• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns moving to California

Re: moving to California

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?
You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report, pdf. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah... don't know if you live there are not ... but right now it IS illegal to own an unregistered weapon in Cali. And if you ignore the the gun laws there -- you will go to jail. You need to have passed the weapons test before you can even purchase a weapon.

I escaped from California, I grew up there and sad to say I am a native. many of my friends are LEO's and they are told to take those laws very seriously.

-K</div></div>

I do live California and it is not illegal to own an unregistered handgun. Assault weapons, what ever that means, are illegal to own unless registered prior to 2001.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snapperhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah... don't know if you live there are not ... but right now it IS illegal to own an unregistered weapon in Cali. And if you ignore the the gun laws there -- you will go to jail. You need to have passed the weapons test before you can even purchase a weapon.

I escaped from California, I grew up there and sad to say I am a native. many of my friends are LEO's and they are told to take those laws very seriously.

-K</div></div>

I do live California and it is not illegal to own an unregistered handgun. Assault weapons, what ever that means, are illegal to own unless registered prior to 2001. </div></div>
You need to refer to my previous reply for the PC code and EXACT language from the Kalifornia DOJ's Firearms website. Be very careful when giving someone advice if you are not positive.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs