• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mount questions spuhr vs mpa vs ?

Tikka_taca1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Before I ask this I would like to say I have zero experience with spuhr or mpa mounts so keep that in mind.

ok so my rifle is a 16” tikka Tac a1, it’s in 308 and I just bought a 4-16 steiner from camera land, it comes with a steiner Mount which I am sure is fine but I think I’ll want to upgrade.

I was trying to decide between spuhr,mpa or just getting another adm mount with out the forward offset (common for ar type rifles) . I would also like to 45 offset a mrds, while I understand a lot of people are against the idea or think it’s dumb it’s part of my requirements.

with the spuhr I think you can buy the add in for an rmr to go 45, with the mpa or adm I’ll have to buy a picatinny 45 offset mount and attach it under the optic.

my question do you all is which way would you do this if you had to ? And as a mount it’s self which if the 3 would you choose ?

You could always give the MDT One Piece Scope Mount a try too? It's a little cheaper than the SPUHR and I would argue that it will retain your zero and transplant from rifle to rifle (not part of your intended use, but it can do it) as good as, or better than, any of the currently available one piece mounts!

We CURRENTLY do not have any scope ring accessories available, but that may be a different story in the new year ;)

Josh

I'm at the point in my life where funds must be very carefully considered. You're very fortunate to already have a quality mount and scope so perhaps consider simply adding an offset mount....some very good ones run 30 -45 dollars. Just thought.

If on the other hand you really don't want to use the Steiner mount i would imagine you could sell it and at least offset some of the ultimate cost.

No complaints with my spurh except cost. MDT makes a great product too. I think you will be happy with either. Just decide what RMR setup you want to run.

You could always give the MDT One Piece Scope Mount a try too? It's a little cheaper than the SPUHR and I would argue that it will retain your zero and transplant from rifle to rifle (not part of your intended use, but it can do it) as good as, or better than, any of the currently available one piece mounts!

We CURRENTLY do not have any scope ring accessories available, but that may be a different story in the new year ;)

Josh

ill look into them, never came across that mount before

Last edited:
Reactions: MDT_Josh
Why do you want an RMR on your bolt gun? Is it to have something for a quick shot up close while out hunting or is it to get on target more quickly? Find it with the RMR then go to the scope. If the later then you may not want a 45* offset.

With any of those mounts you may have to go higher than you planned it order to fit the RMR offset mount under the ocular lens. But putting it there will probably interfere with your bolt movement. You won’t be able to put it under the erector because your mount is going to be there. You could use rings and sneak it in but it may interfere with ejection. You could move it way out by the objective bell, though. That may be the only place you’ll get it on a 45* offset.

If you’re talking about a 45* offset on the actual top ring then tape an RMR there. You may find you have to crane your neck or have a chin weld to see it. That may be fine for you but you don’t want to spend the money and find you don’t like it.

An RMR on a railed ring cap (right on top) may be something to look at. I guess it all comes down to what your intended purpose of the RMR is.

You have a rifle, scope, and a mount. I'd assemble and shoot as is rather than ponder Spuhr or MPA. See what happens then upgrade afterward if necessary.

You have a rifle, scope, and a mount. I'd assemble and shoot as is rather than ponder Spuhr or MPA. See what happens then upgrade afterward if necessary.

Going to upgrade regardless

I normally use spuhr mounts but this time I went with MPA and I like it just as well.

i-PrbpqKm-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vamike9
I normally use spuhr mounts but this time I went with MPA and I like it just as well.
i-WR9p57Q-L.jpg

I thought about them also, looks solid and if I wanna do the rmr then a 45 degree rmr pic mount is 30-50 bucks.

but I watched the spuhr Mount vid presented by the company and it sound crazy adaptive

Reactions: Badfinger
Hello,

I use Sphur mounts. I haven't tried the MPA mounts; however, my Sphur mounts haven't given me a reason to try anything else.

Spuhr Mount.jpg

You wouldn’t be upgrading. You would just be switching mounts.

Rings are rings as far as i am concerned. Kinda like taking three tylenol for your headache when two will make it go away.

The MPA is very comparable to the Spuhr for quite a bit less money. I've run the MPA in the field extensively with no issues. Shot the Spuhr as well but other than the bubble on it I did not see much difference.

The MPA is very comparable to the Spuhr for quite a bit less money. I've run the MPA in the field extensively with no issues. Shot the Spuhr as well but other than the bubble on it I did not see much difference.

Thanks for that info

options for height and cant. and attaching a massive assortment of stuff.

