reasons:
1- Price (I got a reaaaally good price on my M96)
2- Customer Service (Couldn't find much on McMillan's customer service good or bad but haven't heard anything except praise about Bill Ritchie at EDM)
3- The Tac-50 might be more accurate (I don't know) but either way, whichever one I got would shoot better than I could.

Hope this helps and if you want to know more or have any questions, PM me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a lot of research earlier this year and ultimately chose an EDM M96 Windrunner. I have not shot any other 50s so I will not be able to compare them, but I do love my Windrunner.

I've been reloading for a couple of months now and trying to get used to shooting it so I've mostly been shooting pulled API with WC860, WCC brass, and CCI primers. I know I'm making plinking ammo but I still treat case prep like match grade which definitely seems to be helping. I'm getting 1.5 moa consistently with my current load out of my M96 using APIs. I have shot a 3 shot group of match grade ammo with 750gr AMAX and that dropped my group down to .75-.8 moa.

As with all 50s, its loud. However the recoil isn't bad at all. My cousin's wife who is 100lbs soaking wet even shot it and said it didn't hurt.

As said before, I haven't shot any other 50s so I can't do a direct comparison. However my personal decision was the M96 over the Tac-50 for 3 main reasons:
1- Price (I got a reaaaally good price on my M96)
2- Customer Service (Couldn't find much on McMillan's customer service good or bad but haven't heard anything except praise about Bill Ritchie at EDM)
3- The Tac-50 might be more accurate (I don't know) but either way, whichever one I got would shoot better than I could.

Hope this helps and if you want to know more or have any questions, PM me.</div></div>
I have had some great accuracy with H50BMG with pulled and resized AP. They have been surprisingly accurate.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...793#Post1162793

Were those APs? It looks like a bunch of Ball and a couple of AMAX's. If I can get pulled APIs down to 1 moa or less (I might be getting a little greedy here), I would be ecstatic. I got 1000+ of the little buggers.

690's AP pulled and sized from HiTech. Used H50BMG and just to top it off those were ALL fireform loads not for accuracy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is directly from the Bushmaster web site
notice the last line

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Product Description:

A highly accurate, long distance target rifle for those who want to shoot the ultimate rifle on the range.

Bushmater BA50

and while were at it
there is no such thing as Santa Claus or the Easter bunny </div></div>

False advertising. Not really they obviously don't have a range listed which would be key for crying false advertising. at 100 yds mine shoots a raggged hole. 200 Yds a clover leaf. Both easily under moa. As far as it "kicking" like a 243 I wouldn't know I haven't shot one; however a bolt 308, 30-06, 270, 7mm mag all with out breaks have a lot more felt recoil than the ba50. If you want to see it shoot under moa with ball at least to 600 bring the ammo and you can see.
smile.gif
It is a very accurate rifle with a great barrel and amazingly effective brake. I'm not believing any advertising just what I have shot with it.

I had a BA50 when it was owned by cobb mfg.It was the lightest recoiling Lightweight 50 that I owned or have shot to date.It's has a great muzzlebrake.Mine wasn't that accurate at long distances.It put all the rounds on paper at 1K,but nothing to write home about.

50 guys... Any advise on a bipod? I love the Harris for the swivel, but it wants to fold up when making position adjustments. All the locking bopped I have seen don't have the locking swivel like the Harris. Would really like both.(locking legs and the resistane in the swivel) if that makes any sense... Any ideas??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joker7940</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is directly from the Bushmaster web site
notice the last line

Bushmater BA50

and while were at it
there is no such thing as Santa Claus or the Easter bunny </div></div>

False advertising. Not really they obviously don't have a range listed which would be key for crying false advertising. at 100 yds mine shoots a raggged hole. 200 Yds a clover leaf. Both easily under moa. As far as it "kicking" like a 243 I wouldn't know I haven't shot one; however a bolt 308, 30-06, 270, 7mm mag all with out breaks have a lot more felt recoil than the ba50. If you want to see it shoot under moa with ball at least to 600 bring the ammo and you can see.
smile.gif
It is a very accurate rifle with a great barrel and amazingly effective brake. I'm not believing any advertising just what I have shot with it. </div></div>

I do not post much but I own one of these and mine will shoot moa or better. most of the time better. it is a rifle that is over looked a lot. for the price to have 10 round mag fed it cant be beat. i have shot a couple of these and they all shoot below moa. I am sure not all do but my exsperience has been very good. There are many great 50's just saying do not count this one out because it is a bushy.

