• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Mount vs Rings for AR10

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
While I wait for my scope to arrive in a couple months I need to figure out a way to mount it on my AR10. Is there any advantage to just using rings (Seekins) vs a mount or a cantilever mount? This is the first time I have put a scope on an AR other than an ACOG using a
Larue mount. If a mount is better what do you recommend and why?

I personally am using a Spuhr Mount. I use rings on my bolt gun (also Spuhr).
I believe the reason mounts are popular is do to the ability to mount the scope farther forward via a cantilevered set up. Often times on an AR, people shoot nose to charging handle, or very close to it. This puts your eye too close to the scope for correct eye relief. Using a cantaliever mount let’s you push the scope farther out for proper eye relief. I am not a “nose to CH shooter”, but I went with a mount do to the fact that, at first, I only had one really nice scope. In my mind, I could remove the mount, and move it between rifles easier. Now that I look back, I expect you could do that with rings too. At the time, it seemed logical. ?

Why don’t you just do the best of both worlds and get a Seekins mxm cantilever mount? As stated above, the cantilever makes it easier to find proper eye relief. With rings, there is a chance you will be mounted too far back, and I wouldn’t mount forward of the receiver on the rail with a ring. I have the mxm and I think it is a great mount

Try Swfa. Geissele makes an awesome mount as well but it’s more dough

Yeah I heard from someone else that they were having a hard time finding the mount in stock. I think I got lucky one day. I know that on the seekins site, they are backordered on pretty much everything they sell. I'd put a backorder in at seekins if you really want the mount. I think its an awesome mount that is reasonably priced. If money is no object, then you can get the Geissele which is an excellent piece too from what I have heard and seen in person

AAD too. That mount is an absolute beast

I have a Gen II PST mounted on my AR10 with a 20moa ADM Recon mount.....my stock has an adjustable cheek piece so I can get proper cheek weld, but otherwise I might feel that my scope height is a tad too high...haven't measured precisely, but its around 3in with a tape measure.....am I too high?
POF P308.jpg

I think it comes down to if you want cant to stretch the scope out and/or need quick release. If the answer is no then rings are probably perfectly fine. Some find they need the cantilever but I’ve never seen the need.

If you go the mount route, the best I have used are Spuhr and Geissele and wouldnt hesitate to use ARC M10 based on their rings. If you already have the Seekins rings, I would start with those unless you find yourself in the situations mentioned above.

If the rifle fits you, you aren't too high.

I personally haven't had an issue mounting a scope to a 308 ar with rings. IE, I haven't needed the cantilever to achieve the eye relief I needed. Ymmv. The advantage is you can buy a set of, say, seekins rings that will be 100% reliable for much less money than a mount that will be equally dpendable.

I don't need nor want a quick release. Having never used a scope on an AR I was not sure if I would need the cantilever base or not. Eventually I want to put a Magpul PRS stock on it but for now will make do with the collapsible stock.