• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most reliable 22 LR pistol

Nemesis Lead

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2014
Alamo, CA
So what is the most RELIABLE 22 LR pistol in your experience (not a revolver)?

I ask because I have started shooting Steel Challenge in the rimfire divisions. I have a Clark Custom S & W Model 41 that is great, but I get 2-3 malfunctions per match and it is the only thing that keeps me out of the winner's circle.

Gun does not need to be that accurate. It just needs to FEED, FIRE AND EXTRACT FLAWLESSLY!

What say you?

No, they are built on the same overall platform (internally). Biggest difference is going to be in the frames as far as materials and grip angle, otherwise your overall platform has the same level of reliability as they are very much the same to my knowledge.

Man the Ruger Mark I, II and III are good. Been around for eons and eons.
The Buckmarks and Woodsmans are also very good.
None of which will break the bank

My 22/45 has also been quite reliable - far less ammo sensitive than my Advantage Arms G19 conversion.

Mark II 22/45 and if you can find one of the limited run Custom Competitions (6 7/8" slab-sided barrel), you will not be able to blame the pistol for anything. Mine has eaten over eight thousand rounds, with the only failures being bad rounds (no priming material in the area of the rim struck by the firing pin). Accuracy is spectacular. Scoped off a rest it will keep a magazinefull of Eley Match Xtra in one very small hole at 25 yards and under an inch at 100 (you read that right). It is very insensitive to ammo, putting even the cheapest crap ammo inside an inch at 25. Trigger was a little gritty and heavy out of the box, but some careful polishing on pins and the sliding/rubbing surfaces in the trigger have made a very positive difference. A Volquartsen or other aftermarket unit would probably be a worthwhile addition for a competition gun.

Colt Cadet 22. Colt only made them for a couple years back in the early to mid-90's. A modern version of the Woodsman. Stainless barrel and slide, polymer grip frame.

Eats everything I feed it.

You see them on Gunbroker from time to time.

I have a Smith 41 that runs like shit through a goose. No issues in many many thousands of rounds.

My M&P 22 runs excellent also. Pretty much a Walther in Smith clothes.

But... For Steel Challenge I shoot a 10 shot revo or a 1911 with a Tactical Solutions top end.

My dad has had a Brown buckmark for over 20 years. No issues at all. Shoots everything

I bought my Buckmark Bullseye in 1995, ran about 15k through it and the ammo is always the weak point on it when I go super cheap. Anything CCI or higher runs absolutely flawless and has taken hundreds of squirrels and rabbits. I'm currently running a Burris Fastfire II and TacSol barrel, light and accurate.

I've had great service with my Browning Buckmark. Never a malfunction, even with the light Eley Sport.

I've been very happy with my buckmark. You have to lock tight the screws though. They will shoot loose otherwise

The Hulk must have assembled mine at the factory, Almost had to send it back the first time I broke it down.

I've only been around Rugers and Brownings. All of the Rugers I've seen have been very reliable. My Buckmark was a little bit fussy at first, but after running a couple bricks through it, it is now nearly 100%. I also only shoot cheaper ammo through it, it would probably be 100% with CCI.

I've been very happy with my buckmark. You have to lock tight the screws though. They will shoot loose otherwise
I've only had this issue when I lost the little lock washer but didn't feel like waiting to hit the range while I was sourcing a replacement.

I'll add a bit more to my post above as well. Both a Mark III and Buckmark perform incredibly well. I originally wanted the Mark II when I was first shopping for mine, but Ruger was PNG back in the 90's so I avoided them like the plague and went with the hometown favorite (I'm originally from Utah). After two decades of owning my Buckmark, I'm very happy with the decision to go that route. I like the Browning more because I have a few different barrels for it, yet didn't need to do a FFL transfer every time I wanted another. I also find it much easier to disengage the thumb safety as well on the Buckmark than on the Rugers. The factory adjustable trigger is splendid when you get that option, and I have it set right down at about 2.5# where it breaks crisp albeit with a bit of travel.

Reliability wise, the Buckmark is easier to disassemble and clean than the Rugers, and disassembling isn't even necessary for most cleaning. It fires relatively clean anyhow due to the open action design, and I've gone multiple bricks between cleaning on long camping trips without FTF/FTE issues but a little lube helped with that. The only issue I've ever had with my Buckmark was I broke off the slide lock extension, just the little piece that is glued onto the sheet metal to give better purchase when engaging it, but that was a $5 part to replace and swapped in a new spring while I was at it. All other springs are original.

I've had failure to fires with it before, examined the extracted cartridge and it would have a full and firm strike on the rim so I would attribute it to the ammo itself. That's just the nature of budget rimfire anyhow.

Ruger makes the best 22lr handgun that I have ever used. The mk2 or 3 just run and run. Ruger might not know how to make firearms in larger calibers but they have the mk2 and mk3 down to a science.

My Walther p22 with the longer barrel has NEVER jammed. I have well over 3000 rounds through it and love all of the features.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I shot a 41 competitively in college. It was absolutely reliable. I would recommend trying a few different types of ammo to see if you can find something that works 100% with it. I have a Buckmark, 22/45, and M&P 22. The 41 could outshoot them any day.

If you budget allowed I would look at a Hammerli 208 or a Hammerli Trailside. Other guns to consider would be High Standard or a S&W 2206.

Ruger MKII or MKIII

Thousands of rounds, suppressed and un-suppressed. Had troubles with Buckmark.

really like my browning buckmark. As long as the back screw on the top rail stays tight! Have had 3 buckmarks and every one that screw comes loose! ( I don't want to put locktite on it because with my luck when I went to clean it it would be stuck!!) keep that tight and they are great!!!

