• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most Accurate factory 50bmg on the market???

Sharp Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2008
Ohio
I want to buy a 50 bmg. The purpose of the rifle is to shoot as far as possible at steel targets and ocasionally hunt big game at extreme distances. I have a lot of expirence shooting long range but no expirence shooting a 50 bmg. Is it possible to buy or build a 50 that will shoot under 1 moa? I was looking at purchasing an accuracy international AX 50 but have not found any accuracy reviews? Is there any other rifles i should be looking at or am i wasting my time thinking i need a 50 for extreme long range work and stick with my 338s?

An AI will shoot as good as most guys can pull off. With the proper rounds that is. I'm with ^^^^ on the 338.

Yes, you are wasting your time if you think you need a .50BMG for either ELR or hunting. I suggest spending the money to learn more about both before making a purchase.

.375CT will outperform .50BMG at ELR distances. That said, I would say a McMillan TAC-50 or a DTA HTI .50BMG would be good choices if you had to go the tactical .50BMG route. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to hump one on a hunt. So .338LM is probably a better fit for your needs. Several of us here take them well past a mile on a regular basis and they don't have to weigh much more than a .308 bolt gun on a hunt.

I have a 338-408 and a 338 Laupa mag both are fine weapons. What I have noticed with smaller calibers for example shooting a 6mm 105 grain bullet to 1200 yards in 6 to 12 mph winds shooting at a 10 inch by 10 inch steel target. If a person misses and make a correction sometimes the bullet will impact on both sides of the target and dance around it. I can switch to a 30 cal or 338 make the correction and impact the target. Sometimes at 1720 I have the same issues with my 338 I was hoping the 50 would be able to slice through the wind and impact the target. Maybe my thought process is wrong that's why Im asking?

If your looking for a reasonable priced 50 go check out Serbu firearms, I have the BFG-50A and that thing is pretty accurate and fun, also 10lbs lighter than the barrett. They also have a bolt action that is pretty light.

Have a good look at the Steyr HS 50 M1 if you want an accurate factory 50, they are a big bit of kit.

If you are serious about shooting way out there, 2K+, the 375 CT or better still the 375 CT imp are where it's at, much better than the 338 or 50 for that.

Having said that the WOW factor of the 50 is much better, than the CT.

I really enjoy my M107-A1, but I wouldn't try to seriously shoot it past 2k, my 375 DCM on the other hand, 2k is a just getting started.

I also have a 338-408

I also have a 50 bmg from EDM arms that is Heavily modified

Both Shoot awesome. But If i had to choose to take one out hunting I would take the 338. It is much lighter than a .50 and it will actually shoot farther than the 50 but it won't have as much energy. I was talking with someone who has the 338-408 and they claim to have taken an elk at somewhere around 1900 yards with one.

The downside with the 338 is it is a barrel burner. I have heard it starts going bad around 700 rounds.

Robar RC-50. Just started load development this fall and so far has been very impressive out to 1000. I should have pics later this month.

Wow you got a recomendation for pretty much every 50bmg made. haha One thing to look at if your serious about the 50 is how the chamber is cut and whether it shoots bore riders etc. do your research.

CJG

Wow you got a recomendation for pretty much every 50bmg made. haha One thing to look at if your serious about the 50 is how the chamber is cut and whether it shoots bore riders etc. do your research.

CJG
Agreed. And please note that this Thread in no way approximates research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.375CT will outperform .50BMG at ELR distances. That said, I would say a McMillan TAC-50 or a DTA HTI .50BMG would be good choices if you had to go the tactical .50BMG route. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to hump one on a hunt.

I agree with you Dogtown! a .375CT or even a .408CT would outperform the .50BMG and be cheaper to shoot too!! Both CT bullets have better tractability, better behaviors passing though the transonic zone and also have better flight balance enabling them to retain their precision capabilities well beyond the super-sonic range (this being said, it's not just the bullet tho... the rifling was designed to ensure the bullet's rotational rate decays proportionally to the decay of its forward velocity). If it were me, I'd get the DTA HTI in .408CT as it retains its dynamic stability better.

How far do you want to reach is the question!

Last edited:
And .375CT stays supersonic longer than .408CT, which is why it's far and away the most popular of the two these days. It also has many more bullet options for banging steel or paper beyond 2km. So much so that I think the only reason to choose a .408 over a .375 these days is for military applications with the rare armor piercing and payload bullets that have been in development.

Having a long and extensive history of shooting, load developing and competing with many different 50 BMG rifles, I can say with total confidence that I can load 50 ammo for less money than 408 cheytac and with the right ammo it is more accurate than anything I have used up to a mile. The big difference in price is the brass cost. I am still load developing for my cheytac, but my McMillan is a half MOA gun and by far out shoots the 408 out to a mile. This is the farthest I have gone so far. I hope I can get my 408 shooting better, but so far I am not a believer like I am with a good 50. Not to mention the availability if armor piercing and incendiary bullets for the 50 if the need ever arises. These bullets are around .24 cents a piece, the brass is around .50 cents. In a complete round of 50 loaded with armor piercing incendiary bullets I have about $1.25. With Amax or solids I have about $3.50. Try that with any kind of cheytac! I have 6-7 dollars in every round of 408, and there is no low cost bullet option.

