• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving to TEXAS

BlueStateCaptive

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2010
Livingston County, NY
I will be moving to Texas from liberal New York. I will be transfering to the General Motors Arlington assembly plant. I have a few questions for you Texans.
First (the obvious) what do I need to do to get my full auto license? How long does this usually take?
2) Can I carry concealed in Texas?
3) Any good gun ranges or clubs? Rifle, long distance capable
4) I see that most homes are built on small lots. How far from Arlongton would I have to travel to buy a house that has a couple acres to it?
I'm sure I will come up with more but lets start with this

Eric

Re: Moving to TEXAS

I don't know about Arlington specifically, but I can answer your other two questions...

1) You don't need a license to own a fully automatic weapon. You need only pay a $200 transfer fee to the ATF (per NFA-regulated item) and wait a long time for that transfer to make its way through the NFA branch. That transfer involves filling out a lot of forms and either getting fingerprinted and getting a signature from the local police chief of your jurisdiction OR the formation of a trust that will own the firearm. Google NFA or National Firearms Act.

2) Yes, you can. It's actually easier to get a machine gun, in that the requirements are the same (fingerprints, long wait) plus they throw in that you have to take a DPS-approved class and qualify at the range. See:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

Welcome to the Republic!

First (the obvious) what do I need to do to get my full auto license? How long does this usually take?

Same as previous post. Download the NFA hand book.

2) Can I carry concealed in Texas?

Yes, but will need a CHL for anything other than traveling. Go here for info: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

3) Any good gun ranges or clubs? Rifle, long distance capable

Don't know of any in that area, but I frequent Camp Bullis a lot, in San Antonio...as well as ranges on Ft.Hood.

4) I see that most homes are built on small lots. How far from Arlongton would I have to travel to buy a house that has a couple acres to it?

20 to 45 minutes. Dallas/Arlington area is fucking huge.

If I HAD to live in North Texas :)D), I would start and stop with Fort Worth.

No idea on the ranges...TCU wouldn't allow me a storage space for my rifles.

Welcome to the Republic.

Arlington is a shit hole, work there, live someplace else, and have a backup plan because there always on the news as a possible shutdown. This summer is going to suck big time, next winter you'll wonder why you waited so long to move, kiss basements goodbye, and don't buy a two story unless you like paying big electric bills to cool it. As others have said, pay the 200 dollar tax, and any goodie is yours, WELCOME TO THE PROMISE LAND!

Definately get a back up plan or job lined up. They had a few month long furloughs IIRC along with layoffs.

The full auto has been addressed.

The carry concealed has been addressed.

There are a few ranges around the metroplex. The closest to Arlington is probably Alpine Gun Range or the short distance indoor range at Winchester. You have the Elm Fork Shooting Range on the Dallas border. Within a 30 minute drive you can venture out into the country and get acreage.
I live in Arlington and can't wait to move, but I have to live within a 25 mile radius of Downtown Dallas. It is my recommendation to NOT live in Arlington.

So based on the above link, I could carry my pistol in Texas. I have a concealed carry permit for New York. I also have a Utah permit.
Now I gotta find a place to buy a house with a little room to breath and good schools for our 16 and 6 y.o.

Very jealous of you. Born and raised in CA and looks like I will be here for quite a while. Good luck on your move!

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Always a handy link.
smile.gif

If you get your CHL here you can carry concealed on your person.
I don't know how much room you are looking for or what type of traveling distance/time either. Where the plant is off Hwy 360 it is congested during rush hour, but not too bad. I live in S. Arlington just outside of Mansfield. Their schools are suppose to be great, crime is low in that community compared to other cities, but getting acreage will cost you. There are some nice areas within Arlington, but like I said, I can't wait to get out of here.
Aside from acreage and considering where you'll work I'd look there, perhaps Flower Mound, Southlake, Coppell for nice suburb cities. There is Waxahachie, Midlothian, Red Oak and Ovila (all South of Dallas) for acreage out east within a reasonable drive.
I'd also look out West by Weatherford or South of Ft Worth which is with reason.

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/ this a good place to go shoot and go to some of the classes. About an hour or so from Fort Worth.

Houses are pretty cheap and easy to buy, but no basements.

And some neighborhoods are so close together that you can lean back on the side of your house and piss on your neighbor’s house without moving.

Take a look at Keller. Its on the west side....nice schools, new builds for the most part. And 10 minutes away is the country and probably 3 or so ranges.

Most of the issues have been addressed, I'll cover location. The real estate market all depends on money. 1-2 acres in Southlake will run you $275-300,000 per acre, no house, 20-25 minute commute. 1-2 acres in Flowermound, $175-200k per acre, add 10 more minutes, 30-35 minute commute. Alot further south, 1-2 acres will cost $15-20K per acre, maybe an hour commute.

GM is off Hwy 360, south of I30, I'd look further south of Mansfield, which I think is a s***hole. Commuting north in the morning on Hwy 360 is alot more congested than south. But GM has shifts?? If so, that could really open up your options.

Good luck, and remember the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee

our two biggest fears is a Mexican with a knife and a Yankee with a U-Haul.

Move to Mansfield. 40 minutes to GM during traffic. 20 w/o. Excellent schools also. Arlington Sportsmans Club is awesome. Private and small. I can sponsor you if you like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a Yankee with a U-Haul. </div></div>

Thank God I used a Ryder truck if not I would be offended!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">our two biggest fears is a Mexican with a knife and a Yankee with a U-Haul. </div></div>Thats some funny s..t!