Most realistic/unrealistic action/shooter movies?

cager03

Private
Belligerents
Nov 17, 2017
Harford, Maryland
Heat and Blackhawk Down were pretty well done. The combat scenes in Band of Brothers, especially Brecourt Manor, were fantastic.

The Killer Elite was also really well done, based on Ranulf Fiennes book, the Feathermen.

And for an oldie, The Siege at Firebase Gloria was a good shootemup.

Unrealistic? Everything including the above. They are just the least unrealistic. I don’t think you can truly portray combat on a screen.

sirhr

Oh and the village assault in a Tears of the Sun.
I knew Heat would make the list!

Davo308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2019
At the time this was released-this was the longest continuous action scene ever made. Later on, I watched a lot of video from bosnia and syria-and it was strikingly similar.

The premise was that mankind had lost the ability to reproduce-and the rare child born did not live long.

Also...

Reactions: gro

Davo308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2019

Also the movie come and see.

The scene that really got to me was the woman dying in a wrecked car.

The soviets killed a cow with tracer fire for the film.

nick338

Private
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2013
How has no one mentioned Lone Survivor yet, I thought the combat scenes were pretty realistic until the Hollywood ending kind of ruined it.

stilesg57

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2007
NRA Headquarters
How has no one mentioned Lone Survivor yet, I thought the combat scenes were pretty realistic until the Hollywood ending kind of ruined it.
I did! I liked the movie but have always wondered how realistic or not the long, main gun fight scene is. No personal service experience to compare it to so when I hear the ex mil guys say Zero Dark Thirty’s raid scene wasn’t realistic — which I thought looked VERY real — I just assume they’re all pretty fake.

Also no service experience, so I gotta ask: how bad is Lone Survivor? Seen it a couple times and always liked it, includes a long running gunfight/chase scene where the Taliban are after the seals. Danny Dietz went to high school across town from me so the story was known locally in the Denver suburbs.

nick338

Private
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2013
I did! I liked the movie but have always wondered how realistic or not the long, main gun fight scene is. No personal service experience to compare it to so when I hear the ex mil guys say Zero Dark Thirty’s raid scene wasn’t realistic — which I thought looked VERY real — I just assume they’re all pretty fake.
Sorry skimmed through all the posts and missed it. I'm partial to the movie because I was in BUD/S class 196 in 1994. Tore an MCL and meniscus during a surf passage evolution just before Hell Week and that was all she wrote. Cade Courtley was my OIC at the time and several others I kept in touch with for a while but eventually left the service and lost contact with most people. Had a good buddy attached to the small boat units that kept me abreast of things and while home on leave we were hanging out only to see the tragedy of Red Wings go down. Left a hole in my heart that I will never get over.

I can only imagine with Marcus Luttrell having a small part in the movie and being on set as an advisor, that the combat scenes and falls were as realistic as could be.