• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA Barrel Tuner

Load of crap , its far too light and the weight is behind the muzzle so would suggest to be marginally effective at best

Have been designing ,building and shooting all sorts of barrel tuners for a decade and most pack far more weight and more adjustment compared to this one. Shorter the barrel heavier the tuner needs to be. But honestly i wouldn't use a tuner on any practical type shooting
Erik Cortina is mostly in F class game and barrels are pushing 30-32 inches and guns are hitting the weight limits for the class hence tiny tuners, expect to see some on ELR guns sooner than later.

If you wanted something kinda effective it would have to be something along these lines with weight up front
14_00h16_23.jpg

http://www.varmintal.com/aeste.htm
e1-bare-movie.gif

e4-weight-center-movie.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: echo6tango
Thanks for the info. This is all pretty interesting information. I don't plan on getting one for my rifle since I already found a really good load. Just wanted to see what other people's opinion were on it.

I like to see innovation, but it looks like this is in the “factory ammo” division. I don’t see a need for this if the load is properly tuned.

Tuners are not effective enough to tune mismatched factory ammo ,they are used with already finely tuned ammo in very accurate rifles , its hard to tune rifle that is not accurate as the tuner induced changes are just too small to call what is really going on .

Last edited:
Tuners are not effective enough to tune mismatched factory ammo ,they are used with already finely tuned ammo in very accurate rifles , its hard to tune rifle that is not accurate as the tuner induced changes are just too small to call what is really going on .

I can unequivocally tell you that you can use this tuner to reign in factory loads. At least for PRS purposes.

Have consistently been able to bring moa or barely sub moa factory ammo in rifles to under .5moa.

Not to mention, you can watch the video Paul made of his groups changing dramatically using the tuner.

I have observed similar results with my loads. Without adjusting seating depth, I’m able to dial from .5-.6 down to .2/.3.

This has been repeatable enough I no longer mess with seating depth for prs loading. Use chrono to find powder node, seat .020 off lands. Adjust tuner to bring it into .2/.3, done. Every few hundred rounds, load a few a bit longer and see if I need to adjust my BTO length for throat erosion.

Again, this is for practical shooting. Which is what MPA (and this forum) mainly focuses on.

Usually takes a little longer. But here is a couple examples with this specific tuner:

Attachments

• 80882844-9DAC-4707-B3AA-9C408DE6FABD.png
    80882844-9DAC-4707-B3AA-9C408DE6FABD.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
  • A7F68E98-D443-48C3-AAEB-1D66847B6DEE.png
    A7F68E98-D443-48C3-AAEB-1D66847B6DEE.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
Anyone have any recommendations for a tuner for a 308 Ruger RPR? I have to shoot GFMM 168s per department policy and would love to tighten them up a bit.

Watched a couple of great videos on the EC Tuner. It's definitely on the list to get one.

Phil has been running one for a while. I’m sure it’s well thought out.

I don’t really have a way to get my barrel turned again. Can the kinetic tuner be put on my regular thread and then my brake? That’s what it sounds like, just wanted to check.

I don’t really have a way to get my barrel turned again. Can the kinetic tuner be put on my regular thread and then my brake? That’s what it sounds like, just wanted to check.
Yes it's that simple.
I've got 3 barrels threaded 5/8-24 including my Carbon6 that I can switch between without any machining.
I've got a 17 hmr that's threaded 1/2-28 with a 5/8-24 adapter that I can also use it on.
Brake,Suppressor,Thread protector they all fit and work fine.

yup. that's the advantage.

can use it with any brake or can. and uses regular threads.

The new EC tuner brake might be the closest to ideal tuner brake.

EC tuner brake is one of the first muzzle brakes i have seen to actually move the tuning weight past the muzzle, only limitation might be if its heavy enough given it same diameter as the brake and has minimal adjustment range.

https://erikcortina.com/shop/ols/products/ec-tuner-brake-ss-65mm

The weight is a bit light for heavier contour barrels.

The original posted in this thread absolutely changes my group sizes. This brake didn’t.

The original posted in this thread absolutely changes my group sizes. This brake didn’t.
How much does the EC tuner weigh ?
I don't recall seeing it posted anywhere.

Was expecting as much as its looking light for barrel contours used these days in precision rifles.

My experiments in the past were almost 3x as heavy and with much more adjustment range.

