• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mount for SAKO TRG-42 .338 LM

CCCP2k

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Canada
What kind of mounts are you running on your TRG-42s?

I have 300 WinMag with Near MFG rail and Nightforce .8" Ultra light rings for NF NSX 3.5-15x50. The problem with the set-up is that the rail is around 10 mm high and I have to use 10 mm spacer for the cheek piece. I want the cheek piece to be even higher (12-13mm). But 10mm is the maximum (otherwise the bolt will not open). Also in current set-up I have to remove cheek piece every time when I want to remove the bolt. It's a hassle.

I see 3 possible options:
1. Find lower mounting solution.
2. Cut cheek piece so it allows bolt movement and removal
3. Make custom cheek piece.

My new TRG-42 is .338 LM and I suspect will have the same problem. I am planning to put S&B 5-25x56 PMII scope on it. It has bigger lens (56 mm) and tube (34mm). Looks like it will be even harder to mount it lower.

Any suggestions?

Re: Mount for SAKO TRG-42 .338 LM

Im currently running a the 13 mil 34mm Spuhr Mount on mine, but have in the past used Richard Near's rail along with seekins rings. Both are exe lent but i like the Spuhr because go how it attaches directly to the dovetail in the receiver.

As for having to raise the cheek piece to get eye relief and then having to remove tit to get the bolt out accordingly, I made a cheek piece out one the green foam sleeping pads and cut a notch in it to clear the bolt then 100mph taped it to my cheek piece. I aint pretty but it works really well.

The owner of LRA has a TRG42 that he's made his own accessories for because he wasn't keen on the fit/finish/tolerance consistency of the other stuff. I think he made a couple copies, you might try getting ahold of him on it.

There is another option, and that is to get the KRG folding stock for your trg. It has a nice adjustable cheekpiece and should allow you to run whatever you want. Unfortunately it's a bit spendy, but an option nonetheless.

I currently run a 5-25 schmidt and bender with a near alphamount on my TRG-42 and it needs a considerable amount of height to achieve a good cheekweld.

I run a 20-mil rail and my scope height is 1.9. It's a Razor, which is 35mm. My stock spacer is 10mm and I center-up fine. I got myself a T-handle allen wrench that stays in my drag bag for when I may need to remove the bolt. (T-handle is for the cheek piece)

Minor inconvenience for such a fine rifle, IMO.

I suppose you could dremel out the front of the cheek piece to allow for the bolt to clear, however. I'm just not willing at this time.

I'm running a S&B 5-25x56 on my TRG-42 using the Near Rail/Base and a 20-moa Near Alpha Mount. All I need is a 10mm spacer, and I know what you're saying about removing the cheek piece to remove the bolt and for cleaning. So I ordered one of those 10mm spacers wth the thumb wheel for quick removal from Terje in Norway. It works quite well, and very happy with the set-up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaycoux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is another option, and that is to get the KRG folding stock for your trg. It has a nice adjustable cheekpiece and should allow you to run whatever you want. Unfortunately it's a bit spendy, but an option nonetheless.
</div></div>

Thank you very much. I was looking for something like this for long time. I was thinking about original SAKO rear but the price is crazy (around $4K in Canada). KRG price is what I call reasonable

In my opinion a folding stock is the must for long rifle like TRG-42 or AI AW. Makes whole world of difference when you operate the rifle in the field

I forgot to mention one more option:

Cut and carve custom cheek piece from piece from quality wood.

I made spacer myself for my old TRG. It took some time (I am not a handy man) but it ended up pretty nice. This way you can tweek its height, thickness and shape to your liking and make bolt removal possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bth87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im currently running a the 13 mil 34mm Spuhr Mount on mine, but have in the past used Richard Near's rail along with seekins rings. Both are exe lent but i like the Spuhr because go how it attaches directly to the dovetail in the receiver.

As for having to raise the cheek piece to get eye relief and then having to remove tit to get the bolt out accordingly, I made a cheek piece out one the green foam sleeping pads and cut a notch in it to clear the bolt then 100mph taped it to my cheek piece. I aint pretty but it works really well. </div></div>

+1 for performance and cost efficiency

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I suppose you could dremel out the front of the cheek piece to allow for the bolt to clear, however. I'm just not willing at this time. </div></div>

Same with me.

Does anybody have any experience with original SAKO mounts? What were the primary reasons of running after-market? Cost, quality or features?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a S&B 5-25x56 on my TRG-42 using the Near Rail/Base and a 20-moa Near Alpha Mount. All I need is a 10mm spacer, and I know what you're saying about removing the cheek piece to remove the bolt and for cleaning. So I ordered one of those 10mm spacers wth the thumb wheel for quick removal from Terje in Norway. It works quite well, and very happy with the set-up. </div></div>

This is a very nice workaround. The only thing I do not like about it is that you have to remember exactly how your cheek piece was installed so you consistently reattach it. I guess one can make some marks on the stock or cheek piece to indicate desired left-right shift.

Just for the record.
I ended up with SPUHR. I am very happy with it. Sometimes I miss picatinny interface but putting my S&B monsters on other rifles I have is silly but tempting anyway :)

What kind of mounts are you running on your TRG-42s?

I have 300 WinMag with Near MFG rail and Nightforce .8" Ultra light rings for NF NSX 3.5-15x50. The problem with the set-up is that the rail is around 10 mm high and I have to use 10 mm spacer for the cheek piece. I want the cheek piece to be even higher (12-13mm). But 10mm is the maximum (otherwise the bolt will not open). Also in current set-up I have to remove cheek piece every time when I want to remove the bolt. It's a hassle.

I see 3 possible options:
1. Find lower mounting solution.
2. Cut cheek piece so it allows bolt movement and removal
3. Make custom cheek piece.

My new TRG-42 is .338 LM and I suspect will have the same problem. I am planning to put S&B 5-25x56 PMII scope on it. It has bigger lens (56 mm) and tube (34mm). Looks like it will be even harder to mount it lower.

Any suggestions?

AI, 18 MOA dovetail. Will not work on the 42 with any SnB, you have to mill out material to get it to work with SnB.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The best way to fix your problem is to change to a krg folding stock. Kind of pricey, but you have an expensive setup already, might as well go all out.

The best way to fix your problem is to change to a krg folding stock. Kind of pricey, but you have an expensive setup already, might as well go all out.

Duhhh, of course. This is why I posed the picture but failed to complete my recommendation. I'm tarded.

The KRG is the best thing for a TRG, ultra adjustable and makes cleaning really easy. Best $995 I have ever spent, honestly at that price it's still a bargain.

I have the KRG folding stock and it's perfect with a Larue low mount. No problems at all.