• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Most wear resistant bolt coating?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I have a Remington 700 bolt I'd like to get coated in something a bit better than a typical spray-on polymer finish. Any suggestions?

I was thinking about nitriding it, but I don't know if the high temperature will be a problem with the brazed bolt handle. I also know MMI-Trutec has a minimum $200 fee.

Any other high durability finishes that come in black or dark gray? I've heard rumors about TiCN coatings, but who offers this service.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Most wear resistant bolt coating?

Nitriding would be the best but you might have to have the handle tig welded first then you wont have to worry about the silver solder and the heat.

Good idea. Thanks.

Although I do have a Stiller action, and the bolt and handle have been nitrided. The bolt handle is still brazed, but I'm not sure if Jerry brazes the handles after the coating or before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nitriding would be the best but you might have to have the handle tig welded first then you wont have to worry about the silver solder and the heat.

</div></div>
    +1 can't imagine anything better than nitriding. Cerakote with heat cure would be the best painted finish.

NIC makes a product called Micro Slick, which is available as a heat-cure dry-film lubricant. I have a small qty on hand but haven't tried it yet - Terry Cross indicates he uses it on bolt bodies and firing pins.

I use NP3 from Robar. It has a flat silver/bronze appearance that will shine up in the wear areas with repeated use. It is a very tough coating that does not come off and is affordable. It still looks good on bolts that have 1000's of cycles on them.

Robar Premium Finishing

I think <span style="text-decoration: line-through">300sniper</span> Todd with Phantom Finishing does microslick, I felt one of the bolts he did and it sure was nice. It made the bolt very very smooth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slowandsteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think 300sniper does microslick, I felt one of the bolts he did and it sure was nice. It made the bolt very very smooth. </div></div>

that would be todd with phantom finishing that does the microslick.

The PVD coatings will be the most durable, then electroplating like hard chrome, followed by the spray on polymer coatings.