• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Most fun round to shoot...?

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
In building a new gun.. I want a fun round to shoot. This means moderate or manageable recoil.. (it will be in a XLR Evolution Chassis). something flat shooting, accurate, and has some range to it! Something that is a long action round and has a variety of both over the counter ammo and hand loading options.. Give me your opinions.. thanks guys!

PS.. Please explain why, (in your opinion)

My vote goes to the 243. Fast, flat shooting, and very manageable recoil. Plus you should be able to get ammo about anywhere.

Your moderate and my moderate might be something else. What kind of recoil would you like the round to be similar to? Also, will you be putting a break on it or a super heavy profile barrel? Both of these can turn even the gnarliest magnum into a stiff .22-250. So what kind of weight are you wanting the gun to finish at?

One of my personal favorites for fun is .204 ruger, super flat shooting and very respectable range, but if it has to be a long action, I might recommend the 6.5x55 swede.

oops, didn't realize that I stepped on your answer Drifter, but I totally agree with you about the 6.5 Swede

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor. But it isn't a LA round, so I guess it doesn't fit your criteria. I don't shoot LA cartridges.

6.5 Creedmoor. But it isn't a LA round, so I guess it doesn't fit your criteria. I don't shoot LA cartridges.

I too was gonna say 6.5CM until I saw "long action."

"Long action" means more powder which means more recoil. I'd say 30-06, with a Fat Bastard brake. Plenty supply of ammo. Enuf case to reach out.

(Still, my most "fun to shoot" cartridge is 22rf)

...the answer hasn't changed from any of your other threads on this topic.

6.5 Creedmoor, regardless of the long action.

For me, to be honest it's being at the range not the round, weather it be the 22rim to the 45-70, but i do like the 308 though.

This. 140s at 2900fps+ with very mild recoil. And Lapua brass for this is cheap if you reload. ($70/100)

L
+1 more. But, until you said long action, I was thinking .243 Win.

The most fun I've had was subsonic .308 through a suppressor. It always puts a smile on my face. However long action, boy I don't know. The 6mm AI was a fun round and its fast and low recoil.

Lets see,

Fun
moderate or manageable recoil
over the counter ammo and handloading options

This screams 50bmg. Everytime I let someone shoot my AR50 for the first time, the shit-eating grin they have afterward is priceless. Surplus ammo is cheap, or I can handload for under a dollar a round. Recoil is "moderate" at most.

I was going to suggest the 510 WSM/50 Thumper/510 Whisper with milsurp API or Incediary tips 'til you said flat-shooting and low-recoil.

The artillery-style trajectory at long range with low velocity builds lots of anticipation for the impact that results in a 2' diameter white flash and a cloud of smoke followed by a report just as loud as the muzzle blast a couple seconds later.

50 tips are cheap and offer variety to shooting paper or steel. If that gets boring get a suppressor and shoot 900 grain subsonic cast stuff at feral pigs. Or load them up hot and let your uninitiated friends shoot it. Just use a scope with lots of eye relief :D

If none of that appeals to you I'd get half a dozen .243 AIs and go prairie dog hunting with the 55gr ballistic tips at 4200fps. The carnage is unreal.

I think the most fun has certain specifications
•price
•sheer fun
•availability of ammo
Because the most fun weapon I've ever shot had to of been a 22lr and anyone that says otherwise
Is lying or doesn't remember what it felt like the first time they shot one.
But as a grown male/female trying to find something fun to shoot I would say in my personal opinion it would be .223.
It is very widely avaliable in factory and the reloading components are becoming easier to find. It comes on many many different platforms and I personally love my .223 rem 700 sps tactical and stock remington in a b&c a2 stock is shoots sub .5 moa with no rear rest just a bipod up front. Yes of course the .338 LM and 50BMG are very fun to shoot but it's not so fun when you see $5 flying out of the muzzel with the .338 and close to a $10 bill flying out of a 50 muzzel haha!
Happy shooting

If this were only a short action

If this were a short action...I just finished a build where I took my shot out SPS Tactical in .223 and used its action as a donor to build a fast twist .22-250. Build specs below:

Rem 700 action - blueprinted
PTG spiral fluted bolt (uses .308 bolt face)
Badger bolt handle
Brux 1-8" twist MTU 26" barrel (had builder make muzzle brake which has ports only on the end)
McMillan A5 Brown, Desert Tan, Black swirl
Surgeon bottom metal/DBM
Jewel HVR trigger
All metal Cerakoted - color - FDE

I topped this rifle with a Premier Heritage 5-25x56 with Gen IIXR ret which sits in Badger USMC 6/4 rings (Cerakoted) on top of Badger 20 MOA rail. Had chamber cut to primarily run the 80 gr. Amax and 80 gr VLD. After barrel break-in I shot hand loads using 80 gr Amax in front of 35.1 gr IMR 4350, Nosler Comp brass, Fed 210 primer. Speed is close to 3,300 ft/sec and the damn rifle shoots one ragged hole. Took it to 1,000 yds last week and hit on 2nd firing (shot high with first). Rifle is 7.3mils at 1,000 yds with the Amax. No recoil at all so hits are very easy to see.

I'm having more fun with this rifle than any of my others including several Surgeons and an AI AW.

I would highly recommend doing something like above...if only it were not for that long action requirement.

Josh