• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most reliable pump shotgun

Need some specs on that beauty...
It’s an oddball:

Beretta 686

Receiver engraved by an old Italian guy in Italy (who died from COVID, RIP), commissioned by Cole Gun

Came with a gorgeous sporting stock, which I had a club member make a replacement trap stock for me. (The stock you see was made by Mark Gay, the current National Champion in 12Ga Skeet.)

Bought two Beretta X-Trap barrels during one of their 50% off sales, and sent them to Briley to have them fitted. Had one made into a carrier barrel, and got a full set of tubes for it (20,28,410).

So, basically, I bought the gun from Cole Gun in Florida and then kept the receiver. Heh.

Reactions: FuhQ
590a1, 835, and 870 are the most reliable pumps. Only problems I ever seen with any of these is cartridge stops that were bent, bent action bars, or hulls that were a hair too long. All easy fixes. Even hulls being too long can be ok with a beveled ejection port. Check these areas and you will have zero issues.

The versa max tactical and competition are super reliable and any parts that wear out can be replaced with benelli parts if needed. It takes a lot to wear one out but can be done. The versa max and benelli m4 I can cycle 1 oz loads up to even 2.5 oz loads. The only things the benelli is terrible at is wing shooting and the trigger is the worst ever made. Versa max shotguns are currently difficult to find but worth every penny. The models with the R stamped charging handles are prone to working loose. The tactical and competition are similar to a benelli m4 and will not have that issue.

I’ve had a Remington 870 since I was 12. It’s been reliable for the last 30 years.

The simple answer is the Remington 870.

Been around longer than the others for a reason. It had dual action bars before the Mossberg. You can find replacement barrels a lot easier than for the Model 37, which needs barrels to be timed to the receiver. I used the Model 37 for over 30 years and never had an issue with one. I've also had a Remington 870 for the same time or longer and never had an issue. You will find more support and options for the Remington 870 than any other pump action shotgun out there period!

Reactions: Malcolm31
I carried an Ithaca M37 daily for many years, then carried an 870 after that. They all have their issues, but if you can find a nice 870 Police Mag you will not be sorry. Just make sure the action bars aren't bent and the ejector tab isn't cracked. These are the two most common issues with the police shotguns because they're constantly ejecting loaded shells to download (lazy mans method) and the extra weight taxes these parts. I still own both M37 and 870P, but the Remington gets shot the most.

Reactions: Malcolm31
Pump? I reckon the 590A1 beats the 870 for extraction, loading, and the tang-mounted safety.

Semi? Benelli M4.

If you own both, you immediately grow more chest hair.
Yeh will be getting a versamax for my semi 12 and between the in order sxp ulitmag

590a1, 835, and 870 are the most reliable pumps. Only problems I ever seen with any of these is cartridge stops that were bent, bent action bars, or hulls that were a hair too long. All easy fixes. Even hulls being too long can be ok with a beveled ejection port. Check these areas and you will have zero issues.

The versa max tactical and competition are super reliable and any parts that wear out can be replaced with benelli parts if needed. It takes a lot to wear one out but can be done. The versa max and benelli m4 I can cycle 1 oz loads up to even 2.5 oz loads. The only things the benelli is terrible at is wing shooting and the trigger is the worst ever made. Versa max shotguns are currently difficult to find but worth every penny. The models with the R stamped charging handles are prone to working loose. The tactical and competition are similar to a benelli m4 and will not have that issue.
Yep getting the versa for my semi 12 but no idea for my gas 20 thinking a300 ultima or sx4

I carried an Ithaca M37 daily for many years, then carried an 870 after that. They all have their issues, but if you can find a nice 870 Police Mag you will not be sorry. Just make sure the action bars aren't bent and the ejector tab isn't cracked. These are the two most common issues with the police shotguns because they're constantly ejecting loaded shells to download (lazy mans method) and the extra weight taxes these parts. I still own both M37 and 870P, but the Remington gets shot the most.
Had nothing but problems with that gun wich is why i am afraid of getting a bps despite really liking it