• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Moving to Alaska caliber/rifle selection

Re: Moving to Alaska caliber/rifle selection

I would definitely recommend a 300 mag or 338 for those jobs, Im just explaining what my family has used in the past and still currently does. (sorry for the mislead) They do mostly non guided hunts because they have a cabin they use. My uncle uses a 300 WBY MAG, and grandfather uses my great grand fathers 30-06 and my great grand father just goes to enjoy the view now up there. Grandfather took plenty of caribou, and a much smaller coastal brownie. Uncle took a bull moose on that trip.

I'm chicken shit. I'd go for the .375 H7H Mag.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Believe me, when things go bad, recoil is the last thing that you think of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm chicken shit. I'd go for the .375 H7H Mag.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Believe me, when things go bad, recoil is the last thing that you think of. </div></div>

In my humble experience, a 338 mag will pop you harder than a 375 H&H. My 375 recoil is more of a hard push rather than the hard punch of a 338. I also hunt without a brake. My hearing is more important than a little recoil. I am waiting on a can for it though and recoil will be greatly reduced.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definitely recommend a 300 mag or 338 for those jobs, Im just explaining what my family has used in the past and still currently does. (sorry for the mislead) They do mostly non guided hunts because they have a cabin they use. My uncle uses a 300 WBY MAG, and grandfather uses my great grand fathers 30-06 and my great grand father just goes to enjoy the view now up there. Grandfather took plenty of caribou, and a much smaller coastal brownie. Uncle took a bull moose on that trip. </div></div>

I think it is a mistake to put too much stock in the difference between a 30-06 and a 300 magnum.
The most significant difference is the 300Mag allows practical use of a 200 grain bullet....For the most part it is a distance thing. In all the larger animals I have shot I see no real difference between the two. IMHO if you need more gun you need bigger diameter bullet.

For some unknown reason deer are affected by the extra velocity...Take a 300Ultra and hammer a deer with a 165 at 3500 and the results are electrifying. I think guys see this then figure they have a bigger hammer than they really do. Then they the same combination on a moose, elk, or other big animal and it just shrugs the speed off...Can't tell you why.

That said I'm not crapping on the 30 cal and I do think Alaskaman underestimates the 30-06.
My buddy took two Brownys with his 30-06 (me behind him with a 416) and both animals went down without an issue. Place the bullet where it needs to go and its sure death...I don't care what it is.
My other bud has taken his 30-06 to Africa every year for over decade and he has nothing but good things to say....He is a hell of a shot...Especially under pressure.
He does use a 375 for dangerous game.

Peace

LegioX, I must defer to your experience. I've shot a .338 WM 5 times in my life and a .375 H7H Mag. only once.

The interval between the two was somewhat long, so I can't make a subjective observation between the two.

My main thought is that where the OP is going, the .338 Win. Mag. is a very popular cartridge and readily available.

You are correct Killer, a lot of peeps run the 338. I'm just not a fan. If I couldn't have a 375, the 300 WM would be my 2nd choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In my humble experience, a 338 mag will pop you harder than a 375 H&H. My 375 recoil is more of a hard push rather than the hard punch of a 338. I also hunt without a brake. My hearing is more important than a little recoil. I am waiting on a can for it though and recoil will be greatly reduced.
smile.gif
</div></div>
I have heard that and said that myself.
I think the truth might be the 375 rifle is usually heavier than the 338.
smile.gif

LX just bought a 375 H&H, I am interested in your comment about suppressors for it. what brand did you go with?

I always liked having a lightweight bush gun and a large revolver when messing around in the mountains.
For a bush gun I prefer a .458 win mag for Bears and such.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gadbmw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LX just bought a 375 H&H, I am interested in your comment about suppressors for it. what brand did you go with? </div></div>

Byron with DeltaP Designs is whipping one up. I told him to make it as short as possible. It should be done any day now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the .338-06. I Love mine. 250gr. Scenars on top of H-4350. </div></div>

+1 on the 338-06. I get 2900fps out of 185gr Barnes TTSX over Varget.

--Rootshot

This thread caught my eye because I am doing the same thing. I retire in three years and I am moving to AK. My main goal is fishing so I will be moving to SE – probably on the big island (POW).

Anyway, I have been gearing up for the last several years and I have bought and sold sever rifles after changing my mind several times. These are the rifles that I ended up with and the ones I will take with.

Marlin 1895 45/70 (Davidson Limited for the pistol grip and Fire Sights) This rifle will mainly be used for bear protection while fishing remote rivers.

Remington XCR TLR in 300 WM. I went this route for two reasons; I wanted the TriNyte coating for living on a very wet salty coast and this rifle is suppressed and the 300 is much cheaper to suppress than the 338. If I weren’t suppressing, I would have gone with the .338WM.

