• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Moving to Colorado Springs in Dec.

want2Baccurate

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hey everyone, I will be moving to Colorado Springs, CO in a few months and was wondering what all is available as far as shooting goes? In my hometown there is a 100yd range that I have access to all year for free, but I was wondering since there is so much open space in CO, are there longer ranges in the Colorado Springs area, as well as other hide members?

Re: Moving to Colorado Springs in Dec.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.rmgo.org/index.php?Itemid=169
Has a good interactive map of ranges.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1707647
A link right in your wheelhouse. </div></div>
thanks for the info. I think I will have to try and post a get together and shoot day when I move. Make it a fun range day with several other shooters.

I'm heading there 6-8 August, will take photos!

Also, want2Baccurate, just outside town there is the Izaac Walton League (Pikes Peak Gun Club), the Frontier Sportsman's club has ranges in Falcon and south of Fountain (and are putting in a 1000 yard range at that one). And there is the Ben Lomond Club which has a really nice complex out at the northeast corner of El Paso County.

The previously mentioned Buena Vista range is about 100 miles due west of the Springs, and you are only 2 1/2 hours north of the NRA's Whittington center. You will not be at a loss for places to shoot

Excellent guys. Thank you very much for the information. I am excited to finally be in an area where the ranges go beyond 100yds. Does the free steel range mentioned above have an area for pistol shooting as well? I like to go out and practice CCW drills, so I will be needing a place to shoot
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard that it does, but I will know for sure after the 8th
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I go down to the DOW range a couple times a month. Lots of steel targets from 200-1015yds. There's three pieces of steel @ 1015yds +/-, 10" gong on a stand, 14"x16" plate hanging from a tree, and the challenging prairie dog. You can drive out to 500yds to hang paper targets.

If you see a guy in a yellow SUV painting the targets, cleaning, that's Bill. He keeps up the place on his own time. If you see him and like the range slide him a couple bucks for paint....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard that it does, but I will know for sure after the 8th
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I go down to the DOW range a couple times a month. Lots of steel targets from 200-1015yds. There's three pieces of steel @ 1015yds +/-, 10" gong on a stand, 14"x16" plate hanging from a tree, and the challenging prairie dog. You can drive out to 500yds to hang paper targets.

If you see a guy in a yellow SUV painting the targets, cleaning, that's Bill. He keeps up the place on his own time. If you see him and like the range slide him a couple bucks for paint.... </div></div>

will do, thank you for the information. Are we allowed to supply our own paint for the targets if we are going to be there a while?

Think I'll do that! Thanks for the heads up.

A prairie dog at 1k? Hell that sounds interesting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: want2Baccurate</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> will do, thank you for the information. Are we allowed to supply our own paint for the targets if we are going to be there a while? </div></div>

Sure, black paint.

Kind of a tradition, newbies to the range hike up to the 1000yd targets and give them a coat of paint if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: want2Baccurate</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> will do, thank you for the information. Are we allowed to supply our own paint for the targets if we are going to be there a while? </div></div>

Sure, black paint.

Kind of a tradition, newbies to the range hike up to the 1000yd targets and give them a coat of paint if needed.

</div></div>
Sounds like a good day to bring some friends lol.

They have pistol and shotgun (skeet/trap?) ranges there as well. I usually bring paint and will touch them up if I get there early enough before others.

So I got back after several days of shooting. I drove out each day as I couldn't find a place to stay for under $100/night. It was a two hour drive each way, but spectacularly beautiful so worth the time.

For those who are unfamiliar, there is a zero range with varying distance target boards out to 85 yards, a pistol/black powder range, and a shotgun range with throwers in addition to the rifle range.

The rifle targets are well thought out with their positioning: for the hunters, there are small, medium, and large game cutouts at hunting ranges (such as an elk at 485 yards), and more difficult targets at extended distances (prairie dog at what I guesstimated to be 1100 yards based on my comeups). Best of all it's free.

At no point were all the firing points taken (IIRC there were nine tables). Everyone who came was courteous, and conscious of range safety.

And it was all free. Hats off to Chaffee county!

2011-08-07_11-16-04_99.jpg

2011-08-07_11-16-38_601.jpg

Soon... and definately NOT soon enough, I will be making a trip out there with some guys that I am trying to throw together for a days outing of shooting in Bueno.

I am working on getting my rifle put together and completed with the parts that I am waiting on, so hopefully it will be soon. I am in need of some trigger time after dealing with the state and going through inspections... sheeez.

Bueno here I come!! BANG... TING!!

DK

The range near Buena Vista (Chaffee County Range) is great. And, if you like to fish, Antero Resevoir and the Arkansas River are right there. I usually drive from the Springs, fish in the morning, shoot all day, fish again in the evening, camp and then do it all over the next day. Makes for a great weekend. Welcome to the Springs.

You know Doc... now THAT sounds like an awesome weekend trip!! I was not aware about the fishing, and wasn't aware about being able to camp out either. Both very interesting pieces of info!!

Too bad that only makes me want to get out there even sooner, so that makes the waiting even tougher... I appreciate it!! LOL!!

DK

My folks live in BV. I was out there yesterday with my Dad to verify dope out to 600 yards.
Great day at the range: ran into KevinU, shot over his Chrony, stretched out to 1015 yards for the first time.
On the way back, stopped to catch 3 Browns on black foam caddis. Overall, a great day to live in Colorado!

If anyone wants to join me, I'm thinking of heading to the DOW range in BV sometime over next weekend (the 24th or 25th)

Hey guys, I wanted to check in since I just moved to the Englewood area. I'm showing that sweet range as about 2 1/2 hrs from me if it's close to Buena Vista.

Pdog, I might be in, especially if you know where we could find some actual prairie dogs too. I'm coming from Idaho where the shootable rodents are normally little "whistle pigs." I'd love to smack a real prarie dog at over 1000 with the .308 or .338! Or just a steal one if they are out of season.

I've had mixed luck with real dogs here in colorado. It takes a LOT of time/driving to find them. More often than not you can't see the towns from roads, as they are small here compared to the ones in the Dakotas, they've been thinned out from various means the last few years. So it's a lot of knocking on doors and asking around, stopping at feed stores or diners, etc. 99% of ranchers are very nice and WANT you to go shoot them. From my limited experience, the towns are small and spooky. But if your down for a day of driving around with the possibility of only getting 20 or so shots apiece, I'd be more than happy to join you. It's still a hell of a lot better than sitting in front of my tv! ha
Who know, we might find the biggest town in the state...

Fair enough Pdog. That might be a fun day this spring. I drove all the way to Grand Junction to go hunt some with my brother in law, and the spot he saw them was desolate the weekend I went.

I might go out to buffalo creek range for their open house next weekend. Free shooting, and I hear it's a pretty spot. Only an hour away too! "Only" said the lad from Idaho!