• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mount offset on AR

Peahi2

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
Hi folks,

New member here...I wanted to join this forum because I find the most useful information here with wisdom from experience.

Here is my situation: I have an AR pistol out here in California (where AR pistols are unicorns)and I have mounted an Nx8 1-8 on one of my uppers. The current mount I'm using is a Midwest Industries QD with 1.4 inch offset.

Question: I THINK I would like to use a zero offset mount because I would like to back up my cheek weld a bit. Does this make sense in this AR pistol set up? Or would the geometry be off and be a huge waste of my money (if I get another midwest industries QD it will be another $180+)? I have no problem shooting nose to charging handle, but when I was bench shooting it to zero I felt scrunched up and wanted to extend the brace a little (an SBA4)....and of course I got scope shadow with tight eye relief when magnification was turned up.

Background: I've tried to look up pictures of nx8 set ups on the web and my setup is pretty much set up with what seems to be common. I'm not saying the common setup is the optimum setup, and that's why I'm here asking. I have the mount pushed almost max to the aft, with a backup iron in place. If I am being honest, I would probably be shooting this from the bench mostly, and the rest of the time for HD. Shooting standing offhand the current setup feels fine, so maybe I should leave it be. I'm in no rush to make changes, but would like to hear opinions on a zero offset mount setup for AR. Hopefully some folks have tried and can share their thoughts.

FYI I have regular carbine length rifle already. I bought the AR pistol bc I wanted to get one before the CA politicians try to shut down the current state. Pretty soon parts are gonna be on the hit list, so we gotta do what we can for now. Ammo is non existent and they shutdown mail order ammo about a year ago. That combined with a handgun roster, featureless AR rules, and magazine locks for regular ARs make a pretty effective oppression campaign to make shooting difficult for law abiding citizens out here.

So, if I am reading this right, you want to extend the length of pull of the brace, so that you are less scrunched up on the gun. But, the eye relief of your chosen scope will not allow you to, because of where it is mounted on the upper. You cannot move the scope further rearward because of the cantilevered design of the scope mount. Correct? If so, yeah, get a mount that allows you to mount the scope further rearward. That nose on the charging handle shooting thing is not set in stone. The more important principle is that you have a consistent cheek weld. The charging handle presents a convenient index for face placement. But, if the gun doesn't fit, there is no rule that says you can't change it. It's no longer 1985 and you're not shooting irons anyway...

One think to bear in mind, however, is that the more stock like the brace (length of pull, etc), the more the ATF frowns on their use...