• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving cross country

SQUATCH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
In a Cave
Finally getting the hell out of California and heading to Iowa. Was wondering if anyone had experience using movers like PODS or other similar companies. Trying to find a nice price solution but also reliable. Appreciate any help.

Re: Moving cross country

You're going to want to leave all your stuff there, it's probably been infected at this point and according to the state of california everything there causes cancer :p

PODS is more for storage than it is for moving, if you want to pack everything up in your house and store it for a few months while searching for a new place or whatever, they're perfect, otherwise you'd probably be better off with a traditional moving company.

Re: Moving cross country

I moved fom MD to Texas a couple of years ago. If you plan to move yourself, here's a solution.

Pack up beds and clothes, a few dishes and what you'll need to live for a couple of weeks. I filled a 12 foot uhaul trailer for three of us. Put the rest in storage. When you get to where you're going, find a hotel and do some house hunting. Apartments can look good on the interweb until you get there and realize it's right next to the home depot and a night club. Take a week or so to find a place in a location you like. Move your trailer junk into the place, then head back to the old place (I flew back) and get a rental truck bigger than what you need - bigger truck = bigger motor = less hassle loaded down and heading over the mountains. If you have heavy stuff (safe, tool box) consider a lift gate or low boy trailer. One way it back and unload all your big stuff all at once.

If you have a service move your stuff, you're at the mercy of their schedule and you're nearly guaranteed to have something broken or lost.