• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most economical way to rebarrel a Howa 1500

Someone beat me to it but Brownell's is famous for selling Howa barreled actions.

I would like to hear more about what tolerances you are seeing in PM.
Only Howa knows what tolerances are allowed for every dimension in their rifles.

All you get when measuring parts is part to part variation. They could all be consistently out of specification for all you know since you don't know what the blueprint nominal value is nor the allowable variation (aka tolerance).

• Haha
Reactions: Haney and iceng
I more took his statement to mean no one offers a pre fit. If McGowen does I guess he’s wrong but from what I’ve seen on here I don’t think I’d buy a barrel from them.

Having measured barrels, ill echo what @308pirate said. Unless i have a HUGE sample set, like 100 barrel, you wont have a correct measurement set.

REally need manuf spec to clarify, but you arw able to get VERY close.

As for arguing on the internet... no offense here.. im aussie, take more than a stern word to get me fired up.

Reactions: 308pirate
Rebarreling a Howa on a budget:

1. Take your factory Howa barreled-action to a local gunsmith and have them remove the barrel, should be less than $50 and is worth every penny compared to fighting with removing it yourself (unless you happen to own everything needed for a worst-case-shit-it's-not-moving scenario).

2. Go to Crown Ridge Barrel Works and order an X-Caliber barrel with one of their barrel nuts: ~$400.

3. Spin the new barrel on in your garage/basement. Interestingly, since a Howa 1500 has a square bottom, you don't even need to buy a barrel vise, a regular bench vise will do.

I've had 2 of them for Howa and both shot as good or better than anything I've ever had from Proof or Bartlein.

Howa + CRBW MTU (zoom in to see the barrel nut installed):
tempImage3kP0xD.png