Check into the ALS. This is an AR upper conversion made in Oregon. Darren builds extremely good uppers that are reasonably priced and win a lot of FCSA matches. Because its an AR upper it takes down almost in half so you don't need a super jumbo case and therefore a super jumbo vehicle. Plus the thing is mailed to your door no ffl needed. His builds are often shooting sub 3/4 moa groups at 1000, I've seen several 1/2 moa and better groups at 1000. My personal best is 6" 49 3x at 1000 with mine. Sorry if I'm sounding a little bias here, but I love mine. just my $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmintpr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50 guys... Any advise on a bipod? I love the Harris for the swivel, but it wants to fold up when making position adjustments. All the locking bopped I have seen don't have the locking swivel like the Harris. Would really like both.(locking legs and the resistane in the swivel) if that makes any sense... Any ideas?? </div></div>

If you are using an AR50 visit and/or contact Larry. The prices over the phone are well worth your time.

APA - Allied Precision Arms - Top Notch Products and Service!!!!

I have had the pleasure of talking with Larry at APA about their products and would like to share a few pictures of their quality products.

When I purchased my AR-50A1 the previous owner had already installed the APA bi-pod and mono-pod. After reviewing Larry’s videos on youtube I decided to contact APA and purchase the leg extension kit and the cam adjusting lever for the bipod as well. The pricing was better than I could have expected.

Shipping was extremely fast and securely packaged.

The kit was easily installed as was the cam adjuster (which works wonderfully).

Overall APA exceeded my expectations with a quality AMERICAN MADE product and an exceptional value for my dollar.

P4275112.jpg

P4275109.jpg

P4275100.jpg

P4275104.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Sorry for Hijacking...</span></span>

As stated above, trying to be accurate without reloading isn't going to work for you, sorry.

If you are looking for a prone or bench gun, I'll suggest to you the AR-50A1. If you are looking to "hunt" with you purchased "match loads" look into the Barret 99.

I can vouch for the APA bipod being the cat's meow on an AR50. Thing is built like a tank

The State Arms rifles are pretty damned impressive for accuracy, then you look at the price and its ALMOST a no brainer. They could work on their ergonomics a bit, but other than that they flat out shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4-Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The State Arms rifles are pretty damned impressive for accuracy, then you look at the price and its ALMOST a no brainer. They could work on their ergonomics a bit, but other than that they flat out shoot.</div></div>

yes.......

i have personally owned and shot extensively seven different .50's....the above statement best describes the best option

I also like the fact that the State Arms rifle use the "toggle bolt?" setup, I just can't see the use of a big ass bolt, like on the AR-50, where you can't feed from a mag.

Yeah when I bough my M96 and shot it for the first few times, I just single loaded until I got comfortable with it. I was particularly afraid of recoil and didn't want to try cycling the bolt for quick (relatively) follow up shots.

Then my nuts dropped and now I LOVE being able to feed from a magazine.

APA bipod is the best I have and I use my Windrunner bipod to hold open my shop door! Oh yeah, Mcmillan single shot benchrest action is hands down the strongest and best start of a 50 gun

Find a used Barrett 99 when you can shoot better than it trade up. Using xm33 (I am cheap $2.80) 12 x 12 plate is more than possible at 1K.

The older Klaus built 50's, should have been sold with a alum handcart.

Do The Klaus built, or newer ones, shoot better?

I use a McMillon action (the Fischer shell holder type) and for building up a custom action you can't beat them. The price is great also

I'll look into the APA bipod. Thanks for the advise. I use a Bigmac stock with a swivel stud. Will have to see if it will work. Thanks

The steyr HS50 has no receiver.Do you think is strong enough? Of course,the muzzlebreak is so impressive.

I haven't seen any mention of the DTA HTI .50 which surprises me, because if it's anything like the other DTA rifles I would think it will out shoot the rest. I know the HTI with the .375 Cheytac was making hits past 3,000 yards the other day in Utah.

I would like to see a .50 shootout for accuracy at say 2,000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't seen any mention of the DTA HTI .50 which surprises me, because if it's anything like the other DTA rifles I would think it will out shoot the rest. I know the HTI with the .375 Cheytac was making hits past 3,000 yards the other day in Utah.

I would like to see a .50 shootout for accuracy at say 2,000 yards. </div></div>

I'm not sure what's going on with the dta crowd. I was all set to buy a hti in 375, and I've been trying to see some shot groups posted up, by non dta employees. I've even started a thread on it, participated in other threads asking to see shot groups, and I've PM'd a few guys, and nothin. No doubt the hti is a shooter, but I didn't see any proof with my own eyes, I played it safe and decided on a EDM in 408 Cheytac. Fingers crossed.

I will be taking the .50 to 2000+ for you guys.

Extreme 454, it's cold around here.... like sub zero and definately sub below freezing all the time.

Cut us some slack brother.

Sorry you decided on the other setup. We are doing amazing things in both the rifle and the ammo arena.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be taking the .50 to 2000+ for you guys.

Cut us some slack brother.
We are doing amazing things in both the rifle and the ammo arena. </div></div>
Do any of those amazing rifle things include the southpaw crowd ?
Because the DTA isn't LH fiendly,I've bought other MFG's rifles who appreciated the LH crowds buisness.Don't blame the customer Russ and Cut us some slack too !