I ask because I have started shooting Steel Challenge in the rimfire divisions. I have a Clark Custom S & W Model 41 that is great, but I get 2-3 malfunctions per match and it is the only thing that keeps me out of the winner's circle.

Gun does not need to be that accurate. It just needs to FEED, FIRE AND EXTRACT FLAWLESSLY!

What say you?

if you want to, look up ruger speed challenge on the net.
out of the box we see fewer problems with rugers,
also easy to have a trigger job done.
as for the buckmarks. I must say only seen 2 give trouble, at the match others had no problems
but if you are on the line, under time, a malfunction, will put you near or at the bottom, of the standings
if you are ever near Hickory NC, come an shoot with us,
but must warn, you there are some very fast shooters, (not me I fall near the bottom)
as has been said, rugers can be a PITA to tear down an put back together,
but after doing it a few times you get the hang of it,
also some of the newer SW run pretty good too

Last edited:
if you want to, look up ruger speed challenge on the net.
out of the box we see fewer problems with rugers,
also easy to have a trigger job done.
as for the buckmarks. I must say only seen 2 give trouble, at the match others had no problems
but if you are on the line, under time, a malfunction, will put you near or at the bottom, of the standings
if you are ever near Hickory NC, come an shoot with us,
but must warn, you there are some very fast shooters, (not me I fall near the bottom)
as has been said, rugers can be a PITA to tear down an put back together,
but after doing it a few times you get the hang of it,
also some of the newer SW run pretty good too

Thank you for the invite! I actually shoot around the country a bit and you never know--I might take you up on your offer!

From my experience I would say for me it would be the Ruger 22/45. Accurate and reliable.

I will second this. I have one I rescued from a pawn shop it was rusted as hell from sitting on a farmers 4-wheeler for a few winters. I put a volquartsen straight edge ejector on it thats all and about 8,000 rds later it is still running great and is more accurate than any other handgun I have owned.

For some reason, my Ruger mk II's do malfunction... as has every pistol I have owned. The main problem is with Eley Match, it is not the pip, but the diameter of the nose that causes it to jam in the feed ramp. With CCI Match Pistol, both Rugers are performers.

I also have a mag or 2 that has some issues. With Rugers, that is the source of most headaches, from what I have read and from my experience.

I have two Ruger Mark II's, both have had malfunctions, suppressed and unsuppressed, and often. I just purchased a Browning Buckmark. Only about a brick thru it and zero malfunctions so far.

Eddie

Just to add to the anecdotal evidence:

I have a Ruger 22/45 lite (MK III) that I completely de-lawyered and run suppressed 95+% of the time. I've got about 1200 rounds through it of various ammo (mostly CCI Standard Velocity) and it has yet to fail. In an earlier life I had a regular Mk I, and my recollection is that it was very reliable, but it was too long ago for specifics.

The "enhancements" on the MkIII are all lawyer crap, but fortunately they are easy remove/disable and essentially convert the pistol to a MkII (Here).

I would try different ammo first. Even my Volquarsten Scorpion while it shoots just about everything with good accuracy I have found some ammo does not extract well. If you are looking for a good 22lr pistol I recommend a Highstandard. It's what I learned to shoot on and love them. I bought an older one last year for $350 that looked like it had hardly been used. Do some research on them before you buy. They changed manufacturing locations in the 70s and quality suffered for a bit.

I had a MKII gov't that was so reliable I could actually load up to 5rds of 22 shorts and it would feed and cycle perfectly. any more than 5 and the mag spring would shoot them out the top of the mag.

This is like asking Ford or Chevy... Which is more comfortable to you? I own both a Ruger 22/45 and a Browning Buckmark. I cant say anything bad about either one, both are the same when it comes to accuracy and reliablity. What it comes down to is which one you feel better firing. My wife has the MKIII, I prefer my 22/45 (bought the MKIII to see which one I wanted to keep, she happened to like it more than the 22/45 that I love).

So this is one of those you need to decide whats best for you, because the handguns themselves will probably be able to shoot better than you can.

My S&W 41 doesn't misfire, but I'd look at a Buckmark or a Ruger Mark II if I decided changing to a more reliable handgun was the answer. With the 41, I might try some different ammo before ditching it.

I love my my mark ii with volquertson trigger and sear with tactical solutions barrel!!

CZ Kadet for me. Only issues be had over thousands of rounds is am occasional bad primer.

Definitely NOT the Sig/Saur Mosquito!! 10 round mag, the first 2 always short stroke(Thunderbolts feed flawlessly)the next 8 are good to go.

Out of the box my mosquito was a nightmare as well.. After some filling and a lot of polishing to slide and hammer components it will eat anything except Winchester super-x.. So perhaps it's also a question of how much work you are willing to put into the pistol as well..

If your a 1911 guy I would also suggest a Kimber Rimfire Target
I would also suggest you get the complete gun not just the kit
Ive had one for the last 5 or 6 years and its been a great gun
use it for rimfire 2-gun where reliability is a must
works with most standard and HV ammo copper and LRN
there was a breaking time but thats long past for me
it just works and works well

What say you?

Id also suggest the Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 or MkIII ...... replace the barrels with Tacsol lightweights and but red dots and target sights as well as trigger upgrades ..... a lot of guys use them at my local 2-gun and steel matches

I have a MKII 22/45 that is stone cold reliable and accurate, but just upgraded to a Nelson 1911 .22lr upper on a Taurus frame for a tad more accuracy but has to be broken down every few hundred rounds for cleaning depending on what rounds are fired out of it.