• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most reliable rifle chambered in 5.56 (.223)

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Is it the the Steyr AUG, Sig, and AK platform, AR Piston or Direct gas impingment system, or somthing else?

What say you?

Paul

Re: Most reliable rifle chambered in 5.56 (.223)

AR Piston.

(I think viewing this thread will soon require Nomex underwear)

Id say the AK platform has a proven history of reliability, but im really impressed with my piston AR. IMO regular gas ARs are fair weather rifles. In my short 4 year experience in the army ive had numerous malfunctions due to its finicky nature.

Honestly of the Rob arms XCR,AR-15DI,Sig556,MSAR.I'd give the Sig the "most reliable" designation so far.

Steve

I vote for "other" being any bolt action or single shot rifle chambered in 223/5.56. Fewer moving parts to break, jam, be inadequately lubricated, etc. No gas system to need tweaking, adjustment, etc. The list goes on and on!
wink.gif

All joking aside...each of the platforms you listed has its pitfalls in terms of reliability. From personal experience in the last few years running the crap out of different short-stroke AR Piston operated rifles, my vote goes to them...especially the POF rifles.

IMI Galil AR in 5.56mm was the most dead solid reliable auto I've ever fired. Fair accuracy, heavy/chunky.
Only time it didn't go bang, it was the ammo's fault(primer)!
Hot/cold, wet/dry, dirty/clean, 100% feed, fire, and eject!

I voted DI AR. Its all I've used for years and its never let me down.

Valmet M76, AK platform

Korean Daewoo K2. Have AK half AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I voted DI AR. Its all I've used for years and its never let me down. </div></div>me too!

I've heard that the 5.56 AK rifles have magazine/feeding problems due to the 5.56 round.

DI is all I have experience with.

Paul

I voted for the AK platform. However, I think the Valmet is the most reliable, along with the Galil. However, I think the Sig is not very far behind.

The piston AR on the other hand is quite a bit behind, although better than the DI. There are just so many small parts on the AR. The issue of carrier tilt comes to mind as well. True rugged reliability definitely goes to the AK platform, by far.