• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most reliable 22 LR pistol

MK II or MK III or 22/45 are all going to be very similar. I recommend you get a Volquartsen extractor if reliability is your goal.

MK II and MK III have both been a mainstay of my stable for years and I love them. If I could find a decent stainless MK II government I would jump all over it. The availability of aftermarket upgrades really sweetens the deal although my stock bull barrel still shoots like a laser and is reliable as a Swiss watch. The only caveat I have found with Ruger autos is the take down and re-assembly. Maybe it is just me but no matter how many times I have gone through the process I still want to bang my head against the wall from time to time.

It really depends on the level of competition you're wanting to participate in. For plinking and competition where a caliper won't be used for measuring the results, I recommend a Ruger MKII or MKIII. Unlike the Browning Buckmark, which I also like, no screws are needed for disassembly, and no replacement washers and buffers are ever needed. If you're serious about competing, then you may want to get one with a premium barrel (Clark, Volquartsen), which may adversely affect reliability with any ammo (or require that you stick to a specific type of ammo), or a more advanced, and expensive, design, usually meant to be used with a very specific type, weight, and/or velocity ammo. I own or have owned many makes, but the Rugers are the ones that are shot the most, informally, because they're the most reliable.

It really depends on the level of competition you're wanting to participate in. For plinking and competition where a caliper won't be used for measuring the results, I recommend a Ruger MKII or MKIII. Unlike the Browning Buckmark, which I also like, no screws are needed for disassembly, and no replacement washers and buffers are ever needed. If you're serious about competing, then you may want to get one with a premium barrel (Clark, Volquartsen), which may adversely affect reliability with any ammo (or require that you stick to a specific type of ammo), or a more advanced, and expensive, design, usually meant to be used with a very specific type, weight, and/or velocity ammo. I own or have owned many makes, but the Rugers are the ones that are shot the most, informally, because they're the most reliable.

I have to disagree on reliability. I believe they are equally as reliable. I have more than one buckmark, and a ruger. Both have been as equally reliable, and as equally accurate. The Browning has a better trigger, and a better grip angle.

+1 on the CZ Kadet.I have a Kadet upper on my P-01 frame and it runs flawlessly. You can't beat a good trigger job on a CZ.

+3 on the CZ Kadet. I have limited experience with Ruger 22/45 LITE and Beretta 87 Cheetah and no experience with anything else.

I'm using adapter on top of my 75B SA that was worked over by Stuart Wong. The only issue I had was the angle of the ejector when I first got it and once I filed it down it's been 100% with all types of ammo, excluding primer issues from bulk pack stuff. I'd estimate that I've shot between 5k-10k rounds through it.

20121201_183039.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

50 rounds each at 15 yards freehand. Federal bulk on the left and CCI Standard Velocity on the right. I'm sure I could've gotten it all within the 10 ring at this distance.

20121201_130547.jpg

Ok I am going to cheat-Having owned Woodsmans, and Ruger Mk II's..I still defer to m vintage S&W k22's. The eat what ever I feed them and out shoot the autos.

Dude your converse are skanky

Everyday gun would be the Buckmark. Favorite would be the High Standard Hamden Victor. Conceal gun would be the Bersa..........yes that's right, the Bersa. Totally reliable for the past several years. YMMV.

RD,

OP asked about PISTOLS. Not revolvers.

In general the K22 is easier to shoot accurately than a Woodsman. It is not as accurate. I have owned and shot many of both over the last 45 years. It might require a Ransom rest for you to prove it to yourself, but the Woodsman will outshoot the K frame guns. And carry far easier.

Alright, if we're gonna post proof of what they can do,
and since the hide is moving, might as well add a final "look what I can do".

my 1995 Buckmark Varmint with same year Redfield 2.5x7 EER

Buckmark_Varmint.JPG

Proof of accuracy using bulk Fed 36 gr cphp

15 yards

Varmint-15yds.jpeg

25 yards

Varmint-25yds.jpeg

50 yards

Varmint-50yds.jpeg

There's a reason it's called a Varmint, accurate at 100 yards
great for long range rodent control, with SK pistol match off a rest.

buckmark-bench.JPG

buckmark-ball2.JPG

Fun to annoy the AR guys when my Buckmark's targets
show smaller groups than their gadget covered 223/5.56 rifles.

