• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Mounted new Nightforce NXS

Highmark

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Kentucky
Purchased a new Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56 a while back and have just now got to put it through the ringers.

My setup is a Remington Sendero in 7MM RUM, I previously had a Leupold Vari X III 6.5x20x50 LRT.
I shoot my own loads , the best setup I have used is the Nosler 150 Ballistic tip at 3461 fps. It has consistently shot 3/8 moa and have had some groups at 7/16 Moa.
My Rem. factory triger was set to 20 oz.
When I purchased the Nightforce I also purchased a Jewell triger and installed both at the same time. It is still set at factory 1 lb. I did adjust the over travel all way out.
The problem now is I can't get anything smaller than 3/4 MOA
WIth the same load as before. Using same mounts as before, Tried the Nightforce Direct mount. Thought the problem might be in the mount so I switched back to the Leupold two piece base and rings I used with the Leupold 6.5x20 and yes they have been lapped, with same results 3/4 MOA.
Shot yesterday at 100 yds. and dialed out to 650yds. on steel
and rang the plate (10"x12") and dialed back to 100 and groups were consistent with 0. and 3/4 MOA.

Any suggestions?

Re: Mounted new Nightforce NXS

once you lap a set of rings they cant be removed and reinstalled without lapping them again

I'm guessing that if you reinstalled the old trigger that you're used to, it would fix things.

I would check the trigger and the pins and safty lever to see if they are contacting the stock or bottom metal in any way. Are the groups good with a flier that opens them up or are they just bad groups, all rounds spaced out? Is the objective of the scope hitting the barrel? Just some quick ideas. Good luck.

The rings were lapped just before installing the Nightforce.

the shots on paper are fairly evenly spaced no single one where you could call it a flyer.
I even took the barreled action back out of the stock and put it back to see if that changed anything and it did slightly move the overall group to the right about a half an inch at 100 yds.
By the way the stock is the original HS Precision.
It will be a couple weeks before I can get back to the range,'
I plan to put the Leupold back on to see if that changes anything.
All shots were fired off sand bags.
I have another Sendero identical to this one that I let my son use when we hunt. It is also set up with Leupold 6.5x20x50 LRT and this one is a variax model with fine cross hairs which with the same load shoots half MOA consistent original trigger and set at 32 oz. on this one.
When originaly mounted the NXS I was going to try it out before installing trigger then install trigger and see if any difference but got too anxious too quick I guess.
Scope is not contacting barrel it is set on high mounts which gives me 1/8" clearance between bell and barrel.
This week I will remove stock and see if anything is contacting the trigger or anything else and sit back and scratch my head for the next two weeks.

did you torque the action screws in the same as they were originally ?

could be the difference there too...

I don't think the trigger upgrade and scope upgrade made you shoot worse. I usually only change one thing at a time.... easier to pinpoint any troubles or problems.

It may just take you a bit to get use to it. Different scope, different cheek weld, different sized trigger shoe, different pull from factory trigger... just saying put some rounds down it and settle in to new stuff first.

I had a rifle once that got instantly more accurate when a scope was removed and replaced with another. The rifle was accurate before the scope change, but was very accurate after the swap.

Once the correct torque is verified on the action screws, the scope should definately be looked at as the potential problem. I sure wouldn't let the fact that I lapped a set of rings stand in the way of checking it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once you lap a set of rings they cant be removed and reinstalled without lapping them again </div></div>

Did you come up with this little gem on your own, or did someone else pass that along to you?

No I had a local dealer locate it new for me in 2001 and Installed the Leupold on it in 2002, had a time finding which bullet and powder combo It liked the best and have taken 17 white tail with it since then, a few by my son, then purchased the second one for him to use.

My question was directed to the maker of the ridiculous statement in the quote.

I would suggest changing scopes as matchking recommended, to see if the problem goes away.