• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving to Connecticut

azred33

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2017
Scottsdale Az
I have looked and don't see much opportunity for long range shooting in Connecticut. Anyone have any info on that. Also, I have a 300 BO SBR and haven't found anything that indicates it can be made state legal. Guessing it stays behind. Any insight about shooting in CT is appriciated.

Where are you moving to in CT?

There aren't many outdoor ranges past 200 or 300 yards let alone ELR spots.

My dad and I go to Wooster Mountain in Danbury but I think thats like 50 or 75 yards and it's close to his house.

Shooting on your own land, depending on where, is legal. We have a cottage in North Stonington on 5 acres, and it's legal to shoot there, when my mom is ok with the noise lol.

I think if you build an AOW lower, you could have that in CT, so that might be a way to have your 300 BO. At least that was the case a few years back.

CT may have stopped transferring pre-ban lowers, but that's another route to check.

If you live near the NY border, be careful about having guns in the car and crossing over which is very easy, as NY likes to arrest people with guns in the car.

Scott

Reactions: BCX
depending where you live you have Sheepdog Warrior in Catskill NY that can reach a mile or so

Granby Bow and Gun Club in MA goes out to 1k

other than that...buy a bunch of land

Reactions: BCX
Forbes just outside of Albany goes to 1k. A few 600 yard ranges around NE. Hardly qualify as ELR but it's still trigger time.

Forbes is hit and miss. Your best option is come shoot at Sheepdog in Catskill NY. We welcome new members!

For the 300 BO, you’ll have to get an “other” lower. Then put a grip on the rail to constitute it as an “other”. Real stupid. Let me know where your going and I can recommend an FFL that can help get you squared away

Thanks for the replies.

We will be going to Colchester and it looks like I drive a couple of hours to Sheepdog for the mile or an hour to Grandby if 1k will do. I have 3 acres in Colchester, I will check the local laws, maybe I can set up a pistol range?

I had read about modifying an AR style lower with a kit to make the magazine non-removable and if I added a barrel to get it over 30 inches length it seemed to meet requirements, but based on your comments, it seems only "other lower" is the answer. Good news is suppressors and long guns seem to be OK. I don't see any requirement for handguns other than max 10 count magazine.

Again, thanks for the help, I called the state police but got some pretty odd answers and figured here would be a better source of advice.

also, To run a suppressor on a handgun, the handgun must be preban, so no threaded barrels on newer pistols. Early Glocks and other pre 1994 AWB pistols are more valuable in CT

Scott