• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounting a scope

Re: Mounting a scope

We don't use precision around these parts. We just torque it till something pops, and if you're real fancy, you can use dental floss for crosshairs...what do you mean by absolute precision?

LOL remau308! I guess I did make it sound a little annal. What I'm concerned about is making sure the scope is level and the vertical cross hair is in fact vertical in correlation to the barrel. In other words, under ideal conditions with absolutely no wind, if you were to come up 72 clicks (in MRAD) to compensate for 208" of bullet drop at 800 yards, will the scope track properly where both bullet strike and scope zero be the same. Oh well, I guess I still sound annal. LOL!

I'm fairly new to tactical shooting and I read a short article about mounting scopes for deer hunting vs. tactical shooting because tactical requires a precise mount so the scope tracks properly. Unfortunately, the article didn't give any details on mounting.

Basically, if you have a good base and rings (badger ordnance, seekins, Nightforce, etc.), all you need to mount the scope level is feeler gauges from your nearest automotive store. You place the scope in the rings very loosely, then play with the feeler gauges until you find the right combination that fits the gap between the flat bottom of the scope and the base. This will get you as close as you will ever need. I've used this method many times on lots of different rifles, bases, and scopes and it works great. It's not really as complicated as you may have thought it to be.

You're not being anal at all. Making sure your scope tracks properly is the basics. How you gonna work your scope if its not tracking properly? Mount it the way you feel is best but be sure and test it (box test, etc) and make sure it is tracking right. The link Jackalope posted is worth the read for you. Whatever you do, always test to confirm. Thats the way "we" do it, whoever the hell we is.
wink.gif

okie

If you don't have a set of automotive feeler gauges, any disadvantages with using a deck of playing cards? I've seen others mention this and it seems like a viable option for a cheap bastage like me. Just wondering if there's a reason this wouldn't work just as well as the feeler gauges.