I have never owned a spuhr, but I do have the MPA one piece and I love it. ALSO, the newest version of the MPA mount has an optional rail on the front ring so that covers that base for you as well.

Hi

When it comes to secondary sights on long range guns I see great use of it for other things than close range...

I am using a 12o'clock mounted secondary to faster find the target.
For example on a PRS match there is often targets not visiable for the eye, but there is something close easaly seen like a big rock or a three or something.
So instead of cranking scope down to 4-6X to find the next target I simply raise the eye to the reddot and find the rock or the three there,move eye back to scope and fire.

I am pretty sure we in the future will see way more mounted lasers.
And a laser is best mounted on the scopemount as there is ALWAYS a flex in the forend.
Currently LRFs are expensive, but sooner or later there will likely be more nicely priced lasers.

If there is a need for fast shots at close range I prefer the secondary sight mounted five o'clock instead to keep cheekweld and just rotate gun.
Now that is not really realistic on a heavy long range gun, but if the gun is easy to move this solution works great, and it does not build a high mount.

spuhr ISMS mounts are 95!!! different models in a lot of diffrent heights, tilts and dimensions.
It's over 40 various accesories for secondary sights. lasers, nv, thermal, ACI etc.
When I started to design the spuhr mount about 10 years ago and kindly got a lot of imput from Snipers hide members the intention was to make the most versatile mount with the most future in it.
I would say there is nooone even close.

when it comes to repetability and stability on the gun, the single MOST important part is to have grease or oil on the picatinny rail
With a dry mount on a dry rail there is no mount regardless of manufacturer that is safe from poi shits!

Attachments

• TRG3.jpg
    TRG3.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Raptor.jpg
    Raptor.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 430
  • Radious.jpg
    Radious.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 10584078_963325910382264_3072844643633339454_n.jpg
    10584078_963325910382264_3072844643633339454_n.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 211
  • TRG2.JPG
    TRG2.JPG
    754.6 KB · Views: 212
  • hWK HILL.jpg
    hWK HILL.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 250
Hi

When it comes to secondary sights on long range guns I see great use of it for other things than close range...

I am using a 12o'clock mounted secondary to faster find the target.
For example on a PRS match there is often targets not visiable for the eye, but there is something close easaly seen like a big rock or a three or something.
So instead of cranking scope down to 4-6X to find the next target I simply raise the eye to the reddot and find the rock or the three there,move eye back to scope and fire.

I am pretty sure we in the future will see way more mounted lasers.
And a laser is best mounted on the scopemount as there is ALWAYS a flex in the forend.
Currently LRFs are expensive, but sooner or later there will likely be more nicely priced lasers.

If there is a need for fast shots at close range I prefer the secondary sight mounted five o'clock instead to keep cheekweld and just rotate gun.
Now that is not really realistic on a heavy long range gun, but if the gun is easy to move this solution works great, and it does not build a high mount.

spuhr ISMS mounts are 95!!! different models in a lot of diffrent heights, tilts and dimensions.
It's over 40 various accesories for secondary sights. lasers, nv, thermal, ACI etc.
When I started to design the spuhr mount about 10 years ago and kindly got a lot of imput from Snipers hide members the intention was to make the most versatile mount with the most future in it.
I would say there is nooone even close.

when it comes to repetability and stability on the gun, the single MOST important part is to have grease or oil on the picatinny rail
With a dry mount on a dry rail there is no mount regardless of manufacturer that is safe from poi shits!

Could you help me understand the thought process of lubricating the contact points of the rail and optic mount?

Reactions: eelman308
Yes!
Of we compare to a screw, 95% of a screws torque is lost in friction, by adding lubricant we change that so we loose about 85% in friction.

same thing happends betwen rings and picatinny, 95% of torque is lost in friction and rings are not properly seated on picatinny.

When scope gets an impact, it Will move.
By adding lubricant betwen rings and picatinny you get those rings correctly seated and they Will not move upon impact.

You can easaly test this yourself!
Check zero on you’r rifle, bitchslap scope and check zero again.....

Yes!
Of we compare to a screw, 95% of a screws torque is lost in friction, by adding lubricant we change that so we loose about 85% in friction.

same thing happends betwen rings and picatinny, 95% of torque is lost in friction and rings are not properly seated on picatinny.

Apples and oranges. Not even close to the same mechanics at work here.

The mouthbreathers will swallow anything you say. But not everyone is ignorant about this subject.

Check out a great value in a one piece mount.......F3R Machine.
It's a Wisconsin company and a hell of a solid mount. There is a nice video on their website showing how they make it.