• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Most efficient way to find ideal bullet

dleeds

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
How do the experts figure out what bullet works best in their rifles? There are so many variables that I feel like I could shoot half the barrels accurate life while searching for the bullet it likes best. Does anyone have a "system"?

I'm thinking that if I choose a desired exit velocity, a static CoAL, and vary the bullets, I may be able to get an idea what works well.

Choose the bullet you want to use and hope. Throating for its preferred jump etc can help but still not a guarantee. There's no way to know for sure

"Usually" I just go with a high BC bullet in the medium/medium high weight range for caliber and twist and go. I'm a hunter first and foremost so I find that Berger's fill my needs for animals as well as steel.

I just can't stand working through 50 handloads, measured in .3 grain increments, only to find out that the bullet sucks in that rifle. Especially when it's hot and I have to wait for cooling.

And then the real buttfuck hits me on the way home - maybe the powder was the culprit.

I just can't stand working through 50 handloads, measured in .3 grain increments, only to find out that the bullet sucks in that rifle. Especially when it's hot and I have to wait for cooling.

And then the real buttfuck hits me on the way home - maybe the powder was the culprit.

Oh shit. You just described my life everytime I get a new rifle or barrell....hahahaha

Depending on the caliber, look for what's popular on the market or in the comps you shoot in.

Now if it's a whole new caliber trying to wildcat something then you'll need to do your homework.

But most of your commons have goto bullets that should take roughly 30ish bullets to get a good load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "welcome to our world" responses are certainly apropos. Load development can be a real love/hate deal and you gotta put in the time & work, no way around it. You can lower your failure rate & speed up the process however by doing the research up front & looking up what kind of bullet success other shooters are having with your same caliber. There are well known load ranges for specifc bullets & powder types in certain comman calibers that can really help in developing a decent load fairly quickly. For example, take 6.5 creedmore or 260, most comman powder is H4350, somewhere between 41.5 to 42.5 grains as an average, underneath a 140 gr bullet, usually in the flavor of a berger hybrid, a nosler rdf, or a Hornady eld. These are probably the most comman as they represent the higher BC choices. The same info applies for and is available for other comman calibers. Kinda depends on what your goal and purpose is of course, ie, hunting verses LR, etc. Bullets like the SMK'S and Scenars are usually easy to get to shoot well but get outperformed by the higher BC projectiles. You didn't give much information so you didn't get much info back. Spending some time in the "Reloading Depot" would be a good place to start I think.

Like others have said, do some research and find what combinations have been successful for other shooters. Let me add, if I try a bullet and can get it to shoot a 5-shot group of 0.5 MOA or under, have it shoot well at distance and have an acceptable ES (20 or under) and SD (10 or under), it's good enough...I'm done. I do not spend time chasing the last bit of accuracy I can squeeze out of a rifle by testing every bullet or powder out there.

And then the real buttfuck hits me on the way home - maybe the powder was the culprit, or my shooting.

Had that sinking feeling too. Lucky I don't often find a bullet a gun wont shoot, but I have seen it. My kreiger barrel LRI built 308 wont shoot nosler 155cc under 1 moa. Out of curiosity, I tried them with Varget, 8208, and RL15.

But most of your commons have goto bullets that should take roughly 30ish bullets to get a good load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm roughly 225 rds down a 6 creed and not done, a lot shit goes on here. Because of freebore, I started with a slow powder, dtac and Lapua brass, the rebated boatial, in conjunction with a tighter neck and failure to run a magnum primer made the chamber a carbon ring factory. Then I decided to go with RL 16 and a 110 Sierra, doing fine, then my powder order of 3-8lb jugs was cut by 66%, screw that. Both loads shot 3 shot groups under an inch at 500, but not cleaning the throat every 40rds, or fighting powder availability.
Now I'm back to slower powder and the 110.
Anymore, I wont even try group a gun till the barrel speeds up, I've had Hawk Hill barrels jump 100+ fps, making any load too hot, then you have just when will a barrel speed, had a couple HH go over 115 rds to jump, then a couple at under 30, most barrels speed up around 70.

Anymore, I wont even try group a gun till the barrel speeds up, I've had Hawk Hill barrels jump 100+ fps, making any load too hot, then you have just when will a barrel speed, had a couple HH go over 115 rds to jump, then a couple at under 30, most barrels speed up around 70.
I have to imagine the hotter the cartridge the faster it breaks in. A 300RUM is going to break in much faster than a .308. Your thoughts?

I have to imagine the hotter the cartridge the faster it breaks in. A 300RUM is going to break in much faster than a .308. Your thoughts?

Huh, why did you have to do that, never remotely thought of it that way, could be.