RRA Predator Pursuit .223 suppressed. This rifle will be used for predator hunting.

Remington VersaMax 12ga. For the birds – lots of great bird hunting in AK.

Tactical 10/22 suppressed (not much Ruger left on this rifle). For plinking and little critters.

Walther P22 suppressed. I use this suppressed gun for grouse while big game hunting here in OR. (Yes grouse are legal to shoot with a .22lr here for those who may wonder – hopefully it is legal in AK too)

Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt. For black bear protection while fishing and other activities. There are no brown bears on POW otherwise I may have purchased a Casull.

I don't hunt bears, my father does, he's taken several big grizz with 30-06 and 338WM. I've taken caribou and dall sheep with a .308, it works, wouldn't hesitate to use it on a moose, given the right shot. The most popular rounds in the interior for big game are 300Win, 338Win, 375H&H, 30-06, and 7mmRM. Many people think I'm nuts using the .308.
45-70 is a fine back pack gun for bear protection, I prefer slugs in a 12ga. I wouldn't pick either for hunting anything but bears.
I use a .223 for predator calling, with a 45LC in case the landlord comes in when they're not hibernating yet.
You may and many do hunt grouse/ptarmingon with 22lr.

I'll be in Fairbanks after this deployment and look forward to getting some hunting done there!

Aside from the 44 Mag, I'd also consider the .30-'06, and if I thought more bullet was needed, the .35 Whelen. Again, this is speculation, I've never been to Alaska. My choices are heavily skewed toward chamberinsg that should have a better than average chance of widespread availability.

Greg

the 300 WM is all you will need. Plus when you get in a pinch you can find ammo about anywhere.

And a handgun of course, I would go with a reliable 44mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 win
45-70
22lr </div></div>x2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hard Cast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread caught my eye because I am doing the same thing. I retire in three years and I am moving to AK. My main goal is fishing so I will be moving to SE – probably on the big island (POW).

Anyway, I have been gearing up for the last several years and I have bought and sold sever rifles after changing my mind several times. These are the rifles that I ended up with and the ones I will take with.

Marlin 1895 45/70 (Davidson Limited for the pistol grip and Fire Sights) This rifle will mainly be used for bear protection while fishing remote rivers.

Remington XCR TLR in 300 WM. I went this route for two reasons; I wanted the TriNyte coating for living on a very wet salty coast and this rifle is suppressed and the 300 is much cheaper to suppress than the 338. If I weren’t suppressing, I would have gone with the .338WM.

RRA Predator Pursuit .223 suppressed. This rifle will be used for predator hunting.

Remington VersaMax 12ga. For the birds – lots of great bird hunting in AK.

Tactical 10/22 suppressed (not much Ruger left on this rifle). For plinking and little critters.

Walther P22 suppressed. I use this suppressed gun for grouse while big game hunting here in OR. (Yes grouse are legal to shoot with a .22lr here for those who may wonder – hopefully it is legal in AK too)

Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt. For black bear protection while fishing and other activities. There are no brown bears on POW otherwise I may have purchased a Casull.
</div></div>

You will love POW. Have been hunting / fishing there for nearly 20 years. The deer hunting there is excellent. The mountains there are not particularly high (2-3k feet) but they are steep and wet. The island does have some big black bears but in my experience they could either care less you are there or run like mad away from you. Only rifle I take up there any more is a Kimber Montana in 308. Super light and more than enough for anything on that island. A short boat ride from Whale Pass will get you to Etolin Island where the have a huntable population of elk. There are also wolves on most every island in SE. Get a boat. The best hunting, fishing, beachcombing, and exploring is done by sea.

45.308, Great post. I made the drive during the summer many years ago, nice drive. Personally I would sell one vehicle and travel light. Two spare tires can be handy, at least it was when there was 1,100 miles of dirt. You can always leave one vehicle behind, and sell it later or pick it up the next year. It is a phenomenally long drive, best to share driving time with someone.

If you take the ferry, cost balances out or is less expensive than driving the Alaskan highway.

I am going back up fairly soon, most likely by sailboat. Am bringing:
375 Ruger Alaskan
325 WSM, Win M70
44 mag and/or 454 Casull.
12 Gauge slug gun

yep what he said.......it aint easy. I had a 444 marlin loaded with heavy solids while I was up in Alaska. Remember the largest predators on the earth roam Alaska. I saw a grizzly that was bout as big as a Volkswagen. Do your homework prior. There is a reason it takes a special kind of person to live in Alaska.
It's the most awesome place on earth.!!!!!!!!

P.S. Dont eat a cheeseburger and wipe your hands on your jeans.

I have seen several moose and bear taken quickly, humanely, and without drama by the old 30-06. Solid shot placement and timely followups win the day in my experience.

