• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mpa chamber throat for ELD

ssteve

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but I’m kicking around an mpa rifle and see they list on the barrel “chamber throat: Hornady eld”. How does this affect accuracy and ability to shoot other rounds? I have recently got addicted to reloading and like the trial and error of finding a load for my rifle and don’t want to marry myself to one projectile.

There are lots of eld’s from 73-285 grains, and calibers 22 through 338. There must be more info they give. What cartridge?

There are lots of eld’s from 73-285 grains, and calibers 22 through 338. There must be more info they give. What cartridge?

Sorry it’s for the 6.5cm so it’s for the 140gr eld. I don’t mind the idea behind running the eld but would like to be able to run some Bergerac and others for hunting possibly.

There’s enough neck on a creedmoor and enough room in the magazine that there’s quite a bit of wiggle room to load both near the lands. I’ve run Bergers and eld’s interchangibly in a Saami chamber which is .199 freebore. If I was running true vld’s or lighter bullets, I’d go shorter. In other words, if it will take the eld, it will take the Berger. It would be worth a call to them to see if it’s just freebore, or lead angle, or something proprietary perhaps.

My buddy has a MPA built 6.5CM that is throated for the Hornady 140 ELD-M, just like yours. He had success finding a load for the 140s during development, and I think he had even better results using the 147 ELD-M.

I think you will probably find that it will shoot well with a range of projectiles around the 140s.

I’ve got a mpa 6.5 creedmoor that is chambered for 140 eld stamped on barrel. I shoot the eld .020 off the lands and 140 Berger hybrids with a .050 jump to fit in mag and it shoots both equally well. They all shot good enough that I had to increase target distance and get chrono numbers when doing load development to tell a difference.