• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Most realistic/unrealistic action/shooter movies?

I did! I liked the movie but have always wondered how realistic or not the long, main gun fight scene is. No personal service experience to compare it to so when I hear the ex mil guys say Zero Dark Thirty’s raid scene wasn’t realistic — which I thought looked VERY real — I just assume they’re all pretty fake.

Sorry skimmed through all the posts and missed it. I'm partial to the movie because I was in BUD/S class 196 in 1994. Tore an MCL and meniscus during a surf passage evolution just before Hell Week and that was all she wrote. Cade Courtley was my OIC at the time and several others I kept in touch with for a while but eventually left the service and lost contact with most people. Had a good buddy attached to the small boat units that kept me abreast of things and while home on leave we were hanging out only to see the tragedy of Red Wings go down. Left a hole in my heart that I will never get over.

I can only imagine with Marcus Luttrell having a small part in the movie and being on set as an advisor, that the combat scenes and falls were as realistic as could be.

Clear and Present Danger, anyone?
I wish you could get a can that quiet.

OTOH, I know deep down, someone out there ate a quarter pounder on a stalk and left the wrapper just to f with the instructors. Most sniper-y moment ever.

Have you ever shot 220gr subsonic 300 whisper through a can?
The firing pin makes most of the noise

Have you ever shot 220gr subsonic 300 whisper through a can?
The firing pin makes most of the noise
Can't say I have, although I'd love to. If you're offering, I'll buy the beers and the ammo.

But... Chavez is clearly using an M24. Never been near a suppressed 7.62 that sounds remotely close to, well, a suppressed .22LR.
Besides, 300 Whisper wasn't even invented when the book was written. IIRC, it wasn't even made public until after the film was released.

I spoke with JD Jones back in mid 1989 about building a couple of TC Contender barrels. He wanted me to do one in his not yet released 300 Whisper.
It was basically the 30-221 Fireball, although with a fast twist to stabilize 220-250gr bullets.
In my young eyes, I couldn't see a need for such a slow cartridge, so I turned down the offer to build one.
Back then, velocity was everything to me.

Looking back, I can understand why he took an already cool little cartridge (the 30-221/300 Fireball) and made it slower and deadly silent.

I missed out on a fantastic opportunity.
Instead, I ended up with a rechambered 309 JDJ barrel. It's no slouch, but isn't near as much fun to shoot as the Whisper.

BTW, there's a very popular gunsmith here on the Hide that has a fast twist 338 PPC/ Grendel that shoots so quiet, it's stupid.
I keep thinking about having him rebarrel my old Shilen DGA with that chambering.

Subs are stupid fun, even without a supressor on them.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
"Come and See" on Youtube is pretty intense.

Also, "Dear Elza". WW2 film in Hungarian with English subtitles. New twist on the biblical story of Job.

Believe it or not, the Chinese make some pretty realistic war movies. The YT clip called "1979 Sino-Vietnamese War" uploaded by Carl Zha is pretty intense. Some AK & SKS action. "China-Vietnam War, The Ambush" is a shorter, higher quality clip, of the same scene with English subtitles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo308
Mile 22 was one that’s so bad I had to stop watching.

Saving Private Ryan has the be the most realistic ever made, right?

Fast and Furious franchise at the very beginning was pretty good, but now... Flying cars, invincible main characters, those who were dead in a 3rd or 4th movie turn out to be pretty alive after several films.

In addition to the ones mentioned Heat was pretty realistic.

The worst have to be old westerns. Bad guy takes careful aim with a rifle from down the street, misses, then the good guy spins around, hip shoots his pistol, and takes him out.

I agree with Heat being very realistic. Great action sequence as well as positioning during the fire fight scenes.

that would be correct... short range shot across a raven with the sun in the Ding's eyes.... but you misunderstood my reference... I don't believe a movie has been made about Hathcock... there was one about Kyle and the shot he made was very long range and that was my reference point, in response to the notion that it seems that every sniper movie now needs a shot through a scope for the drama...
My Son met Hathcock at Quantico years ago. He'll never forget it. It amazed my Son how Carlos treated him like an old family friend! Why there was never a movie made about him, I'll never understand.

The Miami Vice Mozambique drill, so realistic people thought it was fake, i also really enjoyed the final shootout in the movie Open Range and it's been said that Costner really stressed the importance of a realistic shootout, no magical endless supply of rounds from a revolver.

Saw this video from Larry Vickers on Saving Private Ryan. He's got some interesting observations.

I don't know if anyone has seen it, but "1917" appeared to be pretty realistic. Such a good movie, too.

Part two from Vickers...

One criticism of D-day movies is that many of the beach defenses were fired in defilade, firing from the side along the length of the beach, rather than in enfilade, where the fire is coming from the front.

There are so many unrealistic movies it’s not even funny… But the one that sticks out more than anything for me being an old bastard...

lethal weapon

I absolutely love the movies but with Mel Gibson is rolling around firing off shots from his Bretta and never missing anything, and never killing any bystanders by accident, it drives me nuts

unrealistic award goes to Arnold in Commando. Realistic award goes to Saving Ryan's Privates.

Nobody mentions Lone Survivor? WTF?!!!

Having read the book and seeing the movie, the falling down/jumping off the sides of the mountain were insane. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I would have thought there would have been nothing but a bunch of broken bones on the guys that that happened to.

What about the firefights in Den of Thieves?
I like the part where he gets out and sets up on the hood of the Suburban...

Am I the first guy to bring up zombie land, both 1 and 2?
I mean those rules are pretty legit.

Reactions: Davo308

The Legend of Buster Scruggs
a bunch of short stories its at least good for maybe a laugh or two
They Call Me Trinity
the spaghetti western taken to extreams

1948 film The Treasure of the Sierra Madre we don't need no stinkin badges what more could a person need , oh it also has Humphrey Bogart
anything black belt theater kung fu is always cool to watch ...

Good:Any good John Wayne war flick, and Das Boat. Act of valor for sure. American sniper, lone survivor.

Bad: All the rest of the action movies, except the matrix. I love that one.

We Were Soldiers...

I was but a fetus at the time of the Battle Of Ia Drang, but in 2002 when the movie came out I saw the press releases touting how fanatical Mel Gibson was about attention to detail of the battle scenes. I saw the movie at the theater, and then a few years later the History Channel did a screening of the movie for a group of old soldiers who were at LZ X-Ray. Periodically they stopped the movie and asked the group to comment on what they were seeing. Lots of tears welling in their eyes and general comments ran towards the conclusion that he captured it about as well as anyone could have, everything but the smell. I haven't gone back since then and watched it with the scrutiny we're applying in this thread, but I do remember being impressed with it at the time.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Full Metal Jacket and Platoon

The ONLY two movies that they didn't for the love of God rack the gun before every shot.

Yep. I was not in viet Nam, never in combat, but I imagine this would pretty well represent the confusion.

Reactions: Ravenworks
'The 12th Man' a movie about the hunt for a Norwegian Commando in WWII. Make sure you have a blanket nearby.