Last edited:
Not sure who's AR you are going to outshoot with that rig. I have sold Woodsmans for bad shooting that were far better than that, with issue sights.

Never had a problem with either of the S&W 41s that I own. I would pick that hands down over either of my Rugers (MkII or MkIII)

The S&W 41s look like some of the best 22 pistols ever made.Some day I'll get one.

I sometimes shoot 22 bullseye matches at our local University indoor range. This is especially fun in the winter. My old tried and true Ruger MkII Bull BBL which had never failed for 20yrs suddenly began to fail to eject, fail to cycle, blah, blah. What is this? First, I thought it was due to my using std vel match ammo. So, I switched to full power CCI Maxi-Mags. But then they failed also. This went on for weeks. Then one day, I was at the local public outdoor range and it ran 100% reliable. We were holding it in a classic Weaver two handed hold or a 2-handed isosceles stance. I shot it, my Daughter, and her BF all shot it. Ran perfect. I had made no changes to the gun. Then it hit me. The problem was not the pistol. It was ME. When I shot it with the one handed hold that is required by Bullseye shooting, I was limp wristing the pistol by being too relaxed in my grip. I am an old IPSC shooter. The Bullseye grip is not natural to me. By stiffening my arm/wrist/grip it began to run fine. Be aware of this if you find that you need to shoot that way.

Irish

Hammerli 208, Walther GSP.

Only "cheap" pistol capable to compete with these is a HiStandard Supermatic Citation of golden vintage. Super easy to fit extra barrels. I had one with a 10" barrel from a Anschutz matchrifle, muzzle end. It shot sub moa@100yds with Eley Tenex.

A little different, but I really like my Beretta mod. 71 its almost my age and it's army surplus but shoots everything from cheap american eagle to the best of eley without any jams or malfunctions, it also really like Remington subs no malfunctions at all, but after shooting the lubed match rounds i have to clean it

What type of malfunction
What ammo
What lube
Dirt / Do you drop the mags on the ground

I have a Ruger SR22. It isn't pretty, and the trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but I have three of them with probably 3K rounds through each and I don't recall a single failure to feed or fire.

I think you might need a model 41 that has not had an idjet's dick skinners in it.

I've yet to take it to a match, but a new S&W Victory has been running like a champ.

My 41 is great. But if you want all-up reliable, accurate and cool... just get a Colt Woodsman. Be done with it. My Woodsman is first rate and gorgeous.

BTW, I have a ton of High-Standards, and they are like electric typewriters with the key held down. Also dead nuts accurate and reliable.

Oh and Ruger Mk 1 and 2's. Those are fantastic.

And Browning Buckmarks.

And Walther TP22's. My tractor gun. For shooting rats and moles as they run from the mower. Very accurate and reliable.

Come to think of it.... unless your .22 says "Raven" on the side and was made by Hop Sing's who use their toes as machine vices... it's probably ok.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Oh and Smith K-22 revolvers never jam. Love mine. And Colt Frontier 6's. And Ruger Single 6's. Those are first rate. And Ruger Bearcats. Those never fail to go bang. Well, I could go on...

Buy a ruger mk ii, iii or iv. You can't go wrong with those. I have known 2 people that had the 22/45 and they both had reliability issues.

My model 41 is perfect with certain types of ammo, but has occasional feed issues with other types. Find what it really likes and go with that.

Believe it or not, for steel challenge mine eats CCI Tactical AR .22 like a champ.

I'll also give a tip towards the sr22 Mine is the short (original barrel length) I purchased mine when they first came out, they have since released a longer barrel version, I would assume the longer sight radius would allow you to be a little more accurate. I like everything about the gun all the way to the ease of loading the magazines.
But I will say my most favorite .22 pistol is my sig sauer "1911" .22 I have fired a few thousand rounds with it of varying ammo and I cant recall having any issues with it. I have always been very comfortable with 1911 style pistols so I may be biased...