• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

most accurate powder measure

I ran some 50-throw checks on 3-different powder measures when 8208 came out, thinking I could throw accurate charges. The results were so bad, I ran the tests with H-4895 & Varget also just to be able to have the knowledge.

In all three powders with all three throwers, I had at least 8 charges that were +/- .4 grains in the total 50 throws. Varget was the worst, think it was 11-charges +/- for 50.

With Tac or MR-2000, I run 50 charges with 5-throws that are +/- .3gr but it is a ball powder. MR-2000 looked to be the most consistant with almost all of them running the same, just a stray 1 here and there.

I can only throw reasonably accurate charges with ball powder. For anything else, I have to trickle charges to get accurate charge weights. Even the Lyman automatic electronic charge system only comes out at +/- .15 grains..that means I would have a .3 grain variance for precision rifle charges. .3 grains is the variance I use when working up loads for 308 or 260 Rem, so I don't like allowing that much variance in match ammo. It raises the spread of velocity over the chrono much more than the trickled charges.

If someone came out with a powder measure that was +/- .1 grains with powders like Varget or H4350, I would guess they could easily sell them for $200-300 each. I haven't heard of one that accurate yet, though.

I throw .5 below my intended charge and trickle the rest. Works fast enough for me.

Hand weighed to the nearest half kernel using a Mettler Analytical balance. Granted, this approach is not for everyone. However, I know with absolute certainty my charge weights are what they're supposed to be. One less thing for me to worry about in the reloading process.

I use a Harrels and a RCBS 5-0-5 scale. Yeah, its ole school but has worked very well for me. My loads to seem to have very little vertical dispersion. I think powder weight accuracy is very important but so is finding a load that is tolerant. I have shot 600 yard groups that had 1/4" vertical with my 6.5x47Lapua using my method. Common way to most, dump using harrels set just under the desired weight, trickle to what you want, dump in case, move along. I have a Elec scale but still find myself using this. It never has left me desiring more. Other than time. I plan on looking into promethus soon.

The inexpensive Lee Thrower is fast and at =~$25 you can get a few and have them set up for different powders/charge weights.

I don't trust powder measures, period.

Rather than chasing my tail looking for one that I can assume is accurate (enough); I work under the assumption that no matter what measure use, it's won't be perfect. I then set up my measure so that it's consistently inaccurate, and always going to drop a bit more powder than I'll be needing.

I dump the caseload into the scale pan, pinch out several tenths between index and thumb, then slowly trickle it back into the pan, stopping when the scale increments to just the desired weight. Any excess gets dropped back into the measure's hopper. The pan's content goes into the drop tube funnel and the case is recharged, then reinserted into the RL550B's baseplate.

Used in this manner, even the Dillon measure is clearly adequate for making accurate ammunition. Weighing (and adjusting) charge weights takes time, but I'd be check-weighing even the most reliable measure's output anyway, so the real difference is negligible.

I both trust and verify, like Mr. Reagan once suggested.

Greg

I wouldn't recommend using your fingers to trickle powder as the oil off your fingers can alter the burn rate of the powder.

FWIW the man who shot a .007@100 for record uses a Redding powder throw at our Club in Denton TEXAS.