In Rimfires we go up to 350g on tuners on Centerfire BR its typically around 110-150g and most have weight past the muzzle. Longer the barrel lighter the tuner, same for thiner contours. In centerfires , folks sometimes bore the muzzle back more than an inch to get a more effective tune.
Some of use like to play with PRX formula to determine the tuner length and opening or muzzle backbore length, tailoring the tuner length to bore and barrel length.I personally had quite some success with theTony Purdy's PRX formula applied to my tuners.

The new EC tuner brake might be the closest to ideal tuner brake.

EC tuner brake is one of the first muzzle brakes i have seen to actually move the tuning weight past the muzzle, only limitation might be if its heavy enough given it same diameter as the brake and has minimal adjustment range.

https://erikcortina.com/shop/ols/products/ec-tuner-brake-ss-65mm
Someone gets it.... not to mention it actually looks clean on the barrel.

And if the weight doesn't make a change, I'd try testing at longer ranges then 100yds/m. I run tuners on my other rifles, I would NEVER test it at 100yds/m. Its positively compensates for that distance then ONLY and it's very easy to get either unlucky or lucky with groups at short range.

Last edited:

And if the weight doesn't make a change, I'd try testing at longer ranges then 100yds/m. I run tuners on my other rifles, I would NEVER test it at 100yds/m. Its positively compensates for that distance then ONLY and it's very easy to get either unlucky or lucky with groups at short range.
That was my concern as well as unlike in rimfire tuners where tuner is tuned to exact distance in centerfire shooting distances are far beyond the 'tuned distance' so most folks might never realize tuner potential. Definitely best if you can tune it at longer range to get more practical result.

Reactions: Quickoz

The issue with this in a prs/nrl setting, is we don’t know what the ranges will be. If for example you know going in that you have a kyl at 600 yds, then you positively compensate via tuner for 600yds.

For prs/nrl, tuners make much more sense as a replacement for seating depth or to tune factory ammo.

If you utilize it to make a .3moa group at 100, it won’t magically open up at 1k unless your velocity ES is wide enough. And we shoot targets large enough that ES would be huge.

So, there are issues using a tuner like you would at a 1k F class match.....for prs. The main issue would be more work for nothing (unless as mentioned above, you knew an important range).

But you definitely know that it's not going to be 100y , so more than anything it's down to what you can test depending on the range available and conditions enabling it. In any case, if it's not grouping at 100y it will not magically group better at 600y

The issue with this in a prs/nrl setting, is we don’t know what the ranges will be. If for example you know going in that you have a kyl at 600 yds, then you positively compensate via tuner for 600yds.

For prs/nrl, tuners make much more sense as a replacement for seating depth or to tune factory ammo.

If you utilize it to make a .3moa group at 100, it won’t magically open up at 1k unless your velocity ES is wide enough. And we shoot targets large enough that ES would be huge.

So, there are issues using a tuner like you would at a 1k F class match.....for prs. The main issue would be more work for nothing (unless as mentioned above, you knew an important range).
But then wouldnt you test at as far as distance as your able to cover the bases? You would know based on location and alike what distances you could be shooting out too. So test as far as your able. If you can only test at 100 then fine. But if you test at 100 and you have access to 500, then wouldnt one test at 500 to get optimum results. Not to mention confidence in the system and tune up which is half the battle usually.

I dont worry much about seating depth as long as ignition is consistant. Thats when I change it. Tuner or no tuner.

I dont see tuning beyond what is needed for competition as being a bad thing provided one does it right. I'd rather have less vertical dispersion as far as I can shoot and the tightest gun possible to give me more leeway with my wind calls.

That was my concern as well as unlike in rimfire tuners where tuner is tuned to exact distance in centerfire shooting distances are far beyond the 'tuned distance' so most folks might never realize tuner potential. Definitely best if you can tune it at longer range to get more practical result.
I certainly agree. I compete out to 1000yds, I tune as far as Im able. Usually 800m/900yds. This has served very well.

Im looking towards a tuner brake for my varmint rifle, that will get dialed in at 500m as thats the max diatance I plan on shooting it too. But it would still hold good accuracy out further.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Total weight of the device is good for determining the dampening affect but weight of the actual tuner is what’s important. Do they list tuner weight or just device weight?

Listed EC tuner weights

Normal tuner is about 6oz
The one on the brake is 1.75oz

Reactions: rydah
I was at a 1,000 yard F class match last year. Was paired with one of the best national F open shooters. They say you are supposed to tune seating depth and tuner and leave it alone. During sighters I watched him twist it here and there and go from a 9, high 10, low 10 and to XXX, then shot for record. I was sold.

Bought one, threaded barrel and start testing soon.

Reactions: Quickoz