• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Move over Humvee!

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Just saw one of these on Top Gear... The Supacat Jackal!

Replacement for the Long Range Land Rovers. Both the Brit SAS and SBS and Aussie SAS have them along with Royal Marines, etc.

jackal.jpg

http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-air-service/mobility-troop/supacat/

Some versions have an 80 MPH (130 KPH)+ top speed... completely configurable, air portable. SBS ones have twin GPMG's... Now I know what I want for Christmas.

Though somehow I don't see Arnold getting one of these through DOT inspection...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: Move over Humvee!

Yeah... I'll stick with my old trusty Frag-7 HMMWV. Don't have to worry about a stray rock getting kicked up and fracturing my face.

Wonder what the mpg is on that beast...or mabey its gpm.

Check out the Oshkosh corporation JLTV, bad ass shit! I get to play around with them once in awhile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all fun and games till you take fire and or hit an IED </div></div>

+1000

Looks OK for hog hunting...

Nice armor for the vehicle but WTF is the crew suppose to do? That is the worst designed fighting vehicle I've seen barring a tricycle. I thought it was for the French when I first saw it, a high speed white flag waving running away vehicle.

I'd hate to be the fella that has to lift that spare tire down, if it's needed. That thing looks heavy.

Saw those in Afghanistan. we applauded the courage of the guys that rode in them.

Not all vehicles can be Armoured Fighting Vehicles, even what you guys call "Sand Rails" are used, imagine trying to armour one of them. Please excuse the spelling, I am Australian.

That's nuts! Design by former Japanese aircraft engineer? Hey, our planes are fast, they don't need armor, or self sealing fuel tanks. I seem to recall the pilots called one plane the Zippo sure-light one shot lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barneybdb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not all vehicles can be Armoured Fighting Vehicles, even what you guys call "Sand Rails" are used, imagine trying to armour one of them. Please excuse the spelling, I am Australian.</div></div>

As Barney says... not all fighting vehicles are intended to be armored... some are made to move fast for deep strike, ambush and hitting rear areas...

The 'Cats' are replacing the SAS 110's (which on a good day, you could poke a pencil through the aluminum fenders):

pinky2.jpg

The Defenders replaced these Pink Panther 109's which were used successfully all over the Middle East, including in Oman, Yemen, etc. These were in the inventory for decades:

pinky-1.jpg

And the Pink Panthers replaced these Jeeps of David Stirling's SAS. Along with the Long Range Desert Group, LRDG (made up largely of Australians and New Zealanders) these SAS Jeeps cut to pieces more Luftwaffe aircraft in Libya during WW2 than the entire RAF. Believe it was by about 2:1. They would get in a phalanx or chevron formation and drive down the runways lighting up everything that they could see. That is all the aircraft that they hadn't blown up first by hand-setting bombs on them.

pinky3.jpg

For a great read on the background of the 'original' SAS Jeeps... here's a link.

http://www.m201.com/sasjeep.htm

If you want to read a phenomenal book about the early SAS, track down a copy of "The Phantom Major" about Stirling and the WW2 Libya campaign. To say that these guys were tough... and smart... is the understatement of the day.

AFV's are indespensible... but as Barney said, not all vehicles need to be armored (or armoured as he would put it.)

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AFV's are indespensible... but as Barney said, <span style="color: #FF0000">not all vehicles need to be armored</span> (or armoured as he would put it.)
</div></div>

If it needs guns, it needs armor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AFV's are indespensible... but as Barney said, not all vehicles need to be armored (or armoured as he would put it.)

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

I didn't say the vehicle needed armor. I said <span style="font-weight: bold">I</span> need armor.

They've also got a version with some plating on them

mwmik-jackal.jpg

I still prefer the Fenek as in use by the Dutch troops as a light reconaissance vehicle

Fennek%20(Nederland)_001%20(WEL).jpg

1. Seems awefully fucking big for 3 people!
2. Seems a little (a lot) exposed for anything other than running to the grocery store!
3. Seems like it would get stuck everywhere!

... Not impressed.

Here's a short film about the Fennek (better turn down the sound because the music isn't as good as the previous clip).

Not much to be found about the Fennek in Afghanistan because they are usually on Co Op.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyudjJfL49A&feature=g-hist"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyudjJfL49A&feature=g-hist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Looks like and endless supply of unhappy endings for the occupants. Gunner's head above the cage, not that the cage would be very protective anyway in a rollover. Rear gunner just better hope it stays right side up. Looks entirely as if the designer intended to save the vehicle, to hell with the crew. Of course, all this concern for the crew would be SO touching to the BAMF's that saddle up for rides in these things...
laugh.gif

I've talked with some Royal Marines who were running around with them and they all seemed to really like the vehicle. It's worked out well for them in the Helmand Province. I'm sure the more mountainous provinces present different challenges, but for South AFG, they seem to be working out well.

I think we as Americans troops have gotten a little too comfortable and reliant on going in with the slow and heavy.

I saw a bunch of them the first time I was over there. We always flew over them parked in the middle of the desert not doing shit The crew was always sleeping on the back. But I woulnd't want to go near shit in that thing either.