• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounting Help, 34mm steiner 5-25 mil/tac on Savage 10flp

fmelloni82

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
Hey Guys,

My go to mount used to be the one piece DNZ. But I dont see any offerings for 34mm.

I also want to know if anybody had any experience with this. I want to pick a base with the most shim that I can still have a 100yd zero, while getting enough elevation gain to reach as far as possible.

Rifle is chambered in .308 but I occasionally like to reach out past 1400.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Frank

On the Steiner manual it says if you want to use all of the available elevation you should use a 45moa (13.1 mil) base / base&mount. Even if you had a 300yd zero it would only put you about 1-1.5 mils above zero to hit at 100yds.

However, DNZ can make 34mm mounts. They are under their custom shop section and cost at least 100$ more than Spuhr mounts.

With your optic mount is there anything specific you are wanting?

Thanks Micah,

See now my question is if I use that 45moa base will i have to zero on the top mil? Th manual just says "mounted without a tapered base it will be considerable higher"

I dont want to spend a couple of hundred bucks to find out its not what I need. A centerpoint zero should be fine because that gives me 26 mills in the turrets and 15 mils in the reticle.

Thats enough dope to put me out past a mile with a .308!

I havent been in the market for a mount in almost a decade. My only requirements are one peice base and rings.

What else should I be looking for?

What companies should I check out?

Thanks

I'm not sure if using the 45moa will still allow for a 100yd zero or not, but if you are wanting full use of the available 26mils then it is your only option. That is if I am understanding the wording in the manual correctly.

If you are looking for a one piece base you could look up NF, Badger, EGW, or Murphy Precision.

On one piece bases you could look into QD mount types like Bobro, ADM, and USO. For more permanent base options you can get Spuhr, Badger, or NF.
I have a Bobro 34mm mount, but it was just a bit too high for my needs so I just purchased some Seekins 2 piece rings that are very low in comparison. I wouldn't be switching optics between that gun and others so leaving it set was my plan anyways.

American Rifle Company makes the QD-L in 34mm rings with 20 & 30 MOA elevation in them. I have a custom made 40moa in 30mm that is a prototype and it was a bit much for most things, hence the 20 and 30 options.

You can just call and order the 30MOA 34mm option off the shelf right now. That would be my "go to" if I was putting the my Steiner 5-25 into a uni-mount type setup.

What barrel length does that gun have, 24"? What load are you shooting? Are you supersonic at 1400?

Using a 175 gr SMK at 2600 fps with some generic atmospheric conditions, it shows 22.1 mils of drop at 1400 yds. It shows the load going sub sonic at around 1100. These are with a 100 yd zero.

There are 3.44 moa per mil, so a 20 moa base is 5.81 mil, a 30 moa base is 8.72 mil, and a 40 moa base is 11.63 mil.

If Steiner has total of 26 mils of travel, and you were zeroed at optic center, you would have 13 mils plus the base numbers listed above. With the 175 SMK load I used as an example, you would need the 40 moa base to get there.

If you have your actual load data, you can plug it in and see what you need to get to 1400 and figure out what base you need from there.

I'm running a Steiner 5-25x56 in a Spuhr 13 mil (44.4 MOA) mount and have 2 mils left with a 100 yard zero on a Reminton 700.

Joe

Damn I am lost on this MOA mount stuff. I just bought a Steiner 4-16x50 Military and I don't know what base I need for my AR in .308

I was looking at a Spuhr with 44MOA and the Bobro 34mm mount in 20MOA.

I don't plan on going out to a mile in this haha.