These are great posts.The info in them is great. no on to the original question. I would pick either the 30.06 or the .300 WM you can't go wrong with either and both are popular and have rounds that you need to get everything done.

Thank goodness I can have more than one... or two... or three... I'd recommend a .22LR or 17HMR, a .223 and a .338WM for a basic battery. Even though that's not what I use
smile.gif

For years and years I used just a 45/70 for big game. I felt a little 'range envy' outside of Kotzebue for 'bou, but sat tight and they came to me.
Most of my moose have been in the thick stuff, and we've had bears huff at us - a 'pre expanded bullet' is a good thing. I've killed moose out to around 150 yards, and could probably do 250 nicely but where I've hunted there just haven't been those kinds of shots presented.
A 22 or 17 is a requirement. A lot of locals are using 17s on ptarmagin and fox. I use a 22LR and have to be a better shot at the longer ranges, but I'm ok with that.
A .223 or a .243 is a good winter gun - easy to find ammo in any village. Good for caribou, fox, wolf, etc. I prefer the .223, since I can download it for fox to get about a k-hornet velocity.
You won't go wrong with a .338 WM. They are everywhere out here. Except in my gun room - go figure. Just gotta be different.
I picked up a .270 WSM this year for 'bou but can't seem to bring myself to take it out - it's just to damned pretty.

So ultimately, do yourself a favor and buy 3 ugly guns that work every time and you'll have a blast.

Regarding the info that 45.308 has posted. I do not suggest you read what he wrote I suggest you print it, then study it, read and reread it. He has put a tremendous amount of excellent information in that post. I have a few very minor differences of opinion but everything he says is good solid info and everything on his equipment list will work very well.

Since you are on the Snipers Hide I am assuming you may have an interest in precision tactical shooting. If I understand your post, you do not reload at this time and are planning to buy a 45-70 anyway and would like a 20”-22” barrel that can be threaded for a suppressor. Another very important thing is you are married.

My recommendation is a 30-06 with a light weight tactical stock and a fluted 20- 22” barrel and a light tactical scope. If you can keep the weight to a max of 9 lbs to 9.5 lbs you will have a rifle that can be competitive for tactical matches that has enough power to hunt anything in Alaska. A 9.5 lbs rifle after you add your suppresser (my gemtech weighs 24 oz) becomes an 11 lbs rifle, a nice weight for a long range tactical match rifle.

2 suggestions for a multipurpose rifle that could be used for winning matches and hunting in Alaska

A GAP Non Typical, with a Manners MCS T-2 or MCS-T3 with the 90% carbon fiber shell.

A Brockman's Universal Hunter with a model 70 controlled feed action and a Manners MCS T-2 or T3 with the 90% carbon fiber shell

Both Brockman and GAP can also build a rifle like that in.308, 300, 338 or 375.

The 30-06 and 45-70 combo is a perfect for Alaska and your wife should be able to handle a 45-70 or a 30-06. Think ahead when you want to buy your 3rd rifle you will have the excuse that since she uses (pick her favorite) one of the 2 rifles you need another rifle. You can then always borrow her rifle if needed and it will probably only cost you a gift of a few flowers or box of candy for her to agree to loan you “her rifle”!!! Works when I want to borrow my wife’s custom fly rod.

The 45-70 is a tremendous cartridge and the Marlin Guide model or SLB are a very handy package. Up close (50 yd or less) using Garrett ammo’s 540-gr Hammerhead at 1550-fps the 45-70 has more knockdown power than any 338 or 375 ever made. It is my first choice for grizzly/brown bear protection. I have gone after quite a few wounded grizzly/brown bear over the last 30+ years guiding. I chose 45-70 over my 375 H&H on occasion because of thick alder that wounded bear like to hold up in. I feel the short fast handling 45-70 is the best tool for the job of following a big pissed off brown bear in a jungle of thick alder and the 45-70 has better range than a shotgun should the bear exit the alder thicket. Guiding fishing clients or on raft trips I like the range of the 45-70 better than a shotgun for bear protection as clients may spread out and are not always next to me.

The 45-70 can be used for hunting Alaska big game using Garrett Ammo with a 350-gr Woodleigh at 2000-fps. 150 yards is not a problem with that combo.

Having a 45-70 as a heavy hitter for up close to medium work along with a 30-06 is in my way of thinking an ideal combo. The 30-06 will handle Sheep, caribou, black bear, goat, deer and moose. Hunting grizzly/brown bear with a 30-06 works but make sure to have proper shot placement and the right bullet. The 30-06 still has good barrel life and reasonable recoil. A 30-06 in a medium weight rifle that is light enough to carry hunting makes a nice precision tactical match rifle.