I have a TAC-50 coming back from cerakote in a few weeks that I'm thinking I'm going to list. Built by randy dierks, likely the best .50 smith in the country. It's a single shot tac-50 action cut with a semi-borerider neck turn chamber reamer. 32" Krieger barrel, tac-50 brake, Manners Stock, huber 2 stage trigger, versapod heavy 50 bipod on spigot, etc. very few rounds through it. I just find it impractical for my purposes, not often having access to a range > 1000yds. If you're interested I've done some basic load development and can send group pictures. May have a pic or two of the rifle as well. It should be well under a half MOA rifle from what I've seen. PM me email address if you're interested and I can send more info. I also have approx 400pcs IMI brass already prepped I'd let go with it.

Randy built mine as well. It is an amazingly accurate 50. I win most of the matches I shoot with it. Too bad you can't keep it!

Randy is an excellent gunsmith he built my 6-284. I had 2 408 cheytacs I could not get either gun to shoot. I ended up tearing both guns apart and built 338-408s. I would like to take the fifty out to 3500 yards plus. I have 400 750 grain a maxes and 200 pieces of RWS 50 bmg brass. Just trying to do my research on the rifle before I buy our build a custom rifle.

I can keep it, I just don't know if I want to or not. I rarely shoot long enough to justify it. He built it for me a couple years ago and it has literally just sat there.

Have a good look at the Steyr HS 50 M1 if you want an accurate factory 50, they are a big bit of kit.

If you are serious about shooting way out there, 2K+, the 375 CT or better still the 375 CT imp are where it's at, much better than the 338 or 50 for that.

Having said that the WOW factor of the 50 is much better, than the CT.

I really enjoy my M107-A1, but I wouldn't try to seriously shoot it past 2k, my 375 DCM on the other hand, 2k is a just getting started.

Do you use regular ammo, like those used in heeavy machine guns, in your m107a1? Does it damage the gun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Factory rounds are very $$$ over here.

I reload for her & don't use hot loads.

I can't/won't use the Hodgdon H50BMG max loads,

But, do you know if that damage the gun ? I owe one m82a1 and usually I fire some regular ammo. And someone told me that is bad for the guns cause the rifle is for sniping purpose.

A friend of mine that's a hunting guide has a Lapua he uses for nelgai. I would think a 338 would be plenty. I don't have a Lapua but I do have a M99. I can't imagine lugging an M99 on any kind of hunt of any length.

Last edited:
But, do you know if that damage the gun ? I owe one m82a1 and usually I fire some regular ammo. And someone told me that is bad for the guns cause the rifle is for sniping purpose.

If you are concerned at all contact Barrett & ask them, if anyone knows for sure they will.

That rifle is less about precision and more about slinging lead quickly and somewhat accurately. Kind of inbetween a MaDeuce and an M14 accurate, so if you shoot crappy M33 ball, you'll get really big groups and if you shoot match ammo you'll just get big groups. It's designed to be reliable, fairly accurate and easy for one person to operate and it does all three well, but it's a common misconception that it's a precision rifle.

OP- I think you should buy my M99 thats F/S in the firearms for sale section, its Barrett's most accurate 50. :)

Is this Thread still going?... As if there even is a most accurate factory .50 that someone can simply name?!

Are we going to succeed in naming every .50 caliber factory rifle that we can think of or does anyone have any supplemental World of Warcraft questions?

Last edited:
Since it was a highly simplified and direct post without any context or elaboration the way TheBelgian and I made our recommendations, you get a gold star.

I did go with the DTA HTI in .50BMG. I always wanted the big hard hitting round and I figured it would be easier to get components for vs. the CT loads. I figure in the future I'll likely get the .375CT barrel and suppressor too. I have to agree, the .375 is a MUCH better long range round than just about anything else out there, but if you want both, well, the DTA HTI is where it's at.

Chassis seems well built, well made. Can't try the trigger without the bolt. Don't have my barrel and stuff yet, should be here soon.

If you shoot an Elk with a .50 you will kill and gut the beast with one shot. The loss from blood shot meat will be profound. Probably end up with .300 lbs of foul blood sausage. Bleck.

Really appreciate your comment about our .50cal

It may not be the prettiest girl on the block but it sure is the most effective!

Oh I dunno, I think she's quite fetching! The shooting position is excellent no doubt, I can get straight back on target to spot my shots.

Welcome to the Hide.

Attachments

• warcop.jpg
    warcop.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 149
Last edited: