• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving to Colorado. What do I need to know?

omgtkk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2013
S.E. Pa
So I've accepted a job with the VA in Pueblo and will be moving out there in early April. Can anyone from Colorado tell me what I might need to know before moving there. Of course, I have a selection of Evil Black Rifles along with 30 rnd mags to feed them, plus a few NFA items that I have the proper stamps for.

I've read about "assault weapon" bans in Boulder, but I'll be a few hours south of there. And I know they instituted a hi-cap magazine ban sometime in the past. Other than that, I'm in the dark as to what to expect and plan for.

Any education on the laws out there and advice on where I can shoot long range within reasonable distance of Pueblo would be appreciated. Is shooting allowed on public land? Are there any good clubs or ranges in the Pueblo/ Co Springs area? Thanks in advance for the information

Plan on a radical left wing governor, state house, senate and AG defending your second amendment rights for you.

If you are around Pueblo, check out the Whittington center in Raton NM.

Join RMGO. org, and buy more ammo! ??

Hook up with Hoser (Tom Freeman) @ http://pwsa.us/index.shtml

Events: http://pwsa.us/events.php

They have a good club.

He can point you in the right direction for LR and matches.

Or if you up our way, stop in.

As for the laws, 15 rd mag restrictions. Too soon to tell about where the new Gov and HOUSE/SENATE will go. 100 % chance it won't be to the right.

Thanks. I knew the state was swinging hard to the left. I'll only be there for 5-6 years before retiring and will be moving on to Utah or Idaho at that point.
So, I assume there isn't any grandfathering of the 30 rnd mags I already own. Is it illegal to possess them in the state, or just purchase new ones?
Mile High, I've purchased from you in the past and will stop by when I get the time and will check out both organizations mentioned above.

Hi caps are grandfathered. To date, no known charges that held up in court. Local DA's have charged for the hi cap possession, but they were stacked charges on other "indescretions". The mag charges were dropped, and the more serious charges stuck.

With all that said, some find that carrying with a mag under 15 rds is easier.

SEE: https://lawcenter.giffords.org/large-capacity-ammunition-magazines-in-colorado/

Here is the important part:

A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if they owned the large-capacity magazine on or prior to July 1, 2013, and maintain continuous possession of the magazine.5 When a person charged with illegal possession of a large-capacity magazine claims to fall under this exception, the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove otherwise.6

If the manufacture date of your pmags is before 6/1/2013 they are grandfathered in. However there has been numerous sheriffs around the state stating that they will not enforce the mag ban. I run 25 round 308 pmags and have not had a single issue. Cheyanne Mountain Shooting Complex in the springs is a good one to go to. They hold a monthly match there as well.

Some smaller Colorado gun stores still sell new disassembled 30 round mags, as repair kits. But generally not the big chain stores, as they don't wish to tread into a grey area of the law.

Thank you for all the information. I appreciate it. I already have a good supply of 30 rnd AR magazines, mostly Lancer and P-mag. I'll check the born-on dates of them.
It looks like a 4 hour course is needed prior to applying for a carry permit. I'll set that up as soon as I get settled. When I do carry, it's usually a Sig p365 or a Kahr ad both are under 15 rounds. The 2 handguns i have that hold more than 15 are range queens.
Are the carry permit courses easy to find and is CO a "shall issue" state, or is it at the discretion of local LE?

Welcome to the resistance!

Careful. Pueblo proper has a lot of gangs and a huge drug problem (heroin). A good friend is from there and has experience.
Also a lot of great stuff and very pretty. Just feel you should know both sides.

That just adds to stuff, best to know and keep your head on a swivel.
Working in healthcare I have been approached more than a few times and pressured to obtain or sell opiates and /or benzos.
I informed the police. They were very encouraging of more range time and a CCW. Still friends with those guys 15 yrs later.

A lot of my mags dont have a “born date” anymore......

You may have your 4 hours of training covered already, if you have the class diploma for said instruction. The majority of sheriffs in the state will gladly help you with your CHL permit.

Reactions: Foul Mike
If the manufacture date of your pmags is before 6/1/2013 they are grandfathered in. However there has been numerous sheriffs around the state stating that they will not enforce the mag ban. I run 25 round 308 pmags and have not had a single issue. Cheyanne Mountain Shooting Complex in the springs is a good one to go to. They hold a monthly match there as well.

Cheyenne is a good place for shooting out to 1k.

Another note, i need to get off my ass after this semester is over and do that competition shooting.

I’ve been here four years now and not once have been asked or bothered by anyone for having standard capacity mags at any of the ranges I’ve been to.

It’s nice to see someone come in and help offset all the liberals that have been flocking here.

Reactions: Foul Mike
This may be stating the obvious, but: If you were not a resident of the state prior to a ban, you do not qualify under grandfather statutes.
At least, that was what I found when moving into other blue state hell holes..

This may be stating the obvious, but: If you were not a resident of the state prior to a ban, you do not qualify under grandfather statutes.
At least, that was what I found when moving into other blue state hell holes..
Well fuck-em!!!
Accorded to my research, Colorado has an exeption for "tourists". Well since OP has stated he is not making Colorado a permanent destination then I would think he is golden.

Check out the MEDAL OF HONOR museum in Pueblo, very cool.
Also the train station is well worth walking through.

Reactions: abn31c
Colorado, where it's now legal to shit and piss on the sidewalk in Denver. Don't you just love the Lib's. It Is Now Legal To Defecate And Urinate On Denver Sidewalks

Last edited:
Reactions: Strykervet
Never heard of someone being prosecuted for 2013 gun laws in CO in the absence of another crime. I think you're good so long as you don't rob a bank with a standard capacity mag. Interpret that is you will, OP.

You are asking us to give you legal advice on unenforced laws in a forum that is likely weary of being pursued of legal action in hypothetical scenarios that have yet to exist. You will not get absolutes. Use your intuition. The CO Sheriffs association can fill you in on this if you want a confidence boost.

Lotsa good matches right there in Pueblo and another one 30 minutes north at Ft. Carson.

https://www.ar-15.co/forums/114-Shooting-Sports-and-Events

For a rifle shooter, there's long range precision at Pueblo on the 3rd Saturday. Max range is 600. The Ft. Carson Match is...crap, now I forget when it is. Max range there is roughly 1,100. We also shoot a couple of precision .22 matches. They are listed on the link provided. Starting back up in the spring there is also a tactical rifle match on the 4th Sunday, IIRC. It's a run an gun match, super fun.

The Colorado rifle scene is fantastic. Lots of participation, and lots and lots of good guys. If you like banter, smack talk, and jaw jackin, you'll fit right in.

I lived in Pueblo West for years, I suggest that's where you look for housing the crime rate in Pueblo and CO Springs is terrible. Or head east toward La Hunta. There are a few shooting ranges, you will have to get on a waiting list. You can shoot as far as you want out on the grasslands, but as far as public land shooting out too long range its about a 90 mile drive. There are lots of places to shoot 100 or 200 yards basically any BLM land that would be closer. I would suggest carrying, I-25 is a major drug corridor and the VA is right in the shit.

Reactions: Rthur
Lotsa good matches right there in Pueblo and another one 30 minutes north at Ft. Carson.

https://www.ar-15.co/forums/114-Shooting-Sports-and-Events

For a rifle shooter, there's long range precision at Pueblo on the 3rd Saturday. Max range is 600. The Ft. Carson Match is...crap, now I forget when it is. Max range there is roughly 1,100. We also shoot a couple of precision .22 matches. They are listed on the link provided. Starting back up in the spring there is also a tactical rifle match on the 4th Sunday, IIRC. It's a run an gun match, super fun.

The Colorado rifle scene is fantastic. Lots of participation, and lots and lots of good guys. If you like banter, smack talk, and jaw jackin, you'll fit right in.

Thanks for the link Tim. I'll get involved with that forum and hopefully make some good connections.

I lived in Pueblo West for years, I suggest that's where you look for housing the crime rate in Pueblo and CO Springs is terrible. Or head east toward La Hunta. There are a few shooting ranges, you will have to get on a waiting list. You can shoot as far as you want out on the grasslands, but as far as public land shooting out too long range its about a 90 mile drive. There are lots of places to shoot 100 or 200 yards basically any BLM land that would be closer. I would suggest carrying, I-25 is a major drug corridor and the VA is right in the shit.

Caveman, thanks for the advice. I am looking along Rt 50 from Canon city eastward. I'll check into LaHunta. The other advice is well received

Stay outta Wyoming. Nothing here.

Cept old goat “ropers” with a greying goatee.......,

You think we didnt save that pic for someone to photoshop someday?.....?

The magpul mags have some circular thing on them that IIRC has a code about when made.

I know it currently hasnt been prosecuted, though we have a new rotten puke in the gov mansion with a leftist AG who is out to make a name. Always good to have a plan.

Don't blame me, I voted for the other guys.

Colorado, where it's now legal to shit and piss on the sidewalk in Denver. Don't you just love the Lib's. It Is Now Legal To Defecate And Urinate On Denver Sidewalks

Feelgood legislation at it's best! Fighting for the little guy!

Can you imagine stepping in wormy and infected bloody human shit, then seeing a crusty fucker ten feet away, laughing at you sitting in his grungy sleeping bag surrounded by garbage, noticing a trail, and realizing it's his? How'd you handle that? Human shit is the worst too. Pissing and shitting where you eat. Wow.

What about if your little kid in sandals stepped in it practically barefoot going out to the car? What if it got into a cut? What if it got in your car? Maybe ultimately wound up in your carpet where the baby plays? Bloody, parasite and pathogen infected, wormy bum shit. Illegal alien bum shit with imported pathogens and worms! Because you're a "sanctuary city" too, right?

Not to mention the piss smell, goddamn. Rinse all this into the water and you guys are no-shit marking time to your first Cholera outbreak, huh? Beware the clear and white jelly or rice water looking bum shit and vomit, that's Cholera. Rice on regular shit though is just worm infections or tapeworm segments. You guys are gonna be hurting during a severe drought and water shortage.

You really need to find the addresses of all the assholes responsible for this and just go shit piles on the sidewalks in front of their house. Keep doing it. It's legal, remember? Property value goes to shit, neighbors alone will fix it for you. Sometimes you gotta get active. Fucking with you is their full time job and no accountability or blowback makes them complacent with enacting far out shit like this. Because they know you'll take it and won't do anything.

Is it you guys or Portland that's paying a huge salary with benefits to clean human shit off the sidewalks?

People are just now starting to stand up against these mag and rifle bans in some places. Mass disobedience and turning the tables is how we do this. In your case it may require a bit of shit slinging. Either way, make it happen!

Feelgood legislation at it's best! Fighting for the little guy!

Can you imagine stepping in wormy and infected bloody human shit, then seeing a crusty fucker ten feet away, laughing at you sitting in his grungy sleeping bag surrounded by garbage, noticing a trail, and realizing it's his? How'd you handle that? Human shit is the worst too. Pissing and shitting where you eat. Wow.

What about if your little kid in sandals stepped in it practically barefoot going out to the car? What if it got into a cut? What if it got in your car? Maybe ultimately wound up in your carpet where the baby plays? Bloody, parasite and pathogen infected, wormy bum shit. Illegal alien bum shit with imported pathogens and worms! Because you're a "sanctuary city" too, right?

Not to mention the piss smell, goddamn. Rinse all this into the water and you guys are no-shit marking time to your first Cholera outbreak, huh? Beware the clear and white jelly or rice water looking bum shit and vomit, that's Cholera. Rice on regular shit though is just worm infections or tapeworm segments. You guys are gonna be hurting during a severe drought and water shortage.

You really need to find the addresses of all the assholes responsible for this and just go shit piles on the sidewalks in front of their house. Keep doing it. It's legal, remember? Property value goes to shit, neighbors alone will fix it for you. Sometimes you gotta get active. Fucking with you is their full time job and no accountability or blowback makes them complacent with enacting far out shit like this. Because they know you'll take it and won't do anything.

Is it you guys or Portland that's paying a huge salary with benefits to clean human shit off the sidewalks?

People are just now starting to stand up against these mag and rifle bans in some places. Mass disobedience and turning the tables is how we do this. In your case it may require a bit of shit slinging. Either way, make it happen!

Unfuckingbelievable, huh... Colorado is the new California.

I know it's done past a bit of time...but here it is...

Something about this new fangled machinery they call a COM-PU-TER. A little research does wonders.
Legislation was changed, but neither pissing nor dumping in public in Denver has ever been legalized.
Huh...Talk about fake news!

§ 38-99. Urinating or defecating in public
Code 1950, § 841.7; Ord. No. 513-17, § 6, 5-22-17
It shall be unlawful for any person to urinate or defecate in any public way or place which is public in nature or any place open to the public view.
(http://denver-co.elaws.us/code/coor_ch38_artiv_div1_sec38-99) as of 1 March 2020

images (14).jpeg

No offense but Pueblo would definitely be one of the last places on my list of places to live in this beautiful state - like other folks mentioned the crime rate is pretty bad. On the upside you won't be too far from some really nice mountain areas, the Great Sand Dunes, and only about 90 minutes away from the NRA Whittington Center which is one of the best places to shoot in the country. Thanks for doing a service for our vets at the VA though!

If you like shooting long range field style matches, Raton is 2-hours away, and they host the Sporting Rifle Match first Sunday of every month. Awesome match, and usually sells out within a couple days.

As far as Pueblo, don't keep anything valuable in your vehicle, especially overnight, as it will be stolen. Lots of vehicles are broken into in Pueblo, and stripped of anything valuable.

My 28 year old daughter moved out there and she's about as middle of the road politically speaking. She could only stay there for 2 years and had to move back to Maryland. Does that give you an idea as to how liberal that state has leaned. Sure there are good and bad with any state, but to move back to Maryland, WOW.

Now mind you, this had nothing to do with gun laws, this was just quality of life issues.

For the folks that live there, maybe she just had a bad experience and if you're happy there, I'm sorry for dissing your state.