• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA Chassis and MDT mags

AR.Bear15

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2017
Looking for what you guys think of the MDT mags. i have an MPA lite chassis and was looking to get some of the MDT 223 mags and wondered if they work well with that chassis or if you have issues. Also any experiences with the MDT mags would be great!

Thanks!

Reactions: MDT_Josh
They work well in my KRG using 308 10rd for 6.5CM. Zero problems. The Pmag AICS mag works fine too, but the MDT is a little more compact and easier to insert when prone.

Looking for what you guys think of the MDT mags. i have an MPA lite chassis and was looking to get some of the MDT 223 mags and wondered if they work well with that chassis or if you have issues. Also any experiences with the MDT mags would be great!

Thanks!

Thanks for your interest AR.Bear15! All of our mags (barring our 3.560" LA magazines) are built to AICS pattern specifications and will fit any chassis/stock with that magwell inlet. I have personally seen our 223 and 308 mags run in almost every combination of stock/chassis/bottom metal out there, so I doubt you'd have any problems :D If you do, you can always contact us and we'll sort it right out.

Reactions: AR.Bear15
Thanks for your interest AR.Bear15! All of our mags (barring our 3.560" LA magazines) are built to AICS pattern specifications and will fit any chassis/stock with that magwell inlet. I have personally seen our 223 and 308 mags run in almost every combination of stock/chassis/bottom metal out there, so I doubt you'd have any problems :D If you do, you can always contact us and we'll sort it right out.
.223 mags are on back order right now :( was hopping to have one by next tuesday

Picked up 2 mdt 223 mags after having some hiccups with other mags. They feed 100% and will be buying a couple more

Reactions: AR.Bear15
Does anyone else have a problem with the 308 MDT poly mags popping the first cartridge up out of battery. I'm only loading five rounds in the 8 round magazine. I wonder if it's a factor that I habitually insert the mag with the bolt back? Any ideas? It happens a lot.

FYI, this is with a Howa 1500 .308 and the MDT LSS chassis.

Does anyone else have a problem with the 308 MDT poly mags popping the first cartridge up out of battery. I'm only loading five rounds in the 8 round magazine. I wonder if it's a factor that I habitually insert the mag with the bolt back? Any ideas? It happens a lot.

FYI, this is with a Howa 1500 .308 and the MDT LSS chassis.
308 is jumping out of the magazine?

308 is jumping out of the magazine?

Yes. It pops up at a steep angle instead of toward the chamber. I have to pull the bolt back a bit, let the cartridge settle, then push it forward into the chamber. The rounds are seated to COAL of 2.8

I should hook up my phone on a tripod and do a video of it.

To be fair, I really should try inserting the magazine with the bolt closed to compare.

Oddest thing.

Yes. It pops up at a steep angle instead of toward the chamber. I have to pull the bolt back a bit, let the cartridge settle, then push it forward into the chamber. The rounds are seated to COAL of 2.8

I should hook up my phone on a tripod and do a video of it.

To be fair, I really should try inserting the magazine with the bolt closed to compare.

Oddest thing.
Hey there! It sounds like your mag may have slightly out of tolerance feedlips, which is causing your rounds to unexpectedly "jump". If you send a support ticket to our customer service reps at [email protected], I'm sure we'll be able to sort you out with a new mag or a better solution than what you have now!

Josh

Hey there! It sounds like your mag may have slightly out of tolerance feedlips, which is causing your rounds to unexpectedly "jump". If you send a support ticket to our customer service reps at [email protected], I'm sure we'll be able to sort you out with a new mag or a better solution than what you have now!

Josh

Let me get back to the range next week and go through all the mags in a more scientific process. I've got ten of them, so I need to better isolate the problem. I really would like to set up my phone to get video of the event anyway. Once I've got more data, I can be more helpful in troubleshooting this.

Thanks much for the feedback. It's great to see a vendor keeping an eye on the grassroots customer base.

It's no worries! I am curious to hear more about the problem, because at the end of the day, we're all shooters too and want our products to be just as awesome as you guys want them to be! :D

I'm running a n MDT polymer mag in .308 in my 6.5 CM Savage mounted in an MDT LSS-XLGen2 loading 5 rounds at a time and it feeds like butter. I'm factory - Hornady 140 gr. ELD Match.