Having a 45-70 as a heavy hitter for up close work opens up your choices for a hunting rifle.
You could certainly use a .308 for sheep, caribou, black bear, goat and deer and use the same rifle for tactical matches. The .308 is on the light side for moose but it will still get the job done. 308 is to light for grizzly/brown bear The . 308 has the best barrel life and cheapest ammo and since you do not reload that should be a consideration.

The various 300 mags will also fill this niche just fine but if you have a 300 mag light enough to carry hunting it will be punishing on the recoil for match shooting and have 50% the barrel life of a 30-06 and a lot more ammo cost.

338 win mag is the minimum that I let hunting guides that work for me use for guiding grizzly/brown bear clients. The 338 is a fantastic all around choice for Alaska and will work for everything including a guide’s rifle.

375 H&H is my favorite of all the medium bores. I started guiding full time in Alaska in 1978 with a 20” barreled fiberglass stocked pre 64 mod 70 chambered in 375 H&H that weight 6.2 lbs with the peep sights and 7.5 lbs with scope. I used it for everything from brown bear to sheep. As far as I am concerned the 375 does everything better than the .300 or 338 does. The down side is a 375 light enough for a hunting rifle will have way too much recoil for match shooting. In 1987 I tried competing a season with an 8 lbs 375H&H in silhouette matches. Hitting Rams at 500 meters was fun as the 375 forcibly knocked them off the base any time I made a hit. The down side was my scores started to drop during the season and I developed a flinch that took years in to cure.

You started this post considering 30-06, 300wm, and 338. all of them will work well for hunting anything in Alaska.
I also highly recommend that whatever hunting rifle you chose has a set of backup sights on it. Scope failure or brakeage in Alaska is common. Also bring a backup rifle into your spike camp if you can. My records show that 1 out of 17 clients had a rifle failure and needed to borrow one of my spare rifles to finish their hunt.

Stay safe in the sand box and if you ever get to lake Iliamna look me up, we can throw a few rounds down range and I will buy you a piece of pie and a cup of coffee.

Jerry Jacques
Alaska Master Guide #110
Licensed Professional Hunter Africa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will love POW. Have been hunting / fishing there for nearly 20 years. The deer hunting there is excellent. The mountains there are not particularly high (2-3k feet) but they are steep and wet. The island does have some big black bears but in my experience they could either care less you are there or run like mad away from you. Only rifle I take up there any more is a Kimber Montana in 308. Super light and more than enough for anything on that island. A short boat ride from Whale Pass will get you to Etolin Island where the have a huntable population of elk. There are also wolves on most every island in SE. Get a boat. The best hunting, fishing, beachcombing, and exploring is done by sea. </div></div> Thanks for the info. A boat is very important in SE AK for me since my main objective will be fishing. I bought a North River Seahawk and I am in the process of equipping it with some bells and whistles.

I have researched Etolin elk hunting some and have discovered that this is a very difficult hunt. Very few elk are actually taken from the island and I think a year or two ago not even one was harvested per ADFW. I will probably give it a try anyway though
smile.gif

Lots of good information to sort out.
My vote is teh 300WM I have a couple of them. I also have my 270 I carry sometimes Caribou hunting when my friends are with me. He always carries his 338 Ruger. I have a Browning Abolt I love to carry cause its light compared to the Rem Milspec 700.
If you have someone to back ya up it opens up alot of options. When a browine is shot, he'll pinpoint the shot loction 9-10 times. You need put him down.
Like Alaskaguide says it varies.

My friend is also a Bear guide, He guides with a 375 or 416, but hunts with a 300 or 338. Its nice to have friends to count on when it counts.

I also have friends that hunt with 338L. Their last mooose kill was over 700yards, not a typical shot. You just need to prepared to tote a moose..

I carry a 44 Ruger Redhawk fishing, but have 45-70 also.
I'm thinkin I need a 454 casull or the 460 to carry.

YMMV

Unless somebody is paying you $200K Plus to move to Fairbanks, pass it by.

There are many finer places to live in Alaska.

I spent 7 yrs up in AK at FT Greely and Richardson. The do all gun is a toss up between the 30-06, 300 mags and 338. I got addicted to hunting coastal brn bears and opted for a 375 ruger a few years ago. If i stayed away from the big coastal brownines, I would stick with my 308 and hunt all the goat, sheep, blk bear, caribou, griz and sitka deer i could get my scope on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30-06 for EVERYTHING if you reload, my family has taken anywhere from deer to coastal brownies and cape buffalo. My great grand father says a 200-220 gr nosler partition with do the trick or you could try woodleigh fmj- and ppsns</div></div>

This isn't 1938, there are better tools for the job. You could spear them too, but why would ya?

338 Win Mag gets my vote for the go to Alaska caliber.

30-06 and 375 ammo can be purchased just about everywhere I've been in Alaska. Either will serve you well in AK with factory ammo or custom loads.