• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mounting Weapon light to ar-15 (m4)

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
I've got a DPMS AR-15 it's the optic ready verison with the 16" barrel. I'm looking at mounting the weapon light with one of the front sight mounts that clamp to the front sight.
I'm also looking at adding a 6" rail under the forearm for a vertical grip. The light kit is a Surefire weapon light that I got from 700p300 here on the hide. Do you think that the front sight mounts are any good for this purpose. I don't want anything thats going to mess up the front sight from being a back sight on this rifle. Or should I just save for a quad rail/low profile gas block (for a longer forearm), and a flip up front sight.

Ken

Re: Mounting Weapon light to ar-15 (m4)

This is the reason I freefloated my handguard, all that weight tends to mess with your barrel. It wont be a HUGE difference, but I'd rather not.

I would get a Midwest, I managed to get the rail, gas block, and trim ring for $188 off eBay, US made.

See Gallery for pics.

Attaching the light to the barrel won't mess anything up. I've been shooting this basic light setup in a 2-gun run and gun with a lowlight stage for around 6 years. (Do it every friday.)

Bushy_M4_Low.jpg

Bushy_M4_2_Low.jpg

It's not very elegant looking, but it's worked for me. The fore-end is clear, and the light doesn't get caught up on barricades since it's in the 6 o'clock position.

More recently since I've adapted my fore-end hold to be farther out and use the vertical grip as more of a handstop, I've moved the method of actuation to a different spot. Now it is nestled in between the rails in the 11 o'clock position forward of the foregrip. Also I'm using a stubby Larue FUG and it's probably about 5-6 rail positions forward of where this old grip is located.

Ultimately I'd rather have something like a midlength foreend and a surefire X300 on it. But that's more for elegance, and since this works, it's not something I plan on changing anytime soon.

Just a suggestion, but if you are going to add a light plus foregrip why not save weight and space and get a combo setup? FAB or Mako have one with both foregrip and light or holder. They even have one foregrip with built in light that splits and widens to a bipod, which is the one I have for my AR15.

M900 isn't exactly lightweight. I definitely wouldn't suggest running one on a plastic hand guard with a rail section attached to it. (Will be wiggly as hell.)

Oh yeah, the M900 isn't cheap either.

Just a note I already have the Surefire M962 weapon light. What am wanting to know is if the picatinny rail mounts that clamp onto a standard front sight post will support this light without effecting the front sight in any way. I want the front sight to stay true as I'm using them as a backup to my optics.

I love my Surefire Scoutlight. It is light and bringt. I use the pic rail attached pressure pad from surefire and it snaps right to the rail and you now have a momentary pressure pad and a constant on/off clickie. I really like this setup and it keeps the rifle light, and durable.

BCMAR2.jpg

BCMAR3.jpg

That light is way to big to mount on the front sight post. Get a set of used surefire or knight armament hand guards and mount To those. If you were mounting a 600 or 6p up there that would work, but not the 962.

+1 on the scoutlight is is the brightest tac light I've used but its pricey. If you don't want to buy a quadrail take a look at the CAA rail that clamps onto the bayonet lug, just large enough to fit a pistol type light http://www.botachtactical.com/iti.html
But if I were you I would get the quad rail. Stryder who makes that grip?

ok I felt that the 962 light would be to much to mount to the front sight post just was not for sure. I'll save my money for a free floating quad rail. I think I want to go mid lenght quad rail and remove the front sight post and use a low profile gas block and trim ring. Then get a flip up front sight post for back up sights.

Thanks for the input

Does anyone have an idea of a good way to mount this light until I get the quad rail system.

Definitely go with a rail. I have the same light and it's nice but too big for barrel mount IMO.

DSCN0519.jpg

Is there a reason why you don't have your lever full engaged or did you just throw it on their for pictures sake?

Surefire is your best bet for a weapons mounted light. They are tough and bright. Not to mention the LED's are taking over the market. Low voltage + super bright light = a no brainer. I run the m900 in LED on my SBR. Works great, highly recommend looking into that

ggmanning, I think that is the way I'm going to mount my light.

The quad rail is looking more and more like a must have for my rifle.

Oh geez, I didn't realize that the Surefire M962 was the Millennium 9v light. I've got one of those and it's so damn bulky and heavy it just sits in a box. Only thing I found it good for was shooting steel in the prone out to 150yds at night.

Remember, if you're mounting in the 3 or 9 o'clock positions you've made your rifle way wider and it can more easily get caught on barriers. 6 o'clock is the superior position.

That Danger Close mount is pretty cool, you can nestle the light in the inside corner of a quad rail and reduce the lights overall profile.

Still, I think a modern LED pistol light is the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Still, I think a modern LED pistol light is the way to go. </div></div>

yes, the SF X300 at 12 o'clock is great too.

TLR1, done the rest is gravy

you use your forearm hand/fingers to turn it on/off mount it on the trigger hand side to keep it out of your field of view. TLR1s brighter and lighter and definitely cheaper and tough enough to bet your life on. I carry mine every day on duty, one on my rifle and one one my pistol.

IMG00067-20100615-2312.jpg

IMG00065-20100615-2312.jpg

IMG00069-20100615-2358.jpg

IMG00068-20100615-2358.jpg

This works pretty well for me. Yes the mount is upside down, but it works.

swmp103.jpg

Shot at 2010-04-02

salmon, have you shot your rig, then shot it without light mounted, was there a zero shift? that's what everyone says at least that it messes with harmonics and all that. I have only used SF rail mounted models all with great success, just love em!

Light never leaves the rifle. It's pretty much a permanent fixture on it. So I have no idea if it effects POI. My guess is it probably would.

i agree az. but ive also had good experience with simply attaching a small piece of rail to m4 handguards with screws and nuts. then you can put whatever light you want on that without all the excessive gaudy rail all over the gun messin with ergonomics. id recommend attaching to 3 oclock position for right handers so as to divert hostile fire as far off center line as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag </div></div>

What is this?

Are you saying tag you're it? Or are you saying you are following the thread?

Genuinely confused. Sorry for the off-topic, consider it a bumb.

After months of wanting a Scout M600C, I decided to go with Surefire's M78 .8" mount, and a Surefire E2D LED. I would only use the button switch and there is no reason for me to get a Scout for so much more. I am using it with an AFG for anyone who is wondering.

The tape switch would be for people going "full retard" on a vertical grip, or trying to make it work with an AFG.

Ok , if you are mounting a rail to the lower portion of your handguards you can get an offset mount to position the light up and out of the way. In War form follows function. I love the taped on g3. I use both SF combat lights and SF nitro flashlights. Bottom line. Bulbs brake, led (100lm +) is the way to go. You can upgrade and work with what you can afford. Say buy a Offset mount, get a SF G3, upgrade to a push button tail cap, and mount a KT2 turbohead on it. Keep some extra bulbs with you. OR You could also get the LED conversion head OR even better get the G2L and G3 and you cam swap all parts incld the turbo head and led heads. This set up is twice as lite as well. Not that I don't like my Combat lights (shock iso) this is a form follows function poboy rig better then duct tap. Lol