I'm really impressed with the MDT stuff overall.

VooDoo

It's no worries! I am curious to hear more about the problem, because at the end of the day, we're all shooters too and want our products to be just as awesome as you guys want them to be! :D

Josh;

I decided to test out my MDT polymer .308 magazines at home since the Howa 3 position safety allows for bolt operation. While pointing the rifle rest at a thick concrete wall, I cycled through all ten of my magazines with no problems. I even watched the close-up movie I made with my cell phone and watched all of the rounds sliding perfectly into battery.

The only possible cause I can image is the way I manually retrieve my fired cases from the action. This only happens at the range and is consistent. I imagine that I am somehow leaving the bolt partially forward when I remove the fired case. Apparently, it is forward just enough to begin feeding the round, but not square behind the case head, and manages to pop the next round upward.

I figured it was probably my fault and did not want to bother your tech support folks until I had a chance to explore further. I appear to be correct in that assumption.

All of my magazines appear to be of the same fine quality with the same tolerance on the feed lips.

Thanks again.

Josh;

I decided to test out my MDT polymer .308 magazines at home since the Howa 3 position safety allows for bolt operation. While pointing the rifle rest at a thick concrete wall, I cycled through all ten of my magazines with no problems. I even watched the close-up movie I made with my cell phone and watched all of the rounds sliding perfectly into battery.

The only possible cause I can image is the way I manually retrieve my fired cases from the action. This only happens at the range and is consistent. I imagine that I am somehow leaving the bolt partially forward when I remove the fired case. Apparently, it is forward just enough to begin feeding the round, but not square behind the case head, and manages to pop the next round upward.

I figured it was probably my fault and did not want to bother your tech support folks until I had a chance to explore further. I appear to be correct in that assumption.

All of my magazines appear to be of the same fine quality with the same tolerance on the feed lips.

Thanks again.

No problem! If you do run into any issues, no matter how big or small, we're always here to answer questions or diagnose issues with you. We've seen almost every combination of chassis/rifle failure and are always eager to learn more about how to make our products the best we can.

Josh

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I think after my last trip to the range, I figured out why I would sometimes have feeding problems with the first round up in my .308 MDT polymer magazines (10 round) in my MDT LSS chassis.

Being of the AR shooting tribe, I have a habit of slamming magazines home. Bad idea with the MDT polymer mags.

If you slap the mag into the DBM well, the top round is likely to pop up at least partially out of the feed lips. I don't believe it's a design problem, since the mags work just fine when their handled properly.

So, gently insert the mags. They very easily lock into the DBM.

Also, this is probably a non-issue on a closed bolt.

I think after my last trip to the range, I figured out why I would sometimes have feeding problems with the first round up in my .308 MDT polymer magazines (10 round) in my MDT LSS chassis.

Being of the AR shooting tribe, I have a habit of slamming magazines home. Bad idea with the MDT polymer mags.

If you slap the mag into the DBM well, the top round is likely to pop up at least partially out of the feed lips. I don't believe it's a design problem, since the mags work just fine when their handled properly.

So, gently insert the mags. They very easily lock into the DBM.

Also, this is probably a non-issue on a closed bolt.
Thanks for the update @TXSGFmrCWO3 !

Hey Josh.
I am assembling a MPA competition chassis with a Rem 700 224 Valkyrie BA.
Will your MDT 224 modified mags work out?
Thanks!

Hey Josh.
I am assembling a MPA competition chassis with a Rem 700 224 Valkyrie BA.
Will your MDT 224 modified mags work out?
Thanks!

Morning! That is a tricky one to answer as there is not a perfect solution (outside of AR magazines) yet for the bolt action 224 Valkyries. The best solution we have seen so far are the modified 223 magazines from Buck and the team at C&H Precision Weapons Systems which will latch in, feed well and hold 8 rounds.

There have been a handful of threads on here and Facebook of people trying to modify our MDT 6BR magazines to work, however, the case design of the 224V takes quite a lot of tinkering to get that to work. Asking @padom would be your best bet if you'd like to tinker with the metal magazine.

Reactions: KineticU