• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Movie: "Food Inc"

Clark

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2003
WA the everblue state
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqQVll-MP3I

This is a documentary on the industrialization of the modern food supply.

This piece of propaganda is;
anti Bush
liberal
anti capitalism
anti corn
anti soy bean
anti genetic engineering
anti Monsanto corporation
anti lawyer

But it is a well made film that has some good points.
food%20inc.jpg
08_food_inc__blu-ray.jpg
foodinc2.png

I watched this film two days ago, and i am still pissed off at the liberals that made this film.

Re: Movie: "Food Inc"

I haven't watched this, but probably will get around to it at some point.

Genetic engineering is an awesome ability we've been practicing for a long time, but growing significantly better at.

It is very important that companies like Monsanto are kept under a very watchful eye with their tampering though. I'm not anti-genetic engineering by any means. I believe it's an awesome ability we have and will be able to use moving forward to greatly increase the productivity of our efforts in producing food.

However, if companies are given carte blanche abilities and aren't extremely responsible with their testing the mistakes they make can reach FAR beyond their labs.

For instance specifically Roundup ready is the first thing that pops to my mind, despite all kinds of other examples being available.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Monsanto_and_the_Roundup_Ready_Controversy

Monsanto has been known to take the cheap way out of a problem at the cost of public health on occasion as well. It shouldn't be hard to dig up any info on their little PBC's scandal.

You want to talk about some 400% increase in birth defects, 10 year old children winding up with cancer and girls under the age of 10 going through puberty they're a culprit. To their credit they cleaned all that up after it became obvious they couldn't get away with it any longer but I'll let you look up more info on that yourself.

Haven't watched it yet but do have a couple thoughts on the idea of the film.

I don't like the propaganda from either side, and there is plenty of it. I grew up on the farm, my folks still farm, I have relatives that make their living from the farm, and I farm part time. That said, there is a massive chasm between agriculture and agribusiness.

The government farm program is not for farmers, it is for agribusiness. As such it has done little but accelerated the consolidation of agriculture and agribusiness, which is, from family farms to huge corporate farms. Every time they want to pass a new farm program they trot out the family farmers and talk about how they have to pass this to save the family farm but of course the outcome is exactly the opposite. I love agriculture but am not fond of corporate agribusiness.

We would all be better off if we returned to Jeffersonian ideals and all became a little closer to the land and not depend so fully on the corporate machine.

Now, to balance this, I realize that this structure has done a tremendous amount to reduce hunger and provide for a stable food supply so I am not agruing for an elimination of the system, rather a rational discussion of the merits of each and a balancing of the costs and benefits of each extreme.

First things first though, get the .gov out of agriculture. That would be an excellent start.

If your a family farmer you will like this movie.

I grew up on a dairy farm, we don't milk cows anymore; nobody around our little town in Ohio does. Everyone works at cargill now.

F the Ag monopolies.

My family has a very large hog operation is SW Michigan and in the last 15 years we have gone through a huge transformation similar to what you see in this movie. We used to raise hogs outside in a more natural environment animal friendly. It was quite a bit of work but it was good for the animals it is nice to be out in the fresh air working. In the last decade the market/meat packer drove us to change out ways and build confinement barns and raise the hogs inside in a factory setting. I personally can't stand the barns and am glad I don't work on the farm anymore. They are a horrible environment to work in and I cant imagine they are good for the livestock either. I truly hope that the government regulates them to the point that you are forced to go back to raising them outside but I doubt that will ever happen because there is not good way to keep up with the demand or as profitable if you go that route.

Do not watch this with your wife/girlfriend. She will become a royal PITA to feed after watching it!!!