• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Mounts for aligning NV and Aimpoint

crumpmd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama. USA
If I was going to get a Aimpoint M3 and mount it on my carbine and use my GI mount for PVS14 behind it what mount would I want to use for the aimpoint to keep them both on the receiver and in line with one another?

Indeed this is the reason will built the original TM-14 at the request of a Mil unit several years ago. We killed 3 birds with one stone with our mount. The TM-14 uses the factory Aimpoint base with tens of thousands of these out there in commercial and Mil circles. This base is also used for Aimpoints 3x magnifier also with tens of thousands out there. These are battle proven units.

TM14_2_zpsc4731086.jpg

TMEO_ex_zpscf5c0a9a.jpg

We also make a EO Tech magnifier mount to also use the Aimpoint twist base for even added versatility.
https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-tm14-pvs-14-weapon-mount/

Well A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I already have the GI mount for the PVS14. And it is cumbersome to mount and unmount, but time is not a critical factor. If we are going back on the helmet we will have plenty of time to do the switch and stow the gear. I am using it for pigs and not on a two way range (haha)

Thanks for your response.

I suppose co-witness for an AR variant with iron sights is about 36mm?

Well A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I already have the GI mount for the PVS14. And it is cumbersome to mount and unmount, but time is not a critical factor. If we are going back on the helmet we will have plenty of time to do the switch and stow the gear. I am using it for pigs and not on a two way range (haha)

Thanks for your response.

I suppose co-witness for an AR variant with iron sights is about 36mm?

I understand that brother. I'm not made of money so I do things a piece at a time. Just upgrade mounts for your birthday or something down the road.
If you haven't bought the Aimpoint yet, you may look at an EOTech. For strictly daytime shooting, I prefer the Aimpoint, but when you use it in conjunction with night vision, I have found the EOTech to be the better of the two. That is strictly an opinion though.

The downside to weapon-mounted NVG is that you have to point the gun at anything you wish to see. Another option is an IR laser and no weapon mount at all.
That's more money, but it works well.
Hogs need kill'in, carry on.

The downside to weapon-mounted NVG is that you have to point the gun at anything you wish to see. Another option is an IR laser and no weapon mount at all.
That's more money, but it works well.
Hogs need kill'in, carry on.

I wouldn't recommend permanently mounting your PVS-14 to your weapon for this exact reason.

With the IC Ultimate Weapons Mount you can go right from your head to your weapon and back with single push button release ease. In addition its straight insertion means your not fumbling to lock it in either place AND you can close mount your 14 to your Aimpoint or Eotech, WITH or WITHOUT a 3X magnifier on your 14.

Our philosophy with the PVS-14 is to primarily mount the 14 to your helmet (preferably in a D-14 mount) as this gives you hands free operation and situational awareness. Now you can use a laser With your NVD mounted to your head to make a 150ish yard and in snap shot quite easily. If you find yourself in a situation where you don't WANT to or CAN'T legally shoot with a laser then dismount the PVS 14 from your helmet and quickly put it on your weapon, take the shot and then put the 14 back on your head! The advantages in doing it this way is you can maintain your correct shooting stance and cheek weld. That Fundamentals of marksmanship thing they drilled into me Lo those many years ago in the Marines makes me want to shoot correctly.

A Quick note on laser use. I like em and I use them BUT they are like tracers, they go both ways. If your ever in a situation where a potential opposition might or does have Night Vision equipment dependency on lasers could hamstring ya! Its all about versatility and having a good weapons mount along with the laser helps cover more bases.