• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Moving up from .308 to a 300 WIN MAG.

1rocky1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
www.purekustomholsters.com
Is that to much of a jump? I have been looking for a 1000 yard match rifle. Was thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor or a .260 But this one kind of fell into my lap. It's a Remington 700 5R 26" in 300 Win Mag.

What are the pro's and con's of the 300 Win Mag?

Re: Moving up from .308 to a 300 WIN MAG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PureKustomInc.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the pro's and con's of the 300 Win Mag? </div></div>

Pro's:
energy on target

Con's:
Cost
Recoil

What kind match format are you wishing to use it in?

The .264's will match just about anything the 300 can do except for energy on target and be easier on the wallet and shoulder. That’s the reason they are popular. But that’s a moot point since it already landed in your lap.
wink.gif

Shoot it and enjoy it.

1000 yard F class Prone. I actually am trading for it. I get it tomorrow. It's nice when I can trade for it. Instead of cash.
smile.gif
But I'm a little concerned about the recoil. 80 shots with sighter's might be a bit much.

I already know I'm going to have to start reloading because the cost is a lot more than .308's

300 Win Mag is a barrel burner. during a match you are going to have to deal with a shit load of barrel mirage. You'll be burning around 75 grains of powder each shot and thats a heck of a lot of heat that has to go somewhere.

the 6.5mm cartridge line is much more reasonable for match shooting. 260 Rem/6.5 Creed/6.5x47 Lapua will be a lot better and last much longer than a .300 Win Mag.

However, the 300 win mag does make a heck of a lot bigger splash at long range than the 6.5's do.

Add as much weight as you can to it and get a good recoil pad, both will help tame the beast, still wont be like your 308 but it will help.

I love my 300 but expensive to shoot but if you plan on doing any hunting buy the 300. If you r only shooting comps or for fun buy the 260 essentially identical ballistics with out the energy, recoil,wheight. Etc...

Thanks Guys, I heard that I can load down a little to help recoil and help barrel life. Is that true or false? One of the very first things I heard about the 300 win mag was that it eats barrels BIG TIME!!!! If it turns out to be a bit much for match's. It would be a good desert fun gun.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you find it to be too much for you. You can down load it by moving to a faster powder but you will still be burning a lot of powder also beware that doing so can make finding a good load at distance more difficult. I have Zero experience with the win mag so someone else will have to weigh in there.

When it’s time to rebarrel consider having it made into a short mag, like the 7mm WSM or SAUM. You will get the same or better ballistics with a lighter weight bullet while burning about a third less powder, cutting back recoil at the same time. No further mods other than a new barrel should needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard that I can load down a little to help recoil and help barrel life. Is that true or false?</div></div>

You can, but then you’re losing the only advantage the WM has over the .308, velocity.

I was in your same position 2 years ago. i LOVE my 308, but its just not a 1,000yard caliber to me. I saw an opprutunity to buy a R700 XCR 300WM for a killer deal and i took it. First shot, I loved the big boom, but honestly by the 5th shot, i was already flinching some cause the recoil really is alot, couple that with the higher cost of ammo (even reloading when you get less than 100 round per pound of powder) it adds up quickly. I was used to sitting down with my 308, and sending 100 round down range in a session with no problem. I shoot my 308 way more still, but am building a .260 Rem now. I still own my 300WM, and its fun to shoot a few times but no chance I could use it in a match. I honestly highly suggest looking at the ballistic equal of the .260Rem

here are some other considerations that you may want to look at.

7mm short mags...less recoil and much flatter than the 300 win mag. Have to reload for these if plannign to shoot them in matches.

300WSM...not quite the ballistics of the 300 win mag but plenty of gun for well over 1000yds and shooting 65-68 grains of powder instead of 71 plus in the 300 win mag

or as mentioned above go with a non magnum and a 6.5 which with the right bullet and powder combination has the same if not better ballistics to 1000 than some 300 win mag loads. and you will have better barrel life and less recoil. also, if you chose to go 260 you can use your 308 brass by necking it down if you reload.

just some ideas for you to consider.

300 win mag is an awesome caliber so if that is your choice it certainly isn't a bad one! just trying to help think it through before you make the plunge

Nothing wrong with the 300 WM if you need all of that energy. The recoil is easy to tame with a good break, however, the barrel gets red hot after 6 to 8 rounds. The barrel life is shorter if shooting long strings. The cost to shoot it is more. As for loading lighter for it, I would think that this would defeat the purpose of having a 300 WM. Besides, once you have your load, and write up a card for your rifle, you pretty much have to use it. Use a handicap 300 WM, while the guy next to you blows by you with a hot 260??? Not me.

By now you think I don't like the 300 WM. Not true, I have one, but unless I'm going somewhere that I can shoot at long ranges, at a slow pace, it stays in the safe. I also have had the parts for a 338 LM for over 2 years, and I haven't build it yet because I just don't have a place worthy of burning that kind of powder.

I honestly like the 6.5 calibers, and the good old 308 for most of my shooting. The Creedmore is my favorite of all, and the 260 right behind it. I have the 6.5x47 Lapua also, but will soon sell it to make a little room.

Remember, these are my personal thoughts only, and I'm by no means an expert. I'm only tring to share what I have experienced with what I have.

Best of luck.

I built a custom 300 win a few months after building my 308. Thank you Mark at Raven!
I love it. With a heavy 26" barrel and a Vais brake it is maybe lighter recoil than my 308.
Load a 230 gr Berger long and tell me that isn't a beautiful round.
And it hits hard.
Plus, it is a belted MAGNUM!

There may be better calibers if you are using it exclusively for 1,000 yard matches. Talk to guys who shoot them or go to 6mmbr.com - otherwise unlike the .308 - the 300 win mag is a true 1,000 yard gun.

It is rough on the barrel, high pressure, heavy recoil. But a real blaster with the heft to reach 1k with ease.

Having a muzzle break will help reduce recoil by quite a bit --are they legal in competition?

I think you will enjoy the gun. I was going to buy a 300 win mag to shoot out to 1k and beyond and went with the .338LM instead. But the 300 win mag is an excellent choice for the 1k range -- and beyond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patriot Prepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Having a muzzle break will help reduce recoil by quite a bit --are they legal in competition?

</div></div>

Not in F class shooting.

This is the second 300WM thread I've seen in the last couple of weeks. Unless you want the on target energy for hunting I would pass and get something else to punch paper.

That's a horrible caliber choice for an F-class rifle. As was mentioned above, you can't have a muzzle brake in F-class. Recoil is a fun thing sometimes but when you're trying to be as accurate as possible during long strings, it's going to annoy you. The barrel will heat up quickly and you will deal with a ton of mirage. It's a fantastic hunting caliber or long range caliber when the energy it transfers makes a difference but when just punching holes through paper on a square range, you'll wish you had something else.

I have the exact gun you are considering. The barrel is not thick enough for comps. It's so hot after 5 shots you can't touch it. I got mine for shooting deer and elk, a 208 amax at 2900 is bad juju.

The 300 WM has taken more than 1 ASC trophy. I do not consider it too heavy of a recoil to use without a brake when shot out of a tactical weight rifle. Some matches, including ours are considering or have implemented no mag rules these days with the severe damage we are seeing with folks upping velocity with barrel length and powders. A couple of things to consider. I personally love the calbier for shooting steel over a grand though. Something in a 24-26" barrel AMU contour would not need the brake IMHO.

I love my 300wm. It has hardly any recoil with The Badger FTE brake and heavy barrel, it also Loves Berger 210gr VLDs" good for having enuff energy to deal with that rabbid insane killer prairie dog that might charge you from 800 yards away"!!!