• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

most affordable way to 1/2 MOA .308 Semi-

Re: most affordable way to 1/2 MOA .308 Semi-

Maybe a used Armalite AR10T they are good shooters but have 24" tubes You could have it cut and threaded at a reasonable cost. You might find the stainless steel 16" carbine also.

A freind of mine had the 16" SS and if it wasnt .5 it was damn close with FGGM. A lot of people are moving away from the AR10 platform to the Stoner SR 25 platforms so they are selling them cheap. Armalite is selling mag packages for a reasonable price. Mags are really the only difference between the platforms.

I think he wants the cheapest way to 1/2 MOA. There should only be one answer. If both Bushmaster and KAC will do 1/2 MOA and Bushmaster is cheaper, no need to mention KAC. Am I right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS LR & better trigger </div></div>

I hear that.

Missed the half MOA bushmaster thread.

To add to your suggestion that was the direction I was going. I have not read or seen much regarding the BM but for the price it seems as if a person could get a big chunk of the components for less cost than parting one together. My train of though however was to build up from the base rifle with a barrel being the first step.

If they are shooting sub MOA forget any/all of the above
smile.gif

Here's my 290yd target from our local match, bipod & no rear support (hand only)
HPIM1298.jpg

I have an LR308 that will shoot .5 MOA. It has an 18" kreiger barrel on it as the factory barrel was a tent stake. I'm not sure if that's the cheapest or not.

OK, so the focus so far seems to be with the AR platform. I was looking at the FNAR, but was wondering if that is really the most affordable. The FNAR match looks very promising, but if you can get a 1/2 MOA DPMS with only a trigger change, well there you go!

Yes I was saying the cheapest way to get a semi-auto .308 that is capable of 1/2 MOA. I say most affordable, because I don't want a cheap piece of junk, but I guess if it shoots 1/2 MOA then it can't be that bad.

Thanks for the input!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my 290yd target from our local match, bipod & no rear support (hand only)
</div></div>

What's the specs on your DPMS Pat?

DD

Buy the cheapest one you can this is the internet all gas 308s shoot half moa all day long.
laugh.gif

First you need to find out if your a half moa gasser shooter.If you are buy a upper and lower.Build the lower with a Geisel trigger.Then send the upper and bolt to someone like GA precision to have a match barrel fitted.

AR 308s are almost all about the barrels.

The bushmaster 16" factory barrel 308 empties a full 19 round mag into a quarter sized hole at 100 meters but its impossible to get replacement parts for now unless you want to replace the whole upper with an RRA.... I got the bushy used in for $700 because the seller was scared about them being left with an orphan.

Mostly stock DPMS 308, 24" barrel, (only mods Miculek brake, RockRiver 2 stage trigger)
41.5gr, R-15 / Sierra 175 HPBT / loaded to mag length

HPIM1258.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First you need to find out if your a half moa gasser shooter.</div></div>

This is something alot of people don't talk about. I like to shoot my gas gun more than a bolt, but I am much more accurate with my bolt gun. I have a buddy that can shoot my gas gun much better than I can, so I know the rifle can do it, I'm just not as good with a gas gun.

Not saying I can shoot 1/2 MOA all day, but I can on occassion, when the wind isn't blowing, the sun isn't shining, the angels are watching over me, and I'm holding my mouth just right. Somedays I am just thankful to hit the target. You get the idea. LOL.

My AR in 6.5DD is well capable of 1/2 MOA, I am also capable, but not as regularly as the rifle, as I assume any time it will not bughole, then I am the culprit. Now, this does beg the question, am I really a 1/2 MOA shooter with a 1/2 MOA gun, or am I a 1/2 MOA shooter with a 1/8 MOA rifle? LOL

Thanks for the input so far! Any thoughts on platforms other than AR?

DD

Is this for the upcoming Oregon match Dave? If it is i had the same thing planned and went with the DPMS LR-308B. The groups below were shot from a rest with GMM.

SANY0813.jpg

Yes the OR match is what is driving this thought process. I have a barreled action on the way and might just stick with bolt gun, but I believe if you can drive them, the semi's have an advantage on some stages.

What are the specs on your DPMS?

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

First you need to find out if your a half moa gasser shooter.

</div></div>
when I pick up the case with everything for the OBR I am holding 6 G, I guess I am not the typical internet shooter because in the real world I get 2 MOA.
On a rimfire forum I once put out a 10 G challenge to the "consistent " sub 1/2 moa 22lr shooters to put 50 rds, outside in any field position, in 10 min at 50yds at a time/place picked 2 weeks previous, no one wanted my money for backing up there internet claims, but 1 guy was pretty huffy that I insulted his integrity with the offer

I'd say get yourself a Remington 750, the black plastic stock, and send it off to accuracy systems for their free float handguard, trigger job, and a BOSS setup and tune it in to shoot your chosen ammunition. They're advertising 1/2moa and no more feeding problems.

I will give a +1 to DPMS LR. I have one and really like it. It will shoot under 1/2 MOA some of the time but is a consistent 1/2 to 3/4 MOA rifle. Mine is chambered in 260 which i like a little better than 308 due to ballistics and recoil but it definetly is harder to find ammo/brass for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the OR match is what is driving this thought process. I have a barreled action on the way and might just stick with bolt gun, but I believe if you can drive them, the semi's have an advantage on some stages.

What are the specs on your DPMS?

DD </div></div>

This match was shouting AR 10 to me. Steve said he was going to shorten up the time limits and I thought the semi auto would really be handy.

My set up is a bone stock DPMS LR-308 B. Its the 18" barrel model. Only thing I did was put a USO on it, better grip, tuned the trigger, and installed the JP Tension Pin. All in all a pretty cheap and easy set up.

I think I shot next to you last year, I had the 6.5 wsm. Have fun in OR. I don't think I